• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police messed up... this guy is getting paid!

FreeInAZ

I'm always late to the party -.- :banghead:

Well let's hope he invests some of his settlement he (may) get in situational awareness & firearm retention classes. :banghead:
This picture does not flatter any of us as responsible pistol carriers.
opencarry.jpg

eye95

The other discussions are in the Ohio forum. It is good that this is being discussed in the general area too.

We don't know that Roy is getting paid. He is suing. If he wins, he will likely get paid something; we don't know what.

St. John in New Mexico got $14,000 from the officers, nothing from the city or the PD.

I hope Roy get a huge award, both for his trouble and to make LEOs think twice before they enforce mythology instead of enforcing the law.

sraacke

Sadly we've had OCers arrested here in La and more often than not they are told by their lawyers to remove any mention of the arrest including pleas for legal assistance. Glad to see some other OCers able to stand up to the abuses inflicted upon them and able to prevail.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This case is rock-solid textbook of what cops can and can not do:

"Police cannot detain citizens and demand identification with no good reason. Call was well within his rights and Ohio laws clearly backed him up. Police could not have taken action against Call unless it appeared that he was about to commit a crime, and the mere presence of a firearm does not constitute suspicion.

"Riverside police Chief Mark Reiss argued, “Had he been truthful with the police and simply provided his identification so that they could have quickly ran it, that encounter would have been over very quickly, within a minute or two.”

"Technically that is true, but the only problem is that Call was under no legal obligation to pacify the police officers. Call’s refusal to identify himself was a Constitutional right."

I would add one thing to the last statement: We citizens have no obligation to pacify police officers who're overstepping the legal bounds of their authority. We most certainly do, however, have the right to remain silent, as well as the right to sue police departments and municipalities whose law enforcement officers violate the law.