• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing in VT

wicat3

Hey everyone. I have a strange question. I recently moved to Upstate NY and will be working in VT. I was wondering if I was to go to VT and find a firearm and purchase it would it be an issue when I come back to NY? Mind you I am just speaking hypothetical at this point and trying to learn the laws. I also would not be purchasing anything that would not be legal in NY.

JustaShooter

The only way to legally buy a handgun in a state other than your state of residence is to have it shipped to an FFL in your home state. Long guns are different - as I understand it, a NY state resident can buy a long gun in VT and bring it back to NY as long as the gun would be legal to possess in NY.