• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

qednick

It's been a bit quiet on here lately and I'm partly to blame since I've been totally restructuring the business I've barely had time to breathe lately.

A couple of weeks ago, MP (Retired) and I hooked up for some breakie at OST diner up here in Bandera. Tourist season is getting in full swing and once we were done we loitered outside on Main Street for a bit when these two British guys walked by. One stopped dead in his tracks and was like "whoooaaaa what's that like a Glock or something?". I said "no sir it's a 1911 .45 caliber". We then got into a good discussion with them about gun laws and everything else.

The other night, wifey and I went to Busbee's BBQ. This time I was carrying my 9mm Taurus. Yet again, another British couple were in there. Got into a good chat with them.

Gotta love the tourists!

I was pumping gas at the Murphy's outside WM in Boerne when some guy walks by and shouts "Love it! Love it!" really loud as he walks by me. I gave him a thumbs up.

I opened new business account at Frost Bank in Boerne. They partly got my biz because I'd heard they specifically allow OC. I OC'd all during the a/c opening and have been OC in there ever since--absolutely no issues.

Other than that, still been OC every day since Jan 1st. Nothing but compliments, thumbs up, good conversations, high fives, etc. Absolutely no negative encounters yet.

HPmatt

OC today - Royal Blue Market at Highland Park Village - afternoon latte was a good break to read some on Bechtel construction empire; Eatzi's on Lovers Lane - Friday night takeout pizza. No issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

OCed this evening with some other OCT guys at a chicken place. This particular chicken place had posted in local media that they would be welcoming to legal handgun open carry, prior to the law taking effect. We had a meeting discussing goals and direction for the group, and stayed about 2 hours. One person in our group who wasn't OCing was back a bit when all of us that were carrying left the dining area, and they noticed that when we left a significant portion of the room took notice of our OC and seemed to begin discussing it at their tables. For most of them, this may have been the first time they've seen someone OC. Of course we are working toward normalization, where it won't be something that everyone in the room takes notice of (and I would really rather not be noticed!), but the positive side of this is that this room full of people has now seen someone OC, and for that room of people, it's that much more normalized.

So as encouragement to fellows here, remember that every time you OC you are making a difference, remember the progress unseen. There may not be a recognizable or measurable effect every time, but that doesn't mean that you didn't have a positive influence.

qednick

OCed this evening with some other OCT guys at a chicken place. This particular chicken place had posted in local media that they would be welcoming to legal handgun open carry, prior to the law taking effect. We had a meeting discussing goals and direction for the group, and stayed about 2 hours. One person in our group who wasn't OCing was back a bit when all of us that were carrying left the dining area, and they noticed that when we left a significant portion of the room took notice of our OC and seemed to begin discussing it at their tables. For most of them, this may have been the first time they've seen someone OC. Of course we are working toward normalization, where it won't be something that everyone in the room takes notice of (and I would really rather not be noticed!), but the positive side of this is that this room full of people has now seen someone OC, and for that room of people, it's that much more normalized.

So as encouragement to fellows here, remember that every time you OC you are making a difference, remember the progress unseen. There may not be a recognizable or measurable effect every time, but that doesn't mean that you didn't have a positive influence.

Cool stuff! Now I make sure I go out OC all the time--otherwise people that see me regularly may start wondering why I'm not carrying :)

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Haven't posted in a while and truth be told it had been a little too long since I open carried so I took care of some errands OC today.

First stop Academy Sports & Outdoors:
Plenty of double takes and eyes burning holes in my gun, but I went about my business. I had to ask a sales associate for assistance with pricing on a bulk box of ammo for the ranch this weekend and I almost had to give him the, "hello my eyes are up here" line. All jokes aside, after talking to him for a second, he seemed to relax a bit and helped me get what I needed.

I was hungry so I headed to one of my favorite sub shops, Thundercloud:
I don't think anyone noticed except for perhaps the customer that came in behind me. Nobody said anything.

Randall's:
Walking through the parking lot, I noticed a constable was idling in his vehicle. I'm sure he noticed me, but I didn't really look at him for more than a glance. Would've liked to get a coffee, but there was about 10 teenagers standing around the counter waiting to order and I really didn't want to deal with that. Did my shopping and left without anyone seeming to notice or care.

Not to derail the thread too much, but is an OC meetup planned for the near future? I'm interested.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Build it and they will come.

You opened the door, kind sir. :D

iWKad22.jpg

qednick

Not to derail the thread too much, but is an OC meetup planned for the near future? I'm interested.

Well you're not too far from me and MP (Retired). We hook up fairly regularly here for our own OC breakfasts. Fredericksburg would be a nice (inbetween) place maybe? If we can make the planets align! PM me with your cell # and we can maybe set something up for the near future. If we can, we can post an event in the specific area here.

stealthyeliminator

Met again with some friends at a local BBQ place, all OC. We were just another group of customers, and were treated exactly the same as everyone else. We ate, talked, and had a good time.

HPmatt

Yesterday being a nice day in the 80s (Cyndi Lauper like..) I OC'd at John Eagle Honda, Bank America - greeter boys noticed w big eyes, Frost Bank, JDs cookies, Drip coffee, Eatzi's ... no screaming or pointing by anyone.

Stryker

A bit of a strange encounter yesterday at CMC Recycling in Ft. Worth. I have not seen any 30.06 or 30.07 signs and did see a sign that used to say "Drug, Alcohol, and Weapons Free Zone" but the word Weapons and the image of a pistol had been removed.

While I was unloading my stuff from the truck, two employees from the office approached and informed me that I couldn't carry and that the place was posted .06 and .07. A polite conversation in which I agreed to abide by their employer's wishes, but I explained that I had not seen any signage.

They indicated that the office had a sign. I explained how that would indicate that the office was no carry, but that the entire recycling facility (100+ acres) would not be interpreted as such. They then clarified that there was another sign at the gate.

I wrapped up my business in the yard, secured my sidearm and went to the office to conclude my business. Shocker... no sign. Hmmm.

I asked to speak with the manager and asked him to help me find the signs (I'm not getting any younger). He said that they haven't put up the signs yet. I only shared that I really didn't appreciate being lied to because my initial reaction was to assume I was in the wrong and had committed a minor misdemeanor.

I understand that verbal communication is effective notice and I actually prefer this option over our legally binding signage. Funny that both men claimed to be CHL (sic) holders, yet they said non-existent signs had been posted.

Sorry for the long story with no real positive spin. Everyone was polite and no LEO involved, though it would have been hilarious if they had brought in police to enforce the signs that didn't exist. Oh well. Time to find another recycler.

Stryker

Thanks Solus. I have been wrestling with this, but I think I'm going to let it go. My rationale is that statute does allow for verbal communication, so lying is my only valid complaint. While that is a just complaint, the result could be that corporate would merely correct the issue by properly posting.

So here is the dilemma. Complain and get it posted or let it go and the pro-2A, but lazy minions may not bother to post it at all. If there is an upside to writing a formal rebuke to corporate, I'm all ears.

solus

push the lying concept after taking the company's history and shoving their stated goals back

quote:

1. Place the customer at the core of all we do. We believe that if we focus on meeting the needs of our customers, we will succeed. We work hard at understanding our customers’ needs and providing creative solutions that add value to their businesses.

2. Act with integrity by honoring our commitments, being accountable for our actions and acting with respect for others.

3. Our success has been built by committing ourselves to the highest ethical, legal, environmental, safety and customer service standards. This will remain our commitment to all our business partners in each and every transaction and interaction we undertake.

my humble opinion, lying fails to meet their stated ethical standards...

there are a lot of things i can tolerate...being lied to isn't one of them...tell me i can't and i will leave, immediately.

ipse

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...If there is an upside to writing a formal rebuke to corporate, I'm all ears.

Don't forget that they are in business because you are supplying them their wares. Be sure to include the poundage of material you sold to their competitor because of their policy, combined with the fact that you were lied to regarding the notification of said policy.

HPmatt

Cmc is a public company so would expect them t/b PC on guns. Joe Alvarado and Rhys Best are steel company execs and the other Board members are pipeline/oil company types so I would expect a 'no' on OC.

HPmatt

Carried this morning at Home Depot Garden Center - cart jockey lady in parking lot asked if OC was allowed in TX now - told her yes thanks to TX Legislature 'finding the 2A' we can now OC. She was from Israel, parents from Germany...she was glad.

stealthyeliminator

Carried this morning at Home Depot Garden Center - cart jockey lady in parking lot asked if OC was allowed in TX now - told her yes thanks to TX Legislature 'finding the 2A' we can now OC. She was from Israel, parents from Germany...she was glad.

Sounds like a pretty interesting encounter with that one.

OCed at a (different) chicken place with friends. No issues. I think I noticed an older gentleman do a double take when he noticed the pistol holstered on by buddy's wife's hip, and I'm pretty sure he had a big smile on his face when he went back to what he was doing. Not sure if smile was due to gun, or her, or combination.

qednick

Haven't been on much due to all the flooding here in Bandera. Had to evacuate several times. Just now getting back to normal.

Had a bunch of bikers stay at the RV park a couple of nights. All were OC (apparently). I didn't see them...only heard about it after the fact. Pity coz I would've gone over to say hello had I known or spotted them.

Ian I finally responded your PM. Let's get something set up for San Antonio meet up and post it here in the events. :)

nonameisgood

Shep's BBQ in Palestine for lunch today. Uneventful visit, but the ribs were far better than the brisket. The Hercules sandwich looked really good - brisket, sausage, onion and peppers chopped together and BBQ sauce mixed in - should have had that.