• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Q. Law specificity - 'may not carry a pistol in _____ caliber."

Fallschirjmäger

On another forum, someone is asking if LA prohibits the carrying of pistols chambered in 'rifle' calibers. Specifically they said that they heard (friend of a friend's friend) that carrying a FN FiveSeven pistol was prohibited because the 5.7x28 round was a 'rifle caliber'.

This would come as shocking news to me, so I thought I'd better ask the state experts.

sraacke

Aaahhhh, the friend of a friend legal advise. That's almost as good as the some guy on a gun forum on the internet legal advise.
My thought is, La doesn't have a law against carrying rifles or other long arms. Why would they have a law against carrying a pistol in a "rifle caliber", whatever that is? Is a 9mm a "rifle caliber"? Because I know people with 9mm pistols and 9mm rifles. I know people who own .357/38 Special rifles and revolvers. I know some who have .22 caliber rifles and .22 cal pistols.
My policy is, if anyone is going to tell me that there is a law against me doing something that person is obligated to cite that law to back up his claim.

georg jetson

On another forum, someone is asking if LA prohibits the carrying of pistols chambered in 'rifle' calibers. Specifically they said that they heard (friend of a friend's friend) that carrying a FN FiveSeven pistol was prohibited because the 5.7x28 round was a 'rifle caliber'.

This would come as shocking news to me, so I thought I'd better ask the state experts.

It would come as a shock to me too. It's likely that this is a rumor in the making.

The Truth

If I were a cop I would not carry a 5-7. I'd probably carry 10mm, maybe .40 S&W if I were around a lot of people all day.

HeroHog

I'm callin' BS until someone gives me a cite of the law that prohibits it myself!

My 9mm pistol caliber rifle:
2013070805.jpg

I also had one of these:
destroyer.gif

AND this one as well!:
995TS.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm callin' BS until someone gives me a cite of the law that prohibits it myself!

My 9mm pistol caliber rifle:
2013070805.jpg

I also had one of these:
destroyer.gif

AND this one as well!:
995TS.jpg

Weren't those the ones you had before that tragic boating accident on one dark and stormy night. :lol: