• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preserve Open Carry through State Sovereignty

Will you send this demand to your state legislator(s), to secure or retain your states' right to leg

• Yes! I will send it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Statesman

imported post

Act now to preserve the right for your state to legislate Open Carry. Forward the pledge below to your state representative(s), and respectfully demand that they print, sign, and mail in their pledge. Otherwise, their position in your state legislature will eventually be irrelevant, and they will lose their job.

Pledge #6 below addresses the interstate commerce problem plaguing constitutional federalism in this country, but all the others will go a long way in securing a states right to legislate its own firearms laws regarding mode of carry (OC or CC), among many other aspects of ownership and legislation. If we do not act on this, soon congress will be attempting to legislate it through the denial of funds to a state, through the denial of some federal benefit, or the administration could sign an anti-gun U.N. treaty, and we may end up with a Supreme Court that says it's constitutional.

This is important. Remember this: when a consensus of states get together this way, and make demands of sovereignty, congress must listen. Again, it's the consensus that matters here.

Read and email this letter to your state representative. It is from Tennessee state Rep. Susan Lynn (TN-57th), sent to every state legislature in the country, asking other state legislatures to join the committee established in Tennessee to:

Quote:
  • "Call for a joint working group between the states to enumerate the abuses of authority by the federal government, and
  • Seek repeal of the assumption of powers and the imposed mandates."
Ask your state representative to print, sign, and mail-in the following today! This is important if you wish to retain your right or state dispensed privilege to Open Carry a firearm.

You can look up your state representatives here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/?lvl=L

#####################

Dear honorable [insert rep name],

I respectfully demand that you read, print, sign & email this as an attachment to pledge [at] tenthamendmentcenter . com, and notify me that you have done so. This is required in order for you to retain or secure my vote.

I will be closely watching your actions and especially your votes, to ensure your efforts in public office adhere to the State Pledge below. If you sign, but do not adhere to this pledge, I will not vote for you, and I will campaign against you.

[add your comments here]

[your contact info]

Please read this now: http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/10/20/they-cant-push-us-around-forever/

The State Pledge

Source: http://pledge.tenthamendmentcenter.com/the-state-pledge/

As a public office holder, or a candidate for public office, I affirm that:

1. All just political authority is derived from the People, and government may only be established and maintained with their consent.

2. The People of each State have the sole and exclusive right and power to govern themselves in all areas not delegated to their government.

3. A government without limits is a tyranny.

4. The Tenth Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that which has been delegated by the people to the federal government in the Constitution, and also that which is necessary and proper to advancing those powers specifically enumerated in the Constitution of the United States. The rest is to be handled by the state governments, or by the people themselves, as they determine.

5. In order for a federally-exercised power to be “necessary and proper” it must be a) something that, without which, would make the enumerated power impossible to exercise, and b) a lesser power than that which has been enumerated

6. The “Interstate Commerce Clause” in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution, does not permit Congress to regulate matters that merely affect commerce among the States. It only permits Congress to regulate trade among the States.

7. The phrase, “general Welfare,” in Article I, Section 8 does not authorize Congress to enact any laws it claims are in the “general Welfare” of the United States. The phrase sets forth the requirement that all laws passed by Congress in Pursuance of the enumerated powers of the Constitution shall also be in the general Welfare of the United States. This was affirmed by James Madison when he wrote: “With respect to the words “general welfare,” I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators.”

8. The federal government is not authorized to tax the People to raise monies for unconstitutional purposes. Likewise, the federal government is not authorized to condition funding to State or local governments on compliance with mandates which require them to do what the federal government is not authorized to do directly.

9. When Congress enacts laws and regulations that are not made in Pursuance of the powers enumerated in the Constitution, the People are not bound to obey them.

10. When the federal government exceeds its Constitutional authority, a nullification of the act is the rightful remedy. Without that remedy, the People would be living in a tyranny, under the unlawful and excessive control of one or more branches of the federal government.

As a public office holder, or a candidate for public office, I promise that, as long as I hold office:

1. My votes will always be in favor of the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this State. Every issue. Every time. No exceptions. No excuses.

2. I do, and will continue to, oppose any and all efforts by the federal government to act beyond its Constitutional authority.

3. I will proactively introduce and support measures designed to adhere to the Tenth Amendment and preserve, to their fullest extent, the powers of the People in my district, and of the legislators and administrations of my State.

4. I will introduce, sponsor and support resolutions affirming the sovereignty of the People of this State under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

5. I will introduce, sponsor, and support legislation that nullifies, within my state, actions of the federal government which exceed its Constitutional authority.

6. I will introduce, sponsor and support legislation that provides such relief as is necessary and proper to provide fair redress to the citizens of my State in response to actions by the federal government which exceeds its Constitutional authority.

7. I will introduce, sponsor and support legislation which refuses federal funding made on condition that my State comply with federal mandates not authorized by the Constitution.

8. I will only vote in favor of a bill that I have thoroughly read, considered and understood.

9. I will be accountable to voters. Upon request, I will make public every vote I cast while in office.

10. I will keep this pledge public, and will provide a link on my website which directs constituents to the text of this pledge.

Office-holders and office-seekers, please download, sign, and email to us as an attachment to pledge [at] tenthamendmentcenter . com

The State Pledge – click here to download (.pdf)

direct link: http://pledge.tenthamendmentcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/10th-amendment-pledge-state.pdf