• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police encounter at softball game

greengum

There are 2 versions of what happened tonight at Morell park in Henderson. The first is from my POV and only what I saw and heard with my own eyes, ears. The 2nd is what friends and family heard being said in the stands which I cannot confirm with certainty because I was not there.

My little sister had her first softball game tonight. I went straight from work to her game. I walked up to the field, said hi to my family and walked down the 3rd baseline where her dugout was. My father joined me a few minutes later to have a smoke. Before his smoke was out Henderson PD was there. 1 K9 and 2 other SUV's. They have a meeting for about 2 minutes while looking my way. I am about 100 yards from them and the parking lot. 2 of them make their way to me while 1 stayed back. I looked back over at them and they were walking rather casually towards me. They informed me they got a call that I had a gun tucked into my pants gangster style without a holster. I told them I was just open carrying watching my sister play ball. They said sorry that they had to make contact and pretty much that was it.

They view from the grandstands was much different. Once again this part is hearsay and third hand telling, even though it includes family and friends. A Henderson police detective was in the stands at the time. (I can confirm that a man in a dress shirt was open carrying a 1911) His wife was the one who got upset seeing me OC. She made him text HPD to check me out. After the cops left she yelled at him saying "you are the head detective in this city and you can't even stop a guy carrying a gun at our daughters softball game!?!?!" She was rather livid according to some people.

HPD was great. They smiled the whole time and apologized. The detectives wife made herself look like an idiot. The worst part was my sisters team lost like 20-2.

The most confusing thing is how can a detectives wife who is with her husband who is open carrying be upset when a pleb like myself does the same thing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sounds pretty tame.

Except for part where the cops lied about Mexican carry. The detective didn't text that. Not when its traceable back to him. Cops might lie to citizens, but I can't see a detective exaggerating to the cops who are going to investigate.

And, except for the part where cops investigated a human right, an enumerated right.

Does Nevada have a Sunshine Law/Freedom of Information statute? It might be kinda interesting to see what was texted. "My wife won't shut up until somebody checks out this guy open carrying a gun. Can you send somebody to check him out?" :)

28kfps

Thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like Henderson PD has a good handle on what the carry laws are and how to handle a legal carried firearm.
I am sorry for the very, very sad news about your lose. That is your sister not wining the ball game.

The Big Guy

Thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like Henderson PD has a good handle on what the carry laws are and how to handle a legal carried firearm.
I am sorry for the very, very sad news about your lose. That is your sister not wining the ball game.

I would have been tempted to go sit right next to her in the stands. I'm guessing the only reason they came out was because another cop called it in.

TBG

ManInBlack

A Henderson police detective was in the stands at the time. (I can confirm that a man in a dress shirt was open carrying a 1911) His wife was the one who got upset seeing me OC. She made him text HPD to check me out. After the cops left she yelled at him saying "you are the head detective in this city and you can't even stop a guy carrying a gun at our daughters softball game!?!?!" She was rather livid according to some people.

1. That shrew needs to be tamed.

2. That detective needs to put on his big-boy pants.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I guess I'm still wondering why you'd carry a handgun without a holster? Maybe I missed something there, but a holster is reasonable for carry and for safety in carrying. Could you please elaborate on that for us?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Howdy Amigo!
I guess I'm still wondering why you'd carry a handgun without a holster? Maybe I missed something there, but a holster is reasonable for carry and for safety in carrying. Could you please elaborate on that for us?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

You should read all the posts, it was not Mexican carry, that appears to have been a lie perpetrated by the LEO to justify the rights violation..

carracer

Just curious, what was your sidearm of choice, and, type and brand of holster?

I'm just always interested in whar others carry. I have a Colt 1911 and Ruger LC9.

The 1911 I carry in Serpa and the lc9 in a Desantis iwb with the shirt tucked behind so it shows the grip and top of holster.

MKEgal

Even if it were simply pushed in his waistband, is that illegal there?
What if he were using one of those mini holsters for Glocks which only cover the trigger & trigger guard?

greengum said:
A Henderson police detective was in the stands at the time. (I can confirm that a man in a dress shirt was open carrying a 1911) His wife was the one who got upset seeing me OC.
Um, yeah... she's got her own personal protection detail but nobody else is worthy enough to protect themselves? Sounds like a case of "only one" by proxy.

"you are the head detective in this city and you can't even stop a guy carrying a gun at our daughters softball game!?!?!"
"No, dear, I have no authority to tell someone to stop doing something which is legal. Beyond that, it's a protected civil right & I swore an oath to uphold the laws & the Constitution."
(And no, the other officers did not have to investigate, or at least did not have to contact you. They could have watched from a distance, reported no crime that they could see, & gone on their way.)

Citizen said:
Cops might lie to citizens, but I can't see a detective exaggerating to the cops who are going to investigate.
It has been my experience that some officers lie in their official reports, make up lies to cover their own ineptitude & lack of knowledge about the law, testilie in court... why wouldn't they lie to their co-workers any other time?

It might be kinda interesting to see what was texted. "My wife won't shut up until somebody checks out this guy open carrying a gun. Can you send somebody to check him out?" :)
Oh, yeah... Do it.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Good Job Green, Nevada Has a public records law, But Since Green is a "Party" to this action it falls under I believe NRS 179A not 239... The hardest thing to remember in these situations is to get your "Event Number" So I am not trying to play monday morning QB, But that makes a statement, When the cop turns to leave:

Me, Officer, your not going to Cite me?

Officer, No Sir Have a nice Day.

Me, Can I have My event Number please?

If you ever get arrested for open carrying etc. you will have an event number showing a pattern and practice of OCing, instead of just the one event that led to the arrest.

bc.cruiser

You should read all the posts, it was not Mexican carry, that appears to have been a lie perpetrated by the LEO to justify the rights violation..

The gentleman you quoted and replied to is usually too polite to answer a post like this. I'm not. I also re-read the original post and the follow-ons. Until 1hr 12 min later, when to OP stated "It was holstered", there was no mention of how the OP was actually carrying. Even Citizen jumped in with"...lied about Mexican carry.", when method had not been clearly posted.

The cops were there responding to a call. That they informed the OC of why they were checking him out should be a plus; they apparently did not feel a need to ask him for ID or explanation.

OP: Others have posted about establishing background for your OC. Go for it; it may be useful some day.

Rollbar

Good Job Green, Nevada Has a public records law, But Since Green is a "Party" to this action it falls under I believe NRS 179A not 239... The hardest thing to remember in these situations is to get your "Event Number" So I am not trying to play monday morning QB, But that makes a statement, When the cop turns to leave:

Me, Officer, your not going to Cite me?

Officer, No Sir Have a nice Day.

Me, Can I have My event Number please?

If you ever get arrested for open carrying etc. you will have an event number showing a pattern and practice of OCing, instead of just the one event that led to the arrest.

That is some good info right there and should be made a sticky IMHO.

Savvyshamrock

I guess I'm odd girl out here... But personally the situation makes me feel better in general about police.

With the way the world is (which is why I have a gun) I feel better that they came up, checked it out, didn't make it out into a big deal and moved on. If this were a different situation where the OP opened fire on the stands due to baby mamma drama and no one had came to check it out after the text, everyone would be outraged. They were polite, I didn't get the impression that he felt hassled about it and if he would have been a crazed lunatic who started ranting and raving something bad could have been prevented.

Trust but verify! =)

FallonJeeper

I guess I'm odd girl out here... But personally the situation makes me feel better in general about police.

With the way the world is (which is why I have a gun) I feel better that they came up, checked it out, didn't make it out into a big deal and moved on. If this were a different situation where the OP opened fire on the stands due to baby mamma drama and no one had came to check it out after the text, everyone would be outraged. They were polite, I didn't get the impression that he felt hassled about it and if he would have been a crazed lunatic who started ranting and raving something bad could have been prevented.

Trust but verify! =)

If the police were called to investigate every man/woman with a gun, based on what MIGHT happen, they wouldn't have time to work real crimes.

I'm hoping for a day when people observe a man/woman with a gun and accept it as the norm, not a potential crime scene.

People are stabbed with knives and puposely run over with cars, but the police don't investigate every person holding a knife or driving a car because they MIGHT stab or run over their baby mama.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

More than one occifer is arguably a non-consensual detention, three and a dog are definitely force majeure. We have only the rights that we defend. Many citizens would not go so easily and quickly to their knees.

Vegassteve

Trust but verify! =)

Would you feel the same fuzzy feeling if they came and checked out every minority as well? Because some people you know are not comfy around minorities.

Savvyshamrock

Would you feel the same fuzzy feeling if they came and checked out every minority as well? Because some people you know are not comfy around minorities.

You mean like the laws in AZ that were so controversial? I had no outward opinion on the topic, but I'm also the whitest white girl in any room. =)

I'm perfectly fine that people don't agree with me, but having been at Virginia Tech, I feel better that if someone speaks up that something feels wrong, that it's checked out. If I see someone poking around looking fishy, I call security or the police. My version of fishy is probably more lax than the lady in the stands, but they didn't harass the guy they only verified that everything was on the up and up.

I simply stated my perspective which is something that each and every person develops due to their own circumstances. Feel free to argue how I'm wrong, but you are as unlikely to change my mind as I am to change yours. =)

ManInBlack

If I see someone poking around looking fishy, I call security or the police.

Oh, yes, by all means, summon armed strangers to any situation which makes you vaguely uncomfortable. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

/sarcasm

Shame on you.

ETA: Calling the police on any person who a reasonable person would believe is not actively causing harm to life, liberty, or property or creating an imminent threat to the same should be a felony. By doing so, tragic past experience shows that you are negligently placing the subject's life in jeopardy.

Last edited:

DocWalker

You mean like the laws in AZ that were so controversial? I had no outward opinion on the topic, but I'm also the whitest white girl in any room. =)

I'm perfectly fine that people don't agree with me, but having been at Virginia Tech, I feel better that if someone speaks up that something feels wrong, that it's checked out. If I see someone poking around looking fishy, I call security or the police. My version of fishy is probably more lax than the lady in the stands, but they didn't harass the guy they only verified that everything was on the up and up.

I simply stated my perspective which is something that each and every person develops due to their own circumstances. Feel free to argue how I'm wrong, but you are as unlikely to change my mind as I am to change yours. =)

I can understand you calling the cops if you think something is wrong but the point others are trying to make is why didn't the cops just observe. Why did they even have to make contact? The fact they even spoke to him because someone fell uncomfortable about someone doing nothing wrong is infact wrong.

If you are wearing a shirt that makes me feel uncomfortable should the cops talk to you? If I don't like what you say (1st AD) then should the cops speak to you? If I feel uncomfortable around you because you are a girl should you be harrassed? It is the problem of the person that feels uncomfortable not the person doing nothing wrong.