• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Popup ads and HTML refreshing out of control

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So, I generally try not to run my browsers in heavy-duty ad protection mode, because I generally try to avoid sites with annoying ads in the first place (take note, admins).

At any rate, I go to browse OCDO today, using a browser not set to block HTML refreshing, and lo and behold pages are refreshing on me during mid-read, taking me to off-site advertisers, and generally annoying me.

Anybody else experience this? Now, obviously I should block HTML refreshing, but I don't think OCDO is wise to be running ads like this in the first place.

What say you?

mobeewan

imported post

Once in a while I have had the sameannoying ad that keeps poping up 2 or 3 times even when closing it. It only happens on OCDO.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

marshaul wrote:
So, I generally try not to run my browsers in heavy-duty ad protection mode, because I generally try to avoid sites with annoying ads in the first place (take note, admins).

At any rate, I go to browse OCDO today, using a browser not set to block HTML refreshing, and lo and behold pages are refreshing on me during mid-read, taking me to off-site advertisers, and generally annoying me.

Anybody else experience this? Now, obviously I should block HTML refreshing, but I don't think OCDO is wise to be running ads like this in the first place.

What say you?

You have spyware.

Yes you do, stop denying it

No, seriously, you do... I work tech support for a living.

download, install, and use this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
marshaul wrote:

What say you?

You have spyware.

Yes, I do have spyware, and right now that includes the keylogger I'm running on your machine. :p

Edit: On the other hand, on the off chance that you're serious, allow me to inform you that tech support makes me giggle. :lol:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
marshaul wrote:

What say you?

You have spyware.

Yes, I do have spyware, and right now that includes the keylogger I'm running on your machine. :p

Edit: On the other hand, on the off chance that you're serious, allow me to inform you that tech support makes me giggle. :lol:
Giggle all you want. I don't have spyware.

MarkNH

State Researcher

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I have a desktop and a laptop here at work running IE. No popups.

I have 2 desktops at home both running Firefox. 1 is linux, the other is vista. Also havethe laptop running vista with firefox. I have adds turned off on the home pc's, but I can't install anything at work.

This IS user error.

PEBKAC!

P.S.

the add at the top right of the forum is NOT "browser refresh," its just aphp applet.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I posted this thread hours ago, and the refreshing issue has since been (in my case) entirely resolved. Go back and play with your little computer-toys now. :p

Let me give you some advice: as a tech support guy, you are unwise to presume you know more about computers than random people on the internet. You're only likely to be right once. In this case you didn't even get that lucky.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

I have not got any popups, I am talking about a redirect that takes the browser away from opencarry.org without me clicking or interacting with the page in any way. It had only happened to me one time and I am trying to remember which adbrite served ad was showing at the time (been moving around the site but the same ad hasn't been served again).

It is not user error.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MarkNH wrote:
I have not got any popups, I am talking about a redirect that takes the browser away from opencarry.org without me clicking or interacting with the page in any way. It had only happened to me one time and I am trying to remember which adbrite served ad was showing at the time (been moving around the site but the same ad hasn't been served again).

It is not user error.
Yes, and one of the redirects contained a popup, at least at 10pm last night. Definitely not user error, but then I wouldn't have posted this thread if I didn't already know conclusively that user error had been eliminated.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I have 2 desktops at home both running Firefox. 1 is linux, the other is vista. Also have the laptop running vista with firefox. I have adds turned off on the home pc's, but I can't install anything at work.
Ooh, does this mean we get to have a measuring contest? How many OSes do you think I'm running in my house, right now? I'll give you bonus points if you can guess how many I've got running at my colo, as well. :p

Edit: Alright, I'm sorry, I shouldn't pick on your because you work tech support. Sometimes I just... amuse myself. :lol:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I have 2 desktops at home both running Firefox. 1 is linux, the other is vista. Also havethe laptop running vista with firefox. I have adds turned off on the home pc's, but I can't install anything at work.
Ooh, does this mean we get to have a measuring contest? How many OSes do you think I'm running in my house, right now? I'll give you bonus points if you can guess how many I've got running at my colo, as well. :p

Edit: Alright, I'm sorry, I shouldn't pick on your because you work tech support. Sometimes I just... amuse myself. :lol:
Feel better now?

If you know so much why did you post at all?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I posted because for a short while last the forum was basically useless (or would have been for the average visitor). I thought the admins might want to let their hosts at mywowbb know that something should be done.

What I'm not sure is why you posted. My computers don't like being accused of having malware! :shock: How would you like it if I called you ugly? :p

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, I posted because for a short while last the forum was basically useless (or would have been for the average visitor). I thought the admins might want to let their hosts at mywowbb know that something should be done.

What I'm not sure is why you posted. My computers don't like being accused of having malware! :shock: How would you like it if I called you ugly? :p

Come on, he was just trying to be helpful.

Spybot is by far the best spyware remove I've found, just as an aside. Doesn't hurt to run a scan.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

marshaul wrote:

OK fine I can agree to stop being mean.

But....

9 times out of ten, in the past 27 years I've been using computers... the issue you described points to some kind of user error.

sorry :banghead:

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I always surf with Firefox, running Script Blocker. So, I haven't seen any of those problems.

It can be a bit of an annoyance having to unblock web sites to see certain content, but to me at least, it is less of an annoyance than dealing with unwanted advertisements, and web pages taking over my computer.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Come on, he was just trying to be helpful.

Spybot is by far the best spyware remove I've found, just as an aside.  Doesn't hurt to run a scan.
I know, I know. I said I was sorry. :p

I simply found the spyware accusation inordinately hilarious, but I'm over it now. Apologies to all. /thread

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

As a (former) IT Tech (not tech support, but the actual tech) I must admit that my first suggestion to your problem would be to run a spyware/virus scan on your machine. That having been done I would then proceed to checking out your mouse, especially if you have a 'touch pad' type mouse on a laptop, i have found them to be especially problematic (I have one that seems to randomly 'click' without me being anywhere near it...) then with the added information of other users having the same problem, i would go to the ad host, as it seems was the case in this specific case, but certainly NOT the norm in the tech realm.
I am a little curious as to what browser you all are using that have had this issue. I personally use Firefox almost exclusively (except for a few sites that I have to use that require IE) and have not seen this issue. There may be a 'exploit' for IE that the ad writer is useing and an update to your IE may fix this issue.