• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Puerto Rico Shall Issue?

Gary Slider

I am hearing from a guy in PR who sent me a bill that passed making PR Shall Issue. The bill was dated 2012 but the gentleman said it was passed and signed and become law. You can get to the bill by going Here:
http://www.oslpr.org/legislatura/tl2009/tl_busca_avanzada.asp?rcs=P S2466
It is in Spanish and I don't read/speak it. I have put it through an online Translator but the translation was not the best in the world but it looks like he could be correct. It also states that they will try to get reciprocity with all 50 states in the translation. Can anyone confirm this for me? I can't find a link to the bill in English. Lexisnexis who has the Statutes for PR in English doesn't say anything about it and what they have hasn't changed and it has been over 2 years since the so called bill was signed and you would think they would have updated it. I am now thinking it all might be in the Administrative Rules if there has been a change. I can't find those at all for PR and everything I have done to try and find them is in Spanish. Any help you could give Handgunlaw.us in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Just wanting to report the facts. Thank you and

davidmcbeth

Banned
Look, if you are going to live in this country you should learn how to speak/read/write its # 1 language - Spanish.

But I do not concern myself with PR myself, others may chime in.

JustaShooter

The history of the bill on the page you linked to ends with its passage by the senate, and I can find no trace of it in the English translations of Puerto Rican law online, nor in the Spanish versions using my admittedly limited Spanish ability. Perhaps someone can speak to it more authoritatively but as far as I can determine it did not in fact become law.

Gary Slider

JustaShooter, Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated. That is what I am thinking also. But have this guy in PR telling me it became law. So Just trying to find out one way or the other. I watch a lot of reports on firearm laws. When Guam went Shall Issue this year there were numerous reports about it happening. I have seen nothing on PR going Shall Issue. Nexis not showing it in their online English Version of the PR code makes me wonder also. Nothing has changed in their Statutes on Nexis concerning their firearm laws. Hoping this post would catch the eye of someone in PR who knows the gun laws.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just an observation -

I fully expect if PR had gone to "shall issue", that Mike Stollenwork (an Examiner and one of this site's owners) would have made a HUGE point of telling everyone. Other gun rights orgs would have done likewise.

pkbites

Look, if you are going to live in this country you should learn how to speak/read/write its # 1 language - Spanish.

Always with the snark, huh?

Puerto Rico is an American territory and our #1 language is English. I've been there a couple of times (my sons in-laws live there) and even outside of the touristy areas the majority of people speak fluent English. And most things are in both English and Spanish. A person could easily live in PR and never have any need to learn to speak or read Spanish. And they would get by just fine.

Gary Slider

JustaShooter, You had it correct. I passed your info onto the guy in PR about you stating the bill never got further than the Senate. He was telling me that the bill had passed. Well it did pass the Senate but died. Happens to a lot of bills. So there has been no change in PR law on firearms. This guy was so sure things had changed I had to follow up on it. Not the first ghost I have chased over the years trying to find info. Thanks to everyone with your replies.