• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

drsysadmin

As I am moseying through the store I hear one of the customers asking if they allow open carry I hear the guy behind the counter say "We do, but they want to see your CHL first" and I found myself asking myself "What the hell is this guy talking about? Bass Pro's in other states have never asked to see any ID when open carrying in the store." It might just be do to the newness of it here in Texas but I don't see that lasting if it is even the policy as nobody asked to see mine when I walked in.

I seriously doubt that they have the legal right to require you to produce paperwork. While I am NOT in Texas, I understand the law DOES allow LE to "stop and demand papers" without cause (cause being you actually carrying - which is stupid - but I digress). However, the law does not allow any private or commercial entity the authority to "stop and demand papers" unless I misread the whole thing. The first time they do that to a knowledgeable citizen its likely to turn into a major headache for them if they press that "policy".

On a totally different note - Welcome TEXAS - to the world of OC. Now ya just have to work on removing the government permission slip to do it!

stealthyeliminator

Haven't been able to get on the site for two days. Thankfully it's back up :)

Besides walking the dog numerous times, we went to WalMart in Boerne on New Year's Day. Spent a good hour in there (and over $250) and nobody said a word, no stink eyes, no nothing. Like nobody even noticed or cared. They did have a 8.5x11 print out by the doors saying you can carry so long as you have a license and it's a handgun. :) I neglected to keep the receipt to send the H.E.B. two blocks up the road that we always used to shop at.

Also went to Lowes Market (grocery store) here in Bandera. Either nobody noticed or didn't care.

So far so good! :)

The Kroger down here has the same sign on the door.

If they sell alcohol it is likely the sign that they are required by the TABC to put up. I heard (unverified) that the required sign changed on the first and so that might explain why it's just a print out taped to the doors for now.

CrimsonSoul

If they sell alcohol it is likely the sign that they are required by the TABC to put up. I heard (unverified) that the required sign changed on the first and so that might explain why it's just a print out taped to the doors for now.

It's not the blue sign saying unlicensed possession, but one that saying only those licensed under whatever government code it is can carry

HPmatt

It w/b a 30.06 for CC and now they have to add a 30.07 for OC. Not the small blue only licensed carry.

Only LE can ask for a CHL in Texas - not store employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonameisgood

It w/b a 30.06 for CC and now they have to add a 30.07 for OC. Not the small blue only licensed carry.

Only LE can ask for a CHL in Texas - not store employees.

A private property owner can certainly say "you are welcome to carry, but please be ready to show your CHL/LTC if asked." You don't have to do it, but they can ask you to leave.

HPmatt

Yes asking is okay, but compliance is at your discretion.

nonameisgood

Which brings up an issue. I carry my wallet in my right front pocket, right next to my holster. Guess I should fix that before I need to access the CHL, or a credit card. That's really gonna cause me some grief, retraining myself from years of right rear and right front pocket wallet carry.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Meant to post this earlier but I went out of town on New Years day and for some reason the mobile site wasn't working for me.

I did open carry on New Years, but unfortunately the holiday meant that many businesses that I needed to run errands to were closed. I did have an interesting encounter at about noon on Friday. I was walking back to my car from the UPS store after realizing they were closed and a car stopped by mine and the driver yelled, "Hey! Happy Open Carry day!....I feel safer already!" I gave him a wave and a "you too" and went on about the rest of my day. I'm sure we made each others day with that.

Went to Academy on south I-35 to get a hunting license (I know, pretty late in the season) and some ammo. I was in there for a while shopping around and not a word about me being armed. After stopping at an other business that was closed for the holiday, I got frustrated and decided to just go home and run errands another day.

J

justa2e2

You'll soon start to mind. Many stores don't even think about it, UNTIL someone asks about it. And if they ask the wrong person (sometimes a person who has a little power with no knowledge or experience behind it), THEN the sign will go up in answer to the question.

The BPS in southern NV tried something similar. What is it with BPS? They were asking to see people's registration card when they brought handguns into the indoor range. What's funny is that we weren't required by law to carry or even keep the registration receipt card, something that only affected county residents anyway. They got a stern talking-to from upper management after a few phone calls were made, and quit doing it. (Aside: after generations of enduring our county's handgun registration, it was finally done away with last year.)

You are probably right when it comes to asking first but as of right now I don't mind people being considerate and making sure first. After a while I'm sure I will start to mind though. Took a trip to Jersey Mikes for lunch and again uneventful. I hope this continues to be the norm.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes asking is okay, but compliance is at your discretion.

So is it "okay" if the employee in the parking lot makes sure you are a licensed driver? Is it "okay" if they ask you to prove the kids with you are yours?

Legal, yes, but is it really "okay?"

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You are probably right when it comes to asking first but as of right now I don't mind people being considerate and making sure first. After a while I'm sure I will start to mind though. Took a trip to Jersey Mikes for lunch and again uneventful. I hope this continues to be the norm.

Is it considered "considerate" to ask if wearing a green T-shirt is okay in their store before doing so? White shoes after Labor Day? Yes, I understand that seeing guns is new for Texas, but it's still supposed to be normal. Asking first is a preadmission that you agree it's not normal.

"But it's a weapon." Okay, what about the visible pocket knife clipped to your side? Do you ask first about that being allowed, or is it considered normal? Businesses have just as much right to ask someone to leave for any of those examples, from the T-shirt to the gun.

I'm not busting anyone's chops, and recognize that newness is newness, for both customers and businesses. But I'm just throwing out some thinking points about the effect of asking for permission for what should be normal.

If you DO ask, may I suggest a followup question if they say no? Ask them if they are responsible for theft of firearms left in a vehicle in a parking lot.

J

justa2e2

Is it considered "considerate" to ask if wearing a green T-shirt is okay in their store before doing so? White shoes after Labor Day? Yes, I understand that seeing guns is new for Texas, but it's still supposed to be normal. Asking first is a preadmission that you agree it's not normal.

"But it's a weapon." Okay, what about the visible pocket knife clipped to your side? Do you ask first about that being allowed, or is it considered normal? Businesses have just as much right to ask someone to leave for any of those examples, from the T-shirt to the gun.

I'm not busting anyone's chops, and recognize that newness is newness, for both customers and businesses. But I'm just throwing out some thinking points about the effect of asking for permission for what should be normal.

If you DO ask, may I suggest a followup question if they say no? Ask them if they are responsible for theft of firearms left in a vehicle in a parking lot.

I hear what you're saying and I for one do not ask before entering, if there isn't a sign I proceed as if it's allowed. If I'm told to leave without a sign I will definitely have some questions to the owner/manager of the business. As it becomes normal and people get more accustomed to carrying I think asking first will fall to the wayside.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Any blood running in the streets yet? Here in Florida OC is supposed to cause blood to run in the streets.

It's really not too bad yet. I got a nice pair of waterproof boots and the blood running in he streets doesn't even get my socks wet.

qednick

It's not the blue sign saying unlicensed possession, but one that saying only those licensed under whatever government code it is can carry

Yeah, that's the printed notice I saw. Said something like "It is unlawful to carry a weapon on these premises unless the weapon is a handgun and you are licensed under government code blah blah blah". In other words, they're cool with OC so long as it's a handgun and not an AK-47.

On another note, I just went to Lowes Market here in Bandera again. Nobody seemed to notice until I was in the checkout line. The chap in front of me did a huge double take. Then he turns around and asks me if we a need a special license to OC in TX. I told him you just a concealed carry license. He said "well I have my concealed carry license and I called DPS to ask them if I could OC but they couldn't give me a straight answer". I told him if he has the license he is good to go. Unfortunately I didn't have any of my trifolds to give him at the time.
He thanked me and left. Then the girl behind the counter asked "So you're carrying a gun? Is that what he was asking about?" (had my strong side away from her at that point). So I just said "yeah". She was about 17...wasn't bothered about it at all. :)

rightwinglibertarian

Haven't been able to get on the site for two days. Thankfully it's back up :)

Isnt just OCDO, the host is getting battered with DDoS attacks. Someone posted a link to http://www.texas3006.com/ which appears to be an anti-gun site but I get the same message. Keep trying people. It's slow for me even now but it's better than last night with was a total fail every time

CrimsonSoul

Went to another Jack in the Box today because my pregnant wife demanded it and I value my life. It was the first time I was fully OC without a jacket covering it from the back and side (but not the front). One other customer in the store he never even looked at me. the guy behind the corner did and then looked at me with a weird look on his face but besides that no problems at all (if you can call that a problem).

Jeff Cramer

I waited till 2 January, just didn't get out on Friday.
Got a couple of looks and one sort of funny double take at jack In The Box, some kid with a face tattoo actually stepped back two steps with a verbal "oh!"colliding with the pair of giggling hood rats he was treating to a JIB meal. I gave him a head nod and filled my coffee cup.
Lowes, busy there, most never noticed, one glance. Home Depot, also busy no one seemed to notice or care.
Today I walked the dog up and down my street, some traffic some looks, no reactions.