• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about open carry

Bearden86

imported post

I am confused about a couple of things.I have a Concealed Deadly Weapon License for Kentucky. Recently I went to Chick-fil-a to grab a bite to eat in Clarksville TN. As iwas leavinga older police officer walked in and noticed my handgun. I was OpenCarrying which i know is legal in TN. The Police Officer followed me out to my truck and asked me if i had a license to carry my handgun. I said yes and he asked me if he could see it and i complied. The officer proceeded to tell me that since i had a license in KY which is CC only i could not openly carry in TN or any other state for that matter. My question is can i openly carry in a state that has a open carry law even though my license is through KY. I also go to IN a lot which as far as i know has a open carry law does anyone have any input. Thanks a lot

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Bearden86 wrote:
I am confused about a couple of things.I have a Concealed Deadly Weapon License for Kentucky. Recently I went to Chick-fil-a to grab a bite to eat in Clarksville TN. As iwas leavinga older police officer walked in and noticed my handgun. I was OpenCarrying which i know is legal in TN. The Police Officer followed me out to my truck and asked me if i had a license to carry my handgun. I said yes and he asked me if he could see it and i complied. The officer proceeded to tell me that since i had a license in KY which is CC only i could not openly carry in TN or any other state for that matter. My question is can i openly carry in a state that has a open carry law even though my license is through KY. I also go to IN a lot which as far as i know has a open carry law does anyone have any input. Thanks a lot
That would be like saying your right to free speech is only valid in your home state... Or you right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.

Your Second Amendment rights do no evaporate when you cross state lines. In addition, when you cross state lines, you then enjoy the rights of that states' Constitution. Sounds like an uninformed LEO.

Bearden86

imported post

ok thanks a lotdo you have any idea where i can find something that says that in the law or anything like that appericate it.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Bearden86 wrote:
ok thanks a lotdo you have any idea where i can find something that says that in the law or anything like that appericate it.

You'll have to find it in the state law... It would basically say that anything not specifically listed in the criminal code is lawful behavior. It's much like open carry itself... if there's no law prohibiting the behavior, it's de facto lawful. State laws do not apply differently to different people -- the 14th Amendment also guarantees equal protection of the law.

les_aker

imported post

Bearden86 wrote:
The officer proceeded to tell me that since i had a license in KY which is CC only i could not openly carry in TN or any other state for that matter. My question is can i openly carry in a state that has a open carry law even though my license is through KY. I also go to IN a lot which as far as i know has a open carry law does anyone have any input. Thanks a lot

Don't be confused. The officer is just plain wrong. ANYONE can open carry in KY. Only someone with a permit can conceal. KY is a gold star open carry state.

I open carry there all the time when I'm visiting my parents.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bearden86 wrote:
Make a complaint to that Department about this officer making up laws.

Carolina40

imported post

Laws exist on the "books" to state what you can NOT do.

Best bet is to email your local Sheriff, Police Chief and verify that OC is in fact legal (meaning that there are no laws stating that you can not OC) in your state and carry his response with your CC permit...

this is what I do -- I haven't had the need to use it yet, but...

good luck