• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for NRA Voting Members

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Any insights into which of the NRA Board candidates are anti-open carry? The only one I know of off the top of my head is Carrie Lightfoot.

I'm seriously considering following Jeff Knox' bullet voting recommendations, but if I choose to vote for more, I don't want to vote for one who wants to decide for me how I'll carry.

Please, I'm only interested in comments on this topic.

solus

I have not received my ballot...

here are charts (3) showing BoDs attendance to NRA meetings i found on PAFOA (http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=327610)

Nugent and Selleck are worthless IMHO...didn't attend BoD meetings at all.

and am just beginning my search of the nominees strength(s) and...

here is a semi-biased perspective from ammoland: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/nra-2018-board-election-commentary-marion-hammer/#axzz55gd1KQEx

for those not familiar with NRA's BoD process, here is a semi unbiased overview: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/nra-election-aim-your-vote/#axzz55gd1KQEx

good timely thread Tess...

Va_Nemo

Having done just and only the first bit of research/reading/learning on this, I have a bit of concern on the reviews/recommendations/thoughts of Marion Hammer.

She always had great credibility support from me, but some things I have heard give me pause. Some say she is part of the 1997 dissident group she references.

Nemo

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I generally don't vote for "celebrities" - whether from TV, radio, or the NRA's own marketing.

I do know that several high-profile people in the firearms industry actively oppose open carry. I will NOT vote for them. Thus the question.

The discussion could go all over the place with character assessments and NRA assessments, which is why I'm hoping to limit at least this thread. I'll have to do more searching, and will share anything I find too.

mnrobitaille

From my understanding there has only been one Director that has attended all meetings & that is Timothy Knight. He has a Facebook page as well where he responds concerning issues.

Timothy Knight for NRA Board of Directors

Unfortunately I am not a yet a fully paid life member, nor a member in good standing for over 5 years, so am unable to vote currently.

solus

From my understanding there has only been one Director that has attended all meetings & that is Timothy Knight. He has a Facebook page as well where he responds concerning issues.

Timothy Knight for NRA Board of Directors

Unfortunately I am not a yet a fully paid life member, nor a member in good standing for over 5 years, so am unable to vote currently.

Mnrobitaille, please look at the cite to PAFGO i listed in my initial thread post...Mr. Knight is full of crap, he is not the only BoD to have attended all meetings as the charts show...

let's keep the thread pointed towards discerning which of the BoDs support OC'g.

mnrobitaille

Mnrobitaille, please look at the cite to PAFGO i listed in my initial thread post...Mr. Knight is full of crap, he is not the only BoD to have attended all meetings as the charts show...

let's keep the thread pointed towards discerning which of the BoDs support OC'g.

As I stated initially, "it is my understanding", meaning off of what I have seen & know. There's always going to be additional resources out there.

In regards to Mr. Knight's stance regarding open carry (in his own words):
I agree with open carry and do practice it in some places, however I recognize that it can cause problems due to misconceptions and mixed perceptions. Having been around firearms my whole life, I notice when someone is openly carrying one but do not necessarily consider them a threat. Their behavior with that firearm determines my behavior towards them. However, those who have been immersed in a firearms-restrictive culture consider carrying a gun as the purview of law enforcement, the military or criminals rather than as an individual right. The mere sight of a gun without a badge or uniform can cause shock or alarm.

Such perceptions are not justification for infringing upon the rights of free citizens but neither should they be ignored by the gun owning community. While the word "compromise" has become a euphemism for "give up your rights," I believe there is room for it here so long as it is on an individual and not legislative basis. I do not believe in or support laws that restrict the individual right to openly carry a legally-owned firearm. However, I believe that fellow gun owners should seek to educate those who are alarmed by it rather than take a combative, "It's my right so deal with it" stance that only serves to reinforce stereotypes.

Encounters with fellow citizens who do not come from a "gun world" are opportunities to illustrate that guns don’t “just go off” or jump out of holsters and that the presence of a firearm does not alter the normalcy of anyone's day. It's an expression of a Constitutional right, as much as wearing a t-shirt with a political slogan or religious image. It's a chance to plant a small seed of liberty in the mind of someone who may not have seen such freedom before and may never do so again. Exercise your right but remember to also see it as an opportunity to educate and grow our numbers.

More about Mr. Knight can be found at: Knight 4 NRA

OC for ME

It's an expression of a Constitutional right, as much as wearing a t-shirt with a political slogan or religious image.
This guy has been waste deep in the swamp for far too long.
However, I believe that fellow gun owners should seek to educate those who are alarmed by it rather than take a combative, "It's my right so deal with it" stance that only serves to reinforce stereotypes.
It would be nice if Mr. Knight would stay focused on the source of the daily pitfalls of those who OC within the confines of the law...cops who are either nitwits, or anti-liberty. The regular Joe is rarely going to notice, in the first place, and do nothing in the second place if he does notice.

http://www.knight4nra.com/qa-with-tim#block-dfe5613d342f337d4ed5

Anyone who associates constitutional carry with CC w/o a permit needs some educating himself. He is the guy who facilitated the Colorado recall effort. He currently sits on the board. Should be easy unless he votes with the swamp critters more times than not.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Adam Kraut

Adam Kraut responded to my query on his website, stating that while he does not personally carry openly, he supports the rights of those who do.

He was unable to point me to any news/reports/statements verifying that.

Va_Nemo

Something additional to review, consider and evaluate regarding the election.

Nemo

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/nj2as-proudly-endorses-timothy-knight/

NJ2AS Proudly Endorses Timothy Knight & these NRA Board Candidates
Ammoland Inc. Posted on January 30, 2018 by Ammoland
Timothy Knight

New Jersey – -(Ammoland.com)- It's that time of the year where we at NJ2AS are inundated with questions from our membership and supporters on who we should vote for in this year's 2018 NRA Board of Directors election. Below are our recommendations of proven leaders:

1. Timothy Knight
2. Adam Kraut
3. Julie A. Golob
4. Duane Liptak
5. Kristy Titus
6. Maria Heil
7. John Sigler

All of these individuals bring serious value to New Jersey, the Nation, and NRA leadership (which we believe needs a serious overhaul). While certain individuals are out there giving the illusion they're fighting on behalf of New Jersey gun owners, we know first hand who is the real-deal and the hucksters.

Do not waste your vote on undeserving candidates and bullet vote specifically for these individuals. To clarify, bullet voting is the process where you only choose these candidates on your ballot despite having more opportunities to vote for more individuals.

New Jersey Second Amendment Society
http://www.nj2as.org/