• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Your SC Open Carry Experiences

Trucker Twotimes

Update

I have in past years many moons ago owned a Jennings 9mm:banghead: I wouldn't have told just anyone this, needless to say something in it broke and I wasn't interested enough in guns to fix it or have it fixed, so I traded it to my daddy in law for a Mauser 7mm and all my brother in laws and him were big on deer hunting, I had owned a black powder gun in the past even before the cheap 9 and have stood in a tree all morning from just before daylight to dinner time with the opportunity finally coming into range, so I cocked the hammer back and "ping" nothing, turned out the cap got moisture in it from the misting rain lol

Getting on with the current topic now, I live in an apartment building in Pennington Gap VA and had a neighbor move in below me from Detroit we became good friends at the time he had traded out and sold all his guns but a few months after he was settled in bought a Derringer 22 magnum and holster, even after becoming close friends with him when I first saw him wearing it, it gave me a kind of an uneasy feeling, of course he let me look at it, hold it and shoot it, that's when I got interested myself. After living in VA for years I did not know it was an open carry state until my friend from Detroit told me, imagine that....

My buddy wore his derringer in the stores and out everywhere he went, I thought that would be an uneasy feeling for me thinking about what if you come into contact with someone that may be a smart a** or suicidal what then??? I still don't know the answer to this thought today.

as you may guess the fever caught me and I ended up buying a Pardner Pump 12 ga that was only like $187.00 at Wally World, my buddy had moved out into the country just before that with 20 acres of land so we enjoyed target shooting I bought a case of 4" clays and we hung them on the fence and trees just for still target practice, I loved it :D

later on I ended up buying his 22 mag that thing was louder than my shot gun by far even louder than the 308 another friend of ours has, it was music to my ears, then he traded an electric acoustic guitar to another friend for a Bersa mod 85 380 cal with a magazine that holds 13 rounds, (which I would like to have a second mag but only place I found on the www was $75 used and $100 new for the 13 round, I'd settle for a less expensive 7 or 8 round for a normal price though) I soon started marveling over that unit and ended up trading him back the derringer plus a CVA break down type 50 cal black powder for the Bersa

now I have a g/f that lives here in SC and I spend a lot of time down here, I have passed up the opportunity to get a carry permit in VA because of the $45 paper work charge, they give a 2 hr class in the court house every 3rd Thursday but I still shudder at the cost of the $45 for something I feel like is already mine to start with.

Then down here in SC I go into a gun shop that has a sign on the front door and see the Gun Class schedule sign and ask how much? it is $145.00 down here in SC and there is an 8 hour class, I've read lots about gun classes and such on the internet and have read people enjoy them but the $145.00 just bites me.....

I really would like to learn what 8 hours vs 2 hours of gun classing has to teach but think this should be free in a state that requires a ccp, it's like VA does not even require a permit to open carry and SC charges a great sum for the permit that is required, I asked the gun store clerk if being an NRA member which I am has a discount? he said it is an NRA class like that's a great deal :confused:

So here I am, thinking when I go back to VA I will do the 2 hr free training since I already can shoot the center out of a 4" clay out at 11 feet and 11 feet btw is the distance in my apartment from the edge of the farthest room doorway to the front door and I have already broke down and cleaned both guns, the 12 gauge was a little problem putting back together since the left shell holder fell out and that wasn't in front of me on the YouTube video I watched with the breakdown and put back together show and even with the owners manual book showing the part took 5 times of taking it apart a putting it back together to get it right, but I got it.

This has been a short story by: TruckerTwotimes lol short in relation to writing a book I guess, anyhow it is great to meet everyone on here, take care and get in touch with me on the www I'm back quiet:)

Just to update Nov 5, 2012 I went back to my home state of VA in Lee Co. they give free two hour concealed permit classes at the court house, the Instructor was a strong believer in the constitution as the gleam in his eyes showed when he quoted the 2nd Amendment so I took that FREE class that costs $100.00 in SC and learned that the permit route is just a money making addition to the right we already have according to SC sled.sc.gov law website 16-23-20 Unlawful Carry "EXCEPTIONS" the word "Exceptions" being a very large word here, paragraph (4) (9) and (15) allows more than some people know.

PistolPackingMomma

Had an insurance agent drop by our house today to give me an estimate, and as she and I were going over the paperwork, she glanced at my OC'd 1911 riding comfortably in my shoulder holster. Her demeanor did not change at all, and several times she commented on how cute my 16 month old son was, and asked questions about when I was due.

A non-event is a great event! :lol:

saiga12boy

Yup. And that is why the NRA, CWP instructors and state of SC will never support open carry; it threatens their revenue.
Maybe open carry in South Carolina will become legal if it's licensed open carry. You know something they can make money off of.

Last edited: