• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about PA carry laws for non citizens

hotrodstu77

Hi there,

Been reading from this forum for a few years dreaming of being able to carry as Canada essentially does not allow it. I have have my firearms license for 2 years now and own several handguns, shotguns, ar15s etc.

Long story short I am trying to find out how the laws pertain to my upcoming situation. In a month I will be starting work in PA for at least 9 months on contract for an American company. I do not plan to bring my firearms with me as it will more then likely be a hassle at the border. I would however still like to enjoy my hobby while I am living in the states. So I am trying to find out if I will be able to purchase and own firearms in the state of PA. And if I am allowed to do so can I open carry since I doubt it would be issued a concealed permit.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. I have been searching for weeks with no solid answer.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1. Welcome to OCDO.

2. Do you really expect us to blieve that in all your searching you did not come across the ATF FAQS about non-resident aliens purchasing firearms? Or any of the news stories about recent court cases that have shaken up the ATF and their FAQS?

I typed "can a nonresident alien buy a firearm in pennsylvania" and got over 205,000 responses.

3. What do you plan to buy while you are here? I might want to call dibs on something that you are going to sell off/give away because you can't take it back to the Frozen North without all those hassles at the border.

stay safe.

hotrodstu77

1. Welcome to OCDO.

2. Do you really expect us to blieve that in all your searching you did not come across the ATF FAQS about non-resident aliens purchasing firearms? Or any of the news stories about recent court cases that have shaken up the ATF and their FAQS?

I typed "can a nonresident alien buy a firearm in pennsylvania" and got over 205,000 responses.

3. What do you plan to buy while you are here? I might want to call dibs on something that you are going to sell off/give away because you can't take it back to the Frozen North without all those hassles at the border.

stay safe.

Sorry I guess I should have clarified that I am also unsure of what my status would be while working there. This is all completely new to me. All I know is I'm getting a work visa and they are putting me up in a place to stay. I will do some searching through those faqs.

Was planning on buying a handgun for carry(if possible), target practice, HD. and then maybe a shotgun or rifle if I find some like minded enthusiast at my new job that are active shooters.

Thanks for the response!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry I guess I should have clarified that I am also unsure of what my status would be while working there. This is all completely new to me. All I know is I'm getting a work visa and they are putting me up in a place to stay. I will do some searching through those faqs.

Was planning on buying a handgun for carry(if possible), target practice, HD. and then maybe a shotgun or rifle if I find some like minded enthusiast at my new job that are active shooters.

Thanks for the response!

Please check your PMs.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Got a PM back from the OP very quickly, and then sent another PM. Since then, no response.

Troll-o-meter moving from yellow to orange.

stay safe.

hotrodstu77

Got a PM back from the OP very quickly, and then sent another PM. Since then, no response.

Troll-o-meter moving from yellow to orange.

stay safe.

I just replied. Sorry I didn't have time to get back to you sooner. I'm not sure if you play the role of the local forum jerk but you could have just helped me out instead of questioning my intelligence. Sorry my question sounds stupid but as I stated in my response via pm that I am not a troll and I am just trying to find some answers to a a situation I am not familiar with. Just the fact that I got a response like this to a valid question makes me see why I've heard negative things about firearms owners in the states.

If you don't have a valid response to my question then please don't respond with negativity.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just replied. Sorry I didn't have time to get back to you sooner. I'm not sure if you play the role of the local forum jerk but you could have just helped me out instead of questioning my intelligence. Sorry my question sounds stupid but as I stated in my response via pm that I am not a troll and I am just trying to find some answers to a a situation I am not familiar with. Just the fact that I got a response like this to a valid question makes me see why I've heard negative things about firearms owners in the states.

If you don't have a valid response to my question then please don't respond with negativity.

What part of
do you consider to be less than a valid response?

Thank you for basing your opinion of all American firearm owners on your opinion of my communications with you.

My Troll-o-meter remains orange. Perhaps you could change it back to somewhere between yellow and green by coming back after you have done your research.

stay safe.

Jared

Hi there,

Been reading from this forum for a few years dreaming of being able to carry as Canada essentially does not allow it. I have have my firearms license for 2 years now and own several handguns, shotguns, ar15s etc.

Long story short I am trying to find out how the laws pertain to my upcoming situation. In a month I will be starting work in PA for at least 9 months on contract for an American company. I do not plan to bring my firearms with me as it will more then likely be a hassle at the border. I would however still like to enjoy my hobby while I am living in the states. So I am trying to find out if I will be able to purchase and own firearms in the state of PA. And if I am allowed to do so can I open carry since I doubt it would be issued a concealed permit.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. I have been searching for weeks with no solid answer.

All the speculation on here is comical, too bad no one gave you the correct answer.

Yes, PA does not discriminate in that regard. The license has a spot for an alien admission number if applicable.

The guy in charge of Canada Carry obtained a PA license through Centre County.

Now you have to apply in person though.

hotrodstu77

Thanks for the help Jared, I appreciate the helpful answer! I'm going to poke around the sheriffs station when I get there to investigate more.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All the speculation on here is comical, too bad no one gave you the correct answer.

Yes, PA does not discriminate in that regard. The license has a spot for an alien admission number if applicable.

The guy in charge of Canada Carry obtained a PA license through Centre County.

Now you have to apply in person though.

Thanks for the help Jared, I appreciate the helpful answer! I'm going to poke around the sheriffs station when I get there to investigate more.

OP states he wants to buy a handgun, and then later possibly a long gun and a shotgun. OP gives information that it is unlikely he will qualify as a resident alien. OP expresses gratitude at learning that even a non-resident alien can get a PA LTCH, but makes no comment about learning if a non-resident alien can purchase a firearm.

I'll take "Canadians most likely to end up in federal prison" for $2,000, Alex.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, hell!

https://www.atf.gov/content/may-non...d-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-alien-visa

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant alien visa purchase or possess a firearm in the U.S. ?

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien falls within one of the following exceptions: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes; (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States; (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited; (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

In addition, a nonimmigrant alien legally in the United States with or without a nonimmigrant visa may lawfully acquire a firearm only if he/she meets State of residence requirements as required by the Federal government. For more information, see ATF Ruling 2010-6 at: https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2010-6.pdf.

The OP, based on their previously posted statements, will not meet the residency requirement. Their declared intention is to sojourn in the USA (specifically PA) for a specified time specifically to work and to then return to Canada.

So the OP will need to have a valid hunting license or have been admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes. Based on what the OP has already posted, they do not meet #1 or #2 above. Further, if they do apply for and receive a non-resident hunting license it will not allow them to posses a firearm except when hunting/going directly to/from hunting. Meeting #3 is probably not going to happen, but stranger things have happened. They do not meet #4 - #7.

stay safe.