• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Port Huron PD hosting a buyback program

eye95

1. Are background checks going to be run on the individual taking possession of the firearms—for each individual purchase from each individual?

2. $200 for handguns? I sell some new ones for $135. Buying them with the intent of selling them to someone else would be illegal (straw purchase), however, they say, “No questions asked.” Money-making opportunity?

3. The prices being offered are bargains in many instances. Anyone thinking about outbidding the cops? There might be bargains to be had. Be careful, though. You could end up buying a gun with a body on it.

Port Huron is northeast of Detroit, a bit far for me to travel, or I would consider exercising various and sundry Rights in the vicinity of the “buy-back”.

BTW, you can’t buy back something you never owned!

BTW2, the buy-back is funded by Acheson Ventures. This is their website:

Just in case someone was considering some activism directed against these wackadoodles.

solus

Uh, er, hummm what is a “verified high-powered rifle”?
From OP’s cite, quote:

Those interested could receive up to $300 for verified high-powered rifles, up to $200 for handguns, $150 for rifles and $100 for shotguns. Unquote

Oh, how are the nice LEs going to know if the firearm is functional?

As for NICS bkgnd cks for private, none needed for handgun if buyer has privilege card and none need for LG period. [28.422a]

Firearms Iinstuctor

Those interested could receive up to $300 for verified high-powered rifles, up to $200 for handguns, $150 for rifles and $100 for shotguns. Unquote

Do mean I might get 300.00 for my custom 416mag and not get it for my AR 5.56 or is it the other way around so confusing I just might have to stay home.

To bad it is not near me I have 3 or so broken 32 break open revolvers I would love to get 200 each for.

heck I would settle for 100.

griffin

eye95, a straw purchase is buying a gun for someone else using that person's money. Buying a gun for someone else to gift (or sell later because you decided you didn't like the gun) isn't a straw purchase. Of course, buying a selling a lot of guns could be construed by the ATF as a business, not a hobby, so FFL required for that.

eye95

If you purchase a firearm without intending to give it to someone else and taking their money in return, then it is not a straw purchase. If you buy it with the intent of immediately turning it over to someone else and being reimbursed, then it is a straw purchase.

The person who ultimately ends up with the gun after giving you money does not have to have intent to use you as a straw purchaser, nor does he or she have to be a prohibited person for the original purchaser to have broken the law. If one buys a gun not intending to be the actual buyer, then it is a straw purchase. (Refer to the first question yes/no on the 4473.)

The key is the intent of the buyer at the time of purchase. Is he or she actually buying the firearm with the intent to be the owner of it? If not, it is a straw purchase.

I sell firearms for a living. What will be seen as a straw purchase comes from ATF agents who monitor our activities.

griffin

Is he or she actually buying the firearm with the intent to be the owner of it? If not, it is a straw purchase.

Not accurate. A firearm can be purchased with the intent to be gifted to another and that is legal. If you buy a firearm then decide to sell it later that is also legal (as you said, the original intent was not to resell).

From the 4473: 13563

eye95

I wasn’t addressing gifting. I deliberately avoided that nit.

I was talking about buying a firearm with the intent, at the time of purchase, to resell it.

I know what I am talking about. Moving on. It is not my intent to destroy this thread. Yours?

solus

Griffin, the nuances will constantly change and remember he ‘sells’ guns for a living but don’t forget eye95 isn't the designated ‘responsible person’ per se so he ‘listens’ to those monitoring agents who are sometimes incorrect in their interpretation or application of federal standards.

If i as an unlicensed person buy a firearm, don’t like it and turn around and sell said recent purchased firearm it is not strawman action nor illegal - period.

‘Sides he has moved on cuz it wasn’t his intent to post misdirecting & misinformation out of the blue!

QUOTE="eye95, post: 2238175, member: 43541"]
I wasn’t addressing gifting. I deliberately avoided that nit.

I was talking about buying a firearm with the intent, at the time of purchase, to resell it.

I know what I am talking about. Moving on. It is not my intent to destroy this thread. Yours?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited: