• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about travel through SC and GA with a HG

trinculo

I live in NC and do NOT have a CWP. I would like to bring my gun from GA through SC to my home in NC.

I know in NC it must be openly displayed in my truck as there is no trunk. What are the legalities of driving through SC on my way home?

Can I transport and if so where/how.

thanks,

Fallschirjmäger

In Georgia, as long as you are not otherwise prohibited you can carry either openly or concealed within your own automobile. I'd probably recommend 'transport' rather than 'carry' just to be safe. 'Transport' is defined as unloaded (magazine can be loaded and present) and encased; in metal, plastic, or fabric as long as there is sufficient coverage that you can't just stick a hand in and grab.

John Canuck

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or