• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Popup ads and HTML refreshing out of control

compmanio365

imported post

I see there are already new ads up. I really don't mind seeing the ads that are custom and don't contain sound and such, if it helps out the site owner. Problem is that when you use an ad provider, there's all sorts of crappy ads with flash, spyware, etc. So I block em. I've already clicked on a couple of the ones I've seen now that there is new ads because I genuinely am interested in what they are advertising. Seems like this will be a much better way to go.

xd.40

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I see there are already new ads up. I really don't mind seeing the ads that are custom and don't contain sound and such, if it helps out the site owner. Problem is that when you use an ad provider, there's all sorts of crappy ads with flash, spyware, etc. So I block em. I've already clicked on a couple of the ones I've seen now that there is new ads because I genuinely am interested in what they are advertising. Seems like this will be a much better way to go.
+1 on that. These are ad's that I don't mind.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Yes. These are NOT ads served by an ad provider. These are holster and accessory companies that stepped up and offered to sponsor banner ads. Please support these guys and let them know you saw their ads on OCDO!

compmanio365 wrote:

zoom6zoom

imported post

Thanks for taking care of us!

There's no need to use IE for those occassional sites that say they require it... download the "User Agent Switcher" plugin for Firefox, you can set it on the fly to tell a site that it's being visited by IE, Opera, or whatever you choose.

nova

imported post

Thanks Mr. Pierce. The site seems to be loading much faster now on this computer (IE 6).

On my laptopI run Firefox with ABP and no matter how many times I specifically blocked adbrite it would still keep trying to load them, and would frequently cause the page to stop loading OCDO forum pages.That was a few days ago though so I don't know how Firefox will run it (I'm sure it's fine though, since IE is running faster now).

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

You should be fine now. AdBrite is 100% gone. These ads are local banners that simply point to the sponsor's web site.

I apologize again for all the trouble that AdBrite caused. I did research them but obviously did not do a good enough job and for that I can only say I am truly sorry!

nova wrote:
Thanks Mr. Pierce. The site seems to be loading much faster now on this computer (IE 6).

On my laptopI run Firefox with ABP and no matter how many times I specifically blocked adbrite it would still keep trying to load them, and would frequently cause the page to stop loading OCDO forum pages.That was a few days ago though so I don't know how Firefox will run it (I'm sure it's fine though, since IE is running faster now).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks, John. I know we all appreciate the attentive response. And running these kind of tailored ads is better in the long run anyway. The advertisers are going to get more clickthroughs, and as users we are more likely to see ads that we don't ignore outright.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
That's so odd because I use IE7, I have no pop-up blocker enabled, and minimum security all around,yet I almost never get pop-ups, I never have problems (knock on wood), and it's the fastest and cleanest running browsers I've used. I don't understand why people love firefox so much. I've used it on a few different computers and I couldn't tell a bit of difference.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811

Major flaw revealed in Internet Explorer; users urged to switch

The major press outlets are abuzz this morning with news of a major new security flaw that affects all versions of Internet Explorer from IE5 to the latest beta of IE8. The attack has serious and far-reaching ramifications -- and they're not just theoretical attacks. In fact, the flaw is already in wide use as a tool to steal online game passwords, with some 10,000 websites infected with the code needed to take advantage of the hole in IE.Virtually all security experts (as well as myself) are counseling users to switch to any other web browser -- none of the others are affected, including Firefox, Chrome, and Opera -- at least for the time being, though Microsoft has stubbornly said it "cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw." Microsoft adds that it is working on a fix but has offered no ETA on when that might happen. Meanwhile it offers some suggestions for a temporary patch, including setting your Internet security zone settings to "high" and offering some complicated workarounds. (Some reports state, however, that the fixes do not actually work.)
Expedient patching or switching are essential. Security pros fear that the attack will soon spread beyond the theft of gaming passwords and into more criminal arenas, as the malicious code can be placed on any website and can be adapted to steal any password stored or entered using the browser. It's now down to the issue of time: Will Microsoft repair the problem and distribute a patch quickly enough to head off the tsunami of fraud that's about to hit or will it come too late to do any good?
Meanwhile, I'll reiterate my recommendation: Switch from Internet Explorer as soon as you can. You can always switch back once the threat is eliminated.