• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about R.S. 40:1379.3 (N)

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Hi there ya'll from the Lone Star State. I'm going to most likely be coming down to Baton Rouge until July for work and I'm trying to go through all of the local and state firearm laws when a question popped up. Every website I see, handgunlaw.us, lsp.org, etc has the same quoted text and I notice it specifically references concealed. How does this apply to open carry then?

Also I noticed you guys don't have a dedicated open carry experiences thread in here, any reason for that?

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
• A law enforcement office, station, or building;
• A detention facility, prison, or jail;
• A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
• A polling place;
• A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
• The state capitol building;
• Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
• Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
• A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
• Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
• Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

HeroHog

Speedy here, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Secretary/Treasurer and former VP. There are scattered posts of people's experience here and also on the LOCAL Forums. With Open Carry being legal here, there just isn't a whole lot to post about as most of us have very little issues when we Openly Carry our pistols.

As far as R.S. 40:1379.3 goes, it is probably technically correct that it doesn't affect Open Carried guns as it specifies Concealed guns, it would take a dang GOOD lawyer to fight it and get you off and it would cost you a ton of money. It IS worth looking into but, I can assure you that the police will see it differently.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Speedy here, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Secretary/Treasurer and former VP. There are scattered posts of people's experience here and also on the LOCAL Forums. With Open Carry being legal here, there just isn't a whole lot to post about as most of us have very little issues when we Openly Carry our pistols.
I can certainly appreciate that and that's the way it should be. However, a lot of state sections have an experiences thread that do just that: Shows newcomers to open carry that most interactions are non-events and it can help give someone confidence that is apprehensive about it. Might be something to look into.

As far as R.S. 40:1379.3 goes, it is probably technically correct that it doesn't affect Open Carried guns as it specifies Concealed guns, it would take a dang GOOD lawyer to fight it and get you off and it would cost you a ton of money. It IS worth looking into but, I can assure you that the police will see it differently.

I agree. I have no interest being a test case especially since I will only be in LA temporarily.