• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

qednick

Less than 24 hours to go folks 'till unicorn season. Who's gonna be the first to post their "legal" TX OC handgun experience??? :)

BTW Richard I sent you a PM.

J

justa2e2

San Antonio Wally Walk Complete....No Issues.

Started my Wally walk at 0015L (would have been at midnight but I was chomping on a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy's) and completed at 0115L in San Antonio. No issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

bushwacker

3 hours 58 minutes into 2016

Happy New Years Everybody . This now being 2016 we now have open carry in Texas ...yaaaahhhooooo...ok I would like to start this as the new thread of o-carrying experiences ...new year = new thread.Do I have the record? left down town ft worth shortly after turn of the year , went to waffle house and ate an entire double h-browns,two eggs ,toast ,glass of oj off the five dollar menu and hee hawed with some customers all while open carrying without incident.went to wallmart in Irving off of 183 gathered sausage, onion and when getting the banana's at 03:58 am ,little miss Walmart and the biggest male employee that was available came all the way from the midsection of the cash register isle to check my permit status, she was very nervous to where she kept dropping the few things she had in her hands, and her help just buzzed around on the other side of the fruits. I told her that she has no right to check permits of open carriers unless she was l.e.o. and then she needed an r.a.s... she said that she was told to do it and didn't really want to . I said well that may possible get you a charge of impersonating an officer, that is a felony ,also corperate wallmart policy allows what the state allows I have the number do you want it ,but if you deny me my legal right to carry you may also be in trouble with another new tx law ...I believe but not sure the first time is $1500 and the second one I think is $10,000 but not certain on this. i stated that i didn't see any 30.06 or 30.07 sign on the entrance she said there is one on the other side but it was behind some thing to where you can't really see it ,I said maybe there is one on the another side but not on the entrance I came in . ok then there may possible be another hit for improper signage , can I get you a cart so the you don't have to keep picking up the things that you keep dropping. now the cops are being called and I hear the guy say they couldn't send anyone unless I was being a problem because they don't really know what the law is also...little miss Walmart didn't have a name tag but kept telling me to just keep shopping anyway . a little open carry meet could help this store, so I think . like I mentioned earlier this started happened at 3:58 am any body else get accosted before me?well lets hear it.....update I have been back several times and no other contacts were made ....really it seems to me that texas has been handling o-carry very well

Last edited:

janus

Happy New Years Everybody . This now being 2016 we now have open carry in Texas ...yaaaahhhooooo...ok I would like to start this as the new thread of o-carrying experiences ...new year = new thread.Do I have the record? left down town ft worth shortly after turn of the year , went to waffle house and ate an entire double h-browns,two eggs ,toast ,glass of oj off the five dollar menu and hee hawed with some customers all while open carrying without incident.went to wallmart in Irving off of 183 gathered sausage, onion and when getting the banana's at 03:58 am ,little miss Walmart and the biggest male employee that was available came all the way from the midsection of the cash register isle to check my permit status, she was very nervous to where she kept dropping the few things she had in her hands, and her help just buzzed around on the other side of the fruits. I told her that she has no right to check permits of open carriers unless she was l.e.o. and then she needed an r.a.s... she said that she was told to do it and didn't really want to . I said well that may possible get you a charge of impersonating an officer, that is a felony ,also corperate wallmart policy allows what the state allows I have the number do you want it ,but if you deny me my legal right to carry you may also be in trouble with another new tx law ...I believe the first time is $1500 and the second one I think is $10,000 . i stated that i didn't see any 30.06 or 30.07 sign on the entrance she said there is one on the other side but it was behind some thing to where you can't really see it ,I said maybe there is one on the another side but not on the entrance I came in . ok then there may possible be another hit for improper signage , can I get you a cart so the you don't have to keep picking up the things that you keep dropping. now the cops are being called and I hear the guy say they couldn't send anyone unless I was being a problem because they don't really know what the law is also...little miss Walmart didn't have a name tag but kept telling me to just keep shopping anyway . a little open carry meet could help this store, so I think . like I mentioned earlier this started happened at 3:58 am any body else get accosted before me?well lets hear it

Walmart corporate policy is to follow state law. Whatever is legal is allowed, with one caveat. Local managers are allowed to request an open carrier to conceal if it makes the other customers uncomfortable.

In Georgia, it hasn't been an issue. Give it some time. The sheeple will get used to it and it will soon be a non-issue. Be polite, and show permit if requested at a private business.

Create a better impression of the carriers. Be nice, and soon enough the novelty will fade and you'll just be another boring customer.

Last edited:

Glockster

In The Woodlands, went to Valero on 1488 and then to Kroger. No problems and frankly don't think that anyone even noticed me at all. Just as it should be. Oh, and spent over $100 between the two that I didn't spend at HEB across the street from Valero.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Paragraphs (as opposed to a wall of text) make posts much more readable.

Happy TX OC 2016!
It's camouflage. Squint your eyes and something will appear. If nothing appears, squint and move your head in and out. In the course of time many obstacles will interfere with your perception, now stand on your head.....

Mhostetter

I stopped in to read the doom and gloom and it looks like your OC experiences match ours in OK. It's funny how the MSM try's to hype the sheep up and then when nothing happens it drops off the radar.

BikerGuy57

Well, the truth shall be known today. I'm going to IHOP around 1 PM, with my Taurus 9mm and two extra clips strapped to my side with no jacket to hide them. We'll see what happens... I'll post about it later...

Well, nothing, absolutely nothing happened! I wasn't surprised about that. A few people saw my gun, one asked about it and if it upset anyone, but other than that, everyone took it in stride as though it's always been this way...

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
It's camouflage. Squint your eyes and something will appear. If nothing appears, squint and move your head in and out. In the course of time many obstacles will interfere with your perception, now stand on your head.....
I'm dizzy now and have just fallen and can't get up! :uhoh:

J

justa2e2

Day 1.5-2 Open Carry Texas

Oh where to begin, I tried updating last night but the site was down. Let's see Friday morning got up bright and early and went to Gander Mountain and acquired at Sig 1911, on the way stopped and grabbed some lunch at Taco Bell and to my amusement it was uneventful. The whole time in Gander not one person said a word besides the guy doing my paperwork for the Sig purchase. Like the dumbass I am I forgot to grab a few rounds to sling down range so I stopped at Academy on the way home and procured some rounds. At the range nobody cared as they haven't cared before so why should they now. After the trip to the range went back to Wally World to grab some stuff to make dinner with, again uneventful.

Saturday morning I made it my business to find a holster for my new baby and made the trek to Bass Pro as I didn't find any at Academy or Gander the day before. As I am moseying through the store I hear one of the customers asking if they allow open carry I hear the guy behind the counter say "We do, but they want to see your CHL first" and I found myself asking myself "What the hell is this guy talking about? Bass Pro's in other states have never asked to see any ID when open carrying in the store." It might just be do to the newness of it here in Texas but I don't see that lasting if it is even the policy as nobody asked to see mine when I walked in. After that I stopped by one of the local gun shops off of Bandera to look at their holster selection and ended up getting a nice brown leather rig with a button strap retention as I am cautious against not having retention on my holster. One last stop was to Autozone to pick up some shop towels and lady behind the counter asked my what I was carrying and I told her and she said another guy came in and asked if it was allowed (just look for signs dumbass is what I was thinking but I don't really mind if people ask to make sure) and she said as far as she knew Autozone doesn't have a policy against it so carry on....and carry on I did.

So all in all I have made numerous trips to numerous stores and no issues at all. There were a few more stores I stopped at but they were mainly gas stations and those were also uneventful.

Update:
Went to Wendy's for supper as the wife is out of town and again no issues although I did hear a little girl "Look...that man has a gun."

Last edited by a moderator:

bushwacker

Walmart corporate policy is to follow state law. Whatever is legal is allowed, with one caveat. Local managers are allowed to request an open carrier to conceal if it makes the other customers uncomfortable.

In Georgia, it hasn't been an issue. Give it some time. The sheeple will get used to it and it will soon be a non-issue. Be polite, and show permit if requested at a private business.

Create a better impression of the carriers. Be nice, and soon enough the novelty will fade and you'll just be another boring customer.

didn't know about the manager thing, never been brought up before ...thanks for the heads up

garand_guy

Texans, welcome to the usually non-eventful (and usually :banghead: questions being asked) world of open carry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The old thread will be the one that survives. It's got the subject line of being an OC experience thread.

I couldn't read that opening wall of text. Well, I COULD, but I'm not going to. But I saw it had something to do with Wal-Mart, so I will help confirm that they have a corporate policy to allow it. If a manager needs to be trained, so be it.

Many of the national chains have "leave it alone" policies. They will hopefully be able to throttle back the surge of wet-panty-OMG knee-jerk reactions from the Texas-based stores like HEB and Whataburger. Hopefully, Texas shoppers will spend their money accordingly, but we already know most won't care to vote with their wallets, and will just perpetuate the ignorance.

Believe it or not, it's not just good manners and proper English to use correct spelling, spacing, punctuation and capital letters on proper nouns, but it also vastly speeds up reading the material. I had to stop and read this part very slowly: "left down town ft worth" in order to see that it meant: "I left downtown Ft Worth." That's the point when I decided it wasn't worth reading the whole thing.

Last edited:

qednick

Haven't been able to get on the site for two days. Thankfully it's back up :)

Besides walking the dog numerous times, we went to WalMart in Boerne on New Year's Day. Spent a good hour in there (and over $250) and nobody said a word, no stink eyes, no nothing. Like nobody even noticed or cared. They did have a 8.5x11 print out by the doors saying you can carry so long as you have a license and it's a handgun. :) I neglected to keep the receipt to send the H.E.B. two blocks up the road that we always used to shop at.

Also went to Lowes Market (grocery store) here in Bandera. Either nobody noticed or didn't care.

So far so good! :)

Mas49.56

Any blood running in the streets yet? Here in Florida OC is supposed to cause blood to run in the streets.

CrimsonSoul

Haven't been able to get on the site for two days. Thankfully it's back up :)

Besides walking the dog numerous times, we went to WalMart in Boerne on New Year's Day. Spent a good hour in there (and over $250) and nobody said a word, no stink eyes, no nothing. Like nobody even noticed or cared. They did have a 8.5x11 print out by the doors saying you can carry so long as you have a license and it's a handgun. :) I neglected to keep the receipt to send the H.E.B. two blocks up the road that we always used to shop at.

Also went to Lowes Market (grocery store) here in Bandera. Either nobody noticed or didn't care.

So far so good! :)

The Kroger down here has the same sign on the door.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In The Woodlands, went to Valero on 1488 and then to Kroger. No problems and frankly don't think that anyone even noticed me at all. Just as it should be. Oh, and spent over $100 between the two that I didn't spend at HEB across the street from Valero.

Mail your receipts to that HEB. The only thing that gets their attention is money.

jordanmills said:
I went to HEB. It wasn't posted, nobody noticed, nobody cared. The news lies.

Yes, they lie, but they often get the gist of things, in which case HEB corporate has gone on public record that they are against people carrying guns. And they will probably get away with it (and some stores ARE posted) because there are people who don't think that's a big deal, and will spend their hard-earned money there anyway.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...just look for signs dumbass is what I was thinking but I don't really mind if people ask to make sure)...

You'll soon start to mind. Many stores don't even think about it, UNTIL someone asks about it. And if they ask the wrong person (sometimes a person who has a little power with no knowledge or experience behind it), THEN the sign will go up in answer to the question.

made the trek to Bass Pro as I didn't find any at Academy or Gander the day before. As I am moseying through the store I hear one of the customers asking if they allow open carry I hear the guy behind the counter say "We do, but they want to see your CHL first" and I found myself asking myself "What the hell is this guy talking about? Bass Pro's in other states have never asked to see any ID when open carrying in the store." It might just be do to the newness of it here in Texas but I don't see that lasting if it is even the policy as nobody asked to see mine when I walked in.

The BPS in southern NV tried something similar. What is it with BPS? They were asking to see people's registration card when they brought handguns into the indoor range. What's funny is that we weren't required by law to carry or even keep the registration receipt card, something that only affected county residents anyway. They got a stern talking-to from upper management after a few phone calls were made, and quit doing it. (Aside: after generations of enduring our county's handgun registration, it was finally done away with last year.)

Last edited: