• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about carrying on a cruise

Aaron1124

My wife and I have been looking in to taking a cruise to Alaska. I browsed over the F.A.Q.'s, and forgive me if I overlooked it, but what laws do I need to know about? Am I able to carry on board? I know Alaska is a gold star state, but I am concerned about the cruise itself, and the jurisdiction of the ocean.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks

tombrewster421

My wife and I have been looking in to taking a cruise to Alaska. I browsed over the F.A.Q.'s, and forgive me if I overlooked it, but what laws do I need to know about? Am I able to carry on board? I know Alaska is a gold star state, but I am concerned about the cruise itself, and the jurisdiction of the ocean.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks

You will have to relieve your firearm to the care of the Captain and he will return it at the end of the cruise. Most likely anyway, it's really the decision of the Captain as they make the laws on their ships. It's a dictator"ship".

Just declare it when boarding and the Captain should take charge of it. I have a friend that carries all the time and forgot to leave his at home when he went on a Carribean cruise. He had to check it for the flight to Florida first. Just be open about it and I'm sure the Captain will work with you.

Last edited:

maclean

You will be screened with a magnetometer and weapons are prohibited on board.

All the cruise companies have the same policy.

+1

The folks doing the screening are scary looking foreign nationals, to boot.

Inspires confidence.... not.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Do you know if this is rule (policy), or an actual law set in place?

It's like I said in international waters the Captain is literally the supreme ruler and what he says goes. The cruise company and any country or other municipality have no jurisdiction on the Captains ship.

j2l3

They are company rules I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ALL of the cruises to Alaska make calls in Canada at some point during the cruise.

I'm pretty sure they do, as you won't be boarding without a passport or enhanced drivers license.

oneeyeross

Well, it really doesn't matter, does it? If it is company policy, they won't let you carry it. If'n it is the law, they won't let you carry.

OH, yes, the inside passage thing. Forgot about that. No handguns. If you take your own boat up the inside passage, you WILL abide by Canadian law with regard to firearms (semi auto and all that).

It is Canadian water....

Last edited:

Aaron1124

It's like I said in international waters the Captain is literally the supreme ruler and what he says goes. The cruise company and any country or other municipality have no jurisdiction on the Captains ship.

Thanks for the info. I wonder how I would go about getting in touch with the captain regarding this, if the cruise line has nothing to do with it. I wonder if my O.C. spray and taser would be allowed, if not otherwise specifically banned. (Even though someone mentioned that "weapons" are not allowed)

Aaron1124

Well, it really doesn't matter, does it? If it is company policy, they won't let you carry it. If'n it is the law, they won't let you carry.

Well in one case, I can be charged criminally. In the other case, I would just be kicked off the cruise if it was discovered that I was carrying my weapon.

Aaron1124

They are company rules I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ALL of the cruises to Alaska make calls in Canada at some point during the cruise.

I'm pretty sure they do, as you won't be boarding without a passport or enhanced drivers license.

I am pretty sure most cruises to Alaska do indeed make stops in Canada.

Aaron1124

OH, yes, the inside passage thing. Forgot about that. No handguns. If you take your own boat up the inside passage, you WILL abide by Canadian law with regard to firearms (semi auto and all that).

It is Canadian water....

So basically, the only way around this is to avoid Canadian waters, and have the Captain's permission? In other words - use my own boat. That will be one exciting cruise..

tombrewster421

Thanks for the info. I wonder how I would go about getting in touch with the captain regarding this, if the cruise line has nothing to do with it. I wonder if my O.C. spray and taser would be allowed, if not otherwise specifically banned. (Even though someone mentioned that "weapons" are not allowed)

My friend just had to ask for the captain when he was about to board. I'm not sure if you noticed the edit I made to my first post. I added the information about his experience. I believe they even provided him with a lockbox like they're supposed to do at the courts here in WA. He will not allow you to "carry on board" but you will be able to have it on the trip to the dock and he will look after it while you're on board.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

My friend just had to ask for the captain when he was about to board. I'm not sure if you noticed the edit I made to my first post. I added the information about his experience. I believe they even provided him with a lockbox like they're supposed to do at the courts here in WA. He will not allow you to "carry on board" but you will be able to have it on the trip to the dock and he will look after it while you're on board.

I wonder if it can still be checked, legally, seeing how we'll be in Canadian territory. Not sure what their laws are on semi auto pistols.

tombrewster421

I wonder if it can still be checked, legally, seeing how we'll be in Canadian territory. Not sure what their laws are on semi auto pistols.

I don't think it matters if it is in the care of the Captain. As I said, my friend was in the Carribean and visited many countries.

maclean

I don't think it matters if it is in the care of the Captain. As I said, my friend was in the Carribean and visited many countries.

It is also possible your friend isn't telling you the truth.

I've been on several cruises, and each time been told they make no exceptions. Not for LEO's, not for .mil, not for anyone.

The restriction has nothing to do with the power of a Captain on a ship under weigh, which is near absolute.

The restriction is found under the "contract with common carrier." You can find them on each cruise line web site.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

I've been on several cruises, and each time been told they make no exceptions. Not for LEO's, not for .mil, not for anyone.

The restriction has nothing to do with the power of a Captain on a ship under weigh, which is near absolute.

The restriction is found under the "contract with common carrier." You can find them on each cruise line web site.

I'm sure there has to be an exception for someone. The reason I say that, is because who is going to physically enforce these laws/policies if an individual DOES come on board with a firearm and has bad intentions with it? Surely they must make an exception for whichever agency is responsible for the security of the ship, whether it be a law enforcement agency, coast guard, or private security.

maclean

I'm sure there has to be an exception for someone. The reason I say that, is because who is going to physically enforce these laws/policies if an individual DOES come on board with a firearm and has bad intentions with it? Surely they must make an exception for whichever agency is responsible for the security of the ship, whether it be a law enforcement agency, coast guard, or private security.

They have (as I alluded to) some really scary looking foreign nationals on the RC ships. They struck me as military, not English world military.

They were not visibly armed.

The USCG, etc, would not be bound by the contract with the carrier that a ticket holder would be.

tombrewster421

Yes, I know for a fact that my friend(who is actually an older gentleman who is more of a mentor to me) was telling the truth. My parents were on the cruise with him and witnessed the event. I can't claim to know what the captain would decide but it appears to me that most are reasonable men and would consent to looking after ones firearm if they were approached with respect to their authority.

maclean

Yes, I know for a fact that my friend(who is actually an older gentleman who is more of a mentor to me) was telling the truth. My parents were on the cruise with him and witnessed the event. I can't claim to know what the captain would decide but it appears to me that most are reasonable men and would consent to looking after ones firearm if they were approached with respect to their authority.

I suppose one could always give it a shot. I did.

Don't carry anything you aren't willing to leave with a local to avoid missing your cruise, or such would be my advice.