• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police point guns at man with lit cigarette.

buster81

Cigarettes are now weapons in Canada????

Standing on a staircase inside the front door early Friday morning, Dorian Kennedy saw the red beam of a tactical team cop’s gun squarely on his chest shortly after midnight Friday while the heavily armed officers were at a fourplex to respond to a call about a firearm seen nearby.

Police spokesman Const. Shaun Chornley said officers were "absolutely not" overreacting to the cigarette.

"It's a lit cigarette. He can use it as a weapon, either burning the officer or poking him in the eye with it -- anything," Chornley said of any potential suspect who is smoking while cops close in.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/02/13/17262821.html

devildoc5

No F-ing way!!!

It sounds like the only hope for our neighbors to the north now is for them to take up charges with the international court about the treatment of its citizens.

And we all know that won't work either....

MKEgal

That's utterly ridiculous!
I mean, yes, smoking kills, but it takes a long time.
As for the possibility of harming an officer, how 'bout staying out of range, huh?

And do they require everyone they see to empty their hands of everything? Pens & screwdrivers can be used to stab, hot coffee or other fluid can be damaging to the eyes... Oh wait, read further in the article:
"It would make sense to have nothing in his hands when he's taken into custody."
Um, hello?
The man is smoking.
He's harming himself & anyone who breathes the smoke, but that's not (yet) a reason to arrest him, even in Canada.

Besides, the article says the guy was
Standing on a staircase inside the front door...
So he's in his own home, doing something legal, & the cops threaten his life??

I hope the officer is reprimanded.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Not likely. They don't seem to care too much about the people up that way.

Yea they don't seem to care much about the people here either. I feel in many cases we are only a few steps behind our Canadian brothers. When they a cop can shoot a well known Native American wood carver, and not even be tried for the murder he committed against the wishes of the public outcry.........

patrick35

And do they require everyone they see to empty their hands of everything? Pens & screwdrivers can be used to stab, hot coffee or other fluid can be damaging to the eyes...

for my self i will have to remove my hands because i can use them to strangle anyone or use my fist as a weapon , how can i remove my hands without hurting my self and put it back on later ....

cop and citizen that will ( if ever ) open carry in canada don't mix at all ....

pat .

.45acp

Hey, Smoking is a serious issue in the "Great Northern Workers Paradise”, guy should be glad they did not shoot him. Probably would have justified it by “He was attacking people with 2nd hand smoke”.

I spent two years working in Canada, it was miserable from the day I arrived until the day I left. I have been offered several jobs in Mini Me since….the answer is not No…it is hell no.

noname762

Hey, Smoking is a serious issue in the "Great Northern Workers Paradise”, guy should be glad they did not shoot him. Probably would have justified it by “He was attacking people with 2nd hand smoke”.

I spent two years working in Canada, it was miserable from the day I arrived until the day I left. I have been offered several jobs in Mini Me since….the answer is not No…it is hell no.

Just one more good reason to NOT MOVE TO CANADA.

Canuck cops are pussies when citizens are nearby with lit cigs.