• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

qednick

Took a ride to SA today to take the wife to a Dr's Appt. Stopped in Helotes at the Hinee Coffee Store (BTW...GREAT coffee) to pick up a cup enroute. Didn't have my cover shirt on so was OC. The two young baristas were sitting at a table talking when I came in (no customers). Gave them my order and while filling my cup one of them asked me if I had received any flac for OC. Told her "no, and most of the time I don't think anybody even notices". Explained to her the difference between the 30.06 and 30.07 laws and even a quick once-over concerning the 51% rule.
Very nice young ladies.
Spoke to the owner a few months ago and he was VERY pro-gun and cordial.
Good coffee/good staff....what more can one ask for :cool:. If you are in the SA area, I think they have several in town.
Regards,
<MP>

Do you want one of my "guns welcome" signs to give the owner? :)

MP(Retired)

Do you want one of my "guns welcome" signs to give the owner? :)
If you have an extra one I can pick it up this Sat....if you're up for caffeine & nicotine :cool:
Not sure if he would want to post it on his front window but might be worth it to ask him the next time I go in and he's there.
Hope everything's going well w/you and family.
<MP> :monkey

qednick

If you have an extra one I can pick it up this Sat....if you're up for caffeine & nicotine :cool:
Not sure if he would want to post it on his front window but might be worth it to ask him the next time I go in and he's there.
Hope everything's going well w/you and family.
<MP> :monkey

Saturday sounds good brother! I have the stickers in my trunk :)

hovercat

Arlington area. Nobody has yet commented, and I OC every day. I have not seen another OC legally in the wild yet.

nonameisgood

It seems that many of my usual places have posted. It's really irritating since some opt for the "let's just keep all people carrying guns out (except the bad guys)" policy

Carter Blood Care started posting 06 & 07 so I told them I wasn't coming back. They said they could call when the blood mobile was around (since it isn't posted). I said yes. The next time they called it was for the DACA gun show. Free entrance to the show and I'm not supposed to carry loaded in the show anyway.

I've mostly stopped OC since my run in with the Garland range. My tolerance for BS is gone so my buddy suggested I Cc for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

It seems that many of my usual places have posted. It's really irritating since some opt for the "let's just keep all people carrying guns out (except the bad guys)" policy

Carter Blood Care started posting 06 & 07 so I told them I wasn't coming back. They said they could call when the blood mobile was around (since it isn't posted). I said yes. The next time they called it was for the DACA gun show. Free entrance to the show and I'm not supposed to carry loaded in the show anyway.

I've mostly stopped OC since my run in with the Garland range. My tolerance for BS is gone so my buddy suggested I Cc for a while.

could it be noname, your style of OC'g 'in your usual places' caused them to install the signage?

you told the blood bank no due to their signage, but wait...i'll make an exception...

and now you have ceased OC'g which begs the question why are you out here posting & telling the OC'g forum members you are quitter just over some signs...

your smile will be missed but how bout raising your low self esteem and instead try working towards showing the businesses that your business matters to their bottom line. maintaining your OC posture you are mitigating their perception via continuing your OC'g activities.

ipse

stealthyeliminator

I suspect that the amount of BS that can be expected will decrease steadily, and I suppose the decrease will go more rapidly the more OCing that occurs. Others in my area have OCed very many places with no issues. I'm trying to increase my OC activity but I don't go very many places anyway if I can avoid it. I would try to encourage you to continue your OC once your BS tolerance has been replenished a bit. :)

Also, old places being posted sounds like reasons to find new places :) Who knows, new places may be better than the old ones.

nonameisgood

Ironically, I'm OC today. Nothing untoward and a few folks obviously noticed. Home Depot tool rental didn't notice until we were loading equipment into the truck, saying, "I didn't know you had a gun, but we allow carry so it's all good."

The guy at Living Earth said, "so you're an officer."
"Nope."
"Detective?"
"Nope."
"Serial killer?"
"Yep, that's it, third guess is a charm."
"That's good, you have to have evil to balance the good."
Obviously he was joking, but it is strange how it goes from cop to bad guy, bypassing the other 99% of the population.

qednick

Our first TX unicorn today!!

MP (Retired) and I hooked up for coffee and stogies in Bandera this morning. We were in the usual spot: OST Diner when MP spotted a chap walk in OC'ing. When we were done and heading out we stopped by to shake his hand and thank him for carrying.

It was a good morning with a few good chats with passers by. One couple from CA said "Boy I wish we could do that in California"--which led to good ol' chat about how insane things are there.

Just now I got back from Burger King. I'd placed my order and waited a good five or ten minutes for my food. When they called my name I went to get the food and noticed a big 30.07 sign at the bottom of the main door. I sat down with my food and pulled my shirt over my weapon. I then went outside when done and saw that the sign is not even visible in the slightest from the outside. It's black text on a clear background but applied on the inside of the glass behind a dark tint. I'm not sure if the BK is part of the Shell gas station that it's attached to but I'm going to find out who the owner is and have words.

HPmatt

Carried today in beautiful spring Big D - walmart, home depot, john eagle honda, (not) post office, frost bank, chase bank, petco, coffee shop, pharmacy, tom thumb - no comments, no notice, no screaming kids, security guards calling 911...I am beginning to think the lack of response is due to everyone noticing my extremely handsome chiseled good looks....:cool:

Cliff

Since the 23rd.

I have open carried to and from work every day here in Dallas. Kroger's on Mockingbird. Tony's market on Gaston. Various 7-11's and Walmart's. Oh, and the drive through at Sonic. ;)

Firearms Iinstuctor

Another open carry success story

From Dallas

full story with picture at the link

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/04/tx-open-carry-exercise-in-dallas.html

Open carry of modern handguns has been legal for most carry permit holders in Texas for a few months now. I was able to open carry during my visit in January. During cold weather, opportunities were limited.

With a new grandchild to see, I looked forward to Texas exercise without having to conceal my personal defensive firearm. I open carried from Arizona to Dallas in Texas. Interactions on the road were minimal

HPmatt

In Van Horn I would always have a gun being close to unguarded portion of Mexican border - have had many incidents south of El Paso w Mexican military 'moonlighting'.

Marsh at Rosemeade - City of Dallas. Just south is Carrollton/Farmers Branch - FB cops are okay - had a big issue w illegals and slumlord apt owners - town tried to preserve their culture and had the lawsuit w Feds or control of renting - like NYC does - had to give in to Feds. Dallas county Constables are odd fellows - can't figure out what to do w very little county left o/s Dallas towns.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...uses-farmers-branch-immigration-ordinance.ece

Last edited:

Stryker

Winner, winner, winner!!! After a couple of close calls, today I spotted my first true-blue, totally legitimate, in the wild, unicorn!

Son and I noticed him seated in the local McDonald's, so I greeted him and killed 10 minutes chatting. Turned out to be a trucker from Oklahoma, but not a member of the board... yet.

Man... that really made my day! My Glock even got along with his 1911... the stars must have been aligned.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

So the last time Carter Blood Care asked me to donate, I said "not while you have the storefronts posted to prohibit handguns." Two weeks ago they called and said that the blood mobile would be at the DACA gun show, so I signed up.
On Saturday, I arrived via motorcycle at about my appointed time (8:58 am as everyone was lined up to get in the show).
No 30.06 or 7 signs on the bus.
Halfway through the prelims I removed my jacket and the person taking my info sees my gun and says "you may have to put that in your car."
I retold her my story and she checked with the supervisor who said that I couldn't have it in the bus.
I left. Was rather put out by the inconvenience.
Today, I got a call from them asking for a donation. I told them to never call me again, at least not until they would accommodate my simple, legal request to remove the signs.
FFS, they are begging for me to give to them something that they sell for a price approaching unreasonable*. Blood suckers.

*I completely understand the reason blood for transfusions is expensive.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So the last time Carter Blood Care asked me to donate, I said "not while you have the storefronts posted to prohibit handguns." Two weeks ago they called and said that the blood mobile would be at the DACA gun show, so I signed up.
On Saturday, I arrived via motorcycle at about my appointed time (8:58 am as everyone was lined up to get in the show).
No 30.06 or 7 signs on the bus.
Halfway through the prelims I removed my jacket and the person taking my info sees my gun and says "you may have to put that in your car."
I retold her my story and she checked with the supervisor who said that I couldn't have it in the bus.
I left. Was rather put out by the inconvenience.
Today, I got a call from them asking for a donation. I told them to never call me again, at least not until they would accommodate my simple, legal request to remove the signs.
FFS, they are begging for me to give to them something that they sell for a price approaching unreasonable*. Blood suckers.

*I completely understand the reason blood for transfusions is expensive.

They have to filter and refilter it to remove the virus and other bad things that antis leave behind in the donations - too often contaminated. :p

qednick

Winner, winner, winner!!! After a couple of close calls, today I spotted my first true-blue, totally legitimate, in the wild, unicorn!
Son and I noticed him seated in the local McDonald's, so I greeted him and killed 10 minutes chatting. Turned out to be a trucker from Oklahoma, but not a member of the board... yet.
Man... that really made my day! My Glock even got along with his 1911... the stars must have been aligned.

Sweet! Now a couple of unicorns between us in the space of a few days--must be the warmer weather!

Having to restructure my entire business. On Saturday went to hook with a client that owed me some $$$. He put me onto a colleague who runs a biz and needed some IT work doing. I went round to his office but left the 1911 in the car since I didn't know if this dude would be OK with me OC'ing into his office. Anyhoo, while we were discussing the potential work, he suddenly asked me what I carry (he surely saw the empty holster plus the spare mag on my hip) so I told him and stated that I hadn't carried into his office because I didn't know him and didn't want to cause a unknown potential client to have a hoplophobic stage five meltdown. He then told me he carried a Beretta (concealed on his ankle).
Well, the dude that owed me the $$$ showed up and we went outside. Re-holstered my 1911 and we chatted some more before going back in to the other dude's office. Kinda cool to find clients (and potential clients) totally OK with it. :)