• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Re Going mascke in public; City Plans Halloween-Mask Crackdown In Wake Of 30 Robberies

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.local6.com/news/14409117/detail.html

COCOA, Fla. -- Residents wearing masks in certain public areas this Halloween could be arrested as part of a police crackdown in the wake of dozens of robberies committed by men in disguise.

In the last four months, city businesses in Cocoa have reported 30 different crimes by armed bandits wearing masks.

According to a Florida law, wearing a mask in public is a misdemeanor, the Local 6 report said.

Officers in Cocoa said they plan to crackdown on the statute around Halloween this year.

"This is new for us," Cocoa police representative Barbara Matthews said. "This is something proactive we are trying. And it may have some kinks. But for most of the law abiding citizens, it's not going to be an issue for them.

"Cocoa police officers are telling local businesses to post fliers on their windows, asking customers to remove any type of mask before entering. Store and hotel employees may be asking people to remove masks on their property.

"If they have nothing to worry about, it is going to be a quick encounter and then we are going to be on our way to the next call," Matthews said.

Authorities said they plan to use discretion over who they arrest during the crackdown.

Anyone arrested for wearing a mask can expect to pay a hefty fine or spend up to a year in prison, Local 6 reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

DeltaII5

imported post

I'm gonna look that one up.

I believe we have something similiar in PA, but it only applies to when you are committing a crime. It rings a bell, but I can't remember.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Can you picture all the senior citizens down there answering the door with a bowl of candy and a 12 gauge. That might freak the kids out a little too much, but it would be good for the crooks.