• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police smashed a car window/taser passenger during routine traffic stop in Indiana

OC for ME

In a statement, Hammond police told the news site: 'The Hammond police officers were at all times acting in the interest of officer safety and in accordance with Indiana law.

'In general, police officers who make legal traffic stops are allowed to ask passengers inside of a stopped vehicle for identification and to request that they exit a stopped vehicle for the officer's safety without a requirement of reasonable suspicion.'
Is "In general" code for "under state statute?" Is a passenger required to carry ID in Indiana?

Primus

Is "In general" code for "under state statute?" Is a passenger required to carry ID in Indiana?
They can ask all they want. Just can't demand unless they are committing an infraction like no seat belt.

If no ID then nothing to give besides verbal ID.

warvet68/69

rightwinglibertarian

Good gracious. So Indiana passed a law which specifically legalises the use of deadly force and the officer still assaults citizens? I would find it hard to believe that the use of extreme force wasn't warranted when you have an officer pointing his gun at innocent (yea ok a seatbelt violation, big deal) citizens with children around. He's very lucky to get away with that - at least until it gets to the courts.

WalkingWolf

Kopis

Add me to that list, anymore some police are not bashful about lying.

watch the video. he does turn around and try to get in the back seat. he was just being a jerk to the cops. i dont know the law but i dont imagine you can sit in a car, refuse to roll the window down/get out of the car/provide ID and expect nothing to happen. Whether the LEOs are in the right/wrong refusing an order on the side of the street will only end in situations like that. they love their authority.

Do you think you're just going to be able to drive off at some point? I love the lady asking for a lieutenant and the guy responds "you see these bars?" like i know wtf that means.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

watch the video. he does turn around and try to get in the back seat. he was just being a jerk to the cops. i dont know the law but i dont imagine you can sit in a car, refuse to roll the window down/get out of the car/provide ID and expect nothing to happen. Whether the LEOs are in the right/wrong refusing an order on the side of the street will only end in situations like that. they love their authority.

The police only have power to exert authority when a person violates a law, or there is RAS that they violated the law. There is no law for anything you described above, and no reason for a person to comply to nonsense. And then when they outright lie and nothing is done, twice mind you. These officers have already cost their tax payers money for police misconduct. Situation like what happened to this man will only result in his large increase in his bank account. Lawyers love their litigation.

Maverick9

Do you think you're just going to be able to drive off at some point? I love the lady asking for a lieutenant and the guy responds "you see these bars?" like i know wtf that means.

OMG, he turns around as the glass is broken flying into his face. There is NO SUCH OFFENSE as "Being a jerk to the cops". As the passenger, he has no cause to do anything but sit there.

The cops have a right to give the person a ticket for not using seat belts and that's it.

willy1094

OMG, he turns around as the glass is broken flying into his face. There is NO SUCH OFFENSE as "Being a jerk to the cops". As the passenger, he has no cause to do anything but sit there.

The cops have a right to give the person a ticket for not using seat belts and that's it.

I only ask this with the assumption that he in fact did NOT have his seat belt on: Wouldn't the issuance of the citation require identification? While an ID should not be required (non needed to be a passenger), verbal identification could be demanded at that point, right? I also thought that the police could order you out of the vehicle but that you did not have to answer questions as a passenger.

**These are questions and in no way an attempt to defend/condemn these officers.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

The police only have power to exert authority when a person violates a law, or there is RAS that they violated the law.

You err. In the long standing tradition of the SCOTUS's treasonous failure to protect the people's rights against the government's constant full court press to enslave us they have decided that during a traffic stop the cop (in the name of cop safety) can control passengers. They can make you get out the car completely absent of suspicion of a crime.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/519/408/case.html
"In this case we consider whether the rule of Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U. S. 106 (1977) (per curiam), that a police officer may as a matter of course order the driver of a lawfully stopped car to exit his vehicle, extends to passengers as well. We hold that it does."

bomber

You err. In the long standing tradition of the SCOTUS's treasonous failure to protect the people's rights against the government's constant full court press to enslave us they have decided that during a traffic stop the cop (in the name of cop safety) can control passengers. They can make you get out the car completely absent of suspicion of a crime.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/519/408/case.html
"In this case we consider whether the rule of Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U. S. 106 (1977) (per curiam), that a police officer may as a matter of course order the driver of a lawfully stopped car to exit his vehicle, extends to passengers as well. We hold that it does."

Once again, officer safety trumps individual rights