• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reeder's Ruck St. Point 4/29/17

Wstar425

Warning!!!!!!! Dog heavy post, proceed at your own risk. Keep your bitchin' to yourself.

Went down and did a walkabout with the pup. 8 miles in 1 hour 57 minutes. Had a 24 minute train delay so not exact time. Goal was the be under 2 hours. Winner was 1 and 5 minutes with a 35 pound pack. I was 17 pounds. Fundraiser for ROTC Scholarships. Friend's son is a Jr at Point in the ROTC.

Only Facebook, sorry. Search on Reeder's Ruck if interested, I'll post some pics.

I'm the guy with the German Shepherd. CCed the Sig 938, would have been OC except it never got warm enough to take off my vest. Kind of glad I didn't take the boat anchor 226. Dog was speed, I was navigation. At 58, I was one of the older participants, if not the oldest. Didn't really keep track , but figure I came in 35-40 out of 77.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Wstar425

Walked with this guy for a while, but he kept disappearing on me.....
Said the first year somebody called 911 on him, afraid of his "weapon". I remember that making the news. This was the third year for the Ruck, my first.

I might have failed to mention that one of us had a real firearm.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Wstar425

The guy to my left had 44 pounds in his pack, the same weight he is humping thru the Grand Canyon, shortly in the future. He was somewhere around me until about the last mile, then started jogging. The winner did it in and hour and 5 minutes with 35 pounds, so almost twice as fast as me. I started out alone, but talked to different people, which really helped the miles go by quicker. Route was mostly flat, elevation change of probably less than 20 feet, it is central WI after all.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 97

Wstar425

Had three people ask if they could pet my dog. Uhmmmmm No. After we got back and quieted down a little I did let a couple of the ROTC guys pet her that said they hope to be dog handlers. She was well behaved and made me proud!!

Five dogs on Ruck, two black labs, a golden, a bulldog, and us. The bulldog was like a bulldozer with a big CAT motor. Young guy running on and off. I wanted to keep up with him, but gave up. Caught him at the train crossing and talked a bit.

Walked with one of the black labs, and maybe found a guy that can out talk me! Did about two miles, then they stopped for a break and we kept moving.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 86

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sounds like a good time and a great way to meet people.

Now to get my 4 mile plus run in this morning with my lab he is a lot more excited about then I am.

Wstar425

People seemed a little wary of me, but warmed up as the day progressed. First time I've done anything like this. Dog settled down after a bit, she is not good with other dogs and spotty with people. Not a dog you want to just walk up to and think you're gonna pet. Got asked quite a bit if she is a service dog or K-9. There is another one in Merrill, May 27th, the day before my birthday. Work in Merrill and told a couple guys at work I would do that one if it went well. Dog did great, I can feel the difference in the last three miles this morning, but getting up and going to church.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The fella that I knew that walked the Grand Canyon, Colin Fletcher, The Man Who Walked Through Time, traveled so lightly that he wore his skivvies on his bald head, depending on his overhang for shade. I learned much from his The Compleat Walker and our acquaintance.

I still have my copy of The Man Who Walked Through Time and The Compleat Walker a couple of the reasons I still like back packing today.

Wstar425

The fella that I knew that walked the Grand Canyon, Colin Fletcher, The Man Who Walked Through Time, traveled so lightly that he wore his skivvies on his bald head, depending on his overhang for shade. I learned much from his The Compleat Walker and our acquaintance.

I believe I'll keep looking for another way to claim my fame, thank you very much!! Not familiar with either of those works, but that is a word picture I will now be trying to get out of my head!

Too bad I wasn't aware of this earlier, I could have made that suggestion. Guy did not appear to be in the best of shape, but he had an extra 30 pounds over me and beat me by a minute, so I'll not be too hard on him. Dog pulling me along probably cut some time off me as well.

Wstar425

Another off topic dog adventure tale that has been posted in wrong forum. Perhaps general discussion, etc.

I thought about putting it into General Discussion or the Social Lounge. If the Mods want to move it, I have no problem with that.

Tried to give you enough warning so as to not fracture your tender sensibilities. Pretty sure there was ONE picture in there of open carry.........Oh well.

Every have anything positive to say about anything? Didn't think so.
Have a good day.

Last edited:

Wstar425

May 27th, hopefully the weather is nicer and I plan to OC the P226 and double mag carrier at that one. That's what I carry normally. The 8 miles was kind of spooking me I guess, but it went by quickly when I talked and walked. This one is only 6.2 miles, a 5K I think. Not a runner nor a metric guy. We've had rain like 25 of the last 30 days, or so it seems. Getting old!!

Wstar425

Going back this Saturday, 28th for 2018 Reeders Ruck. Taking dog and planning to OC the 226, provided weather cooperates. Been having some gout in my right big toe, but it seems to be kinda in limbo. St. Point is kind of a liberal enclave, so I could see some possible issues with OC. It is a fund raiser for the Army ROTC, last I checked the Army still had some guns, so we’ll see.

I talked to the guy in the ghille? suit with the big multi colored plastic toy gun and he said the first year some people on the route called the cops on him. On the other hand, I’m not going to be quite that noticeable. I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m asked to disarm or leave. As far as I know and can tell, the entire walk is all on public property. I guess I will ask for my money back if that happens, it’s basically a $30 donation for the ability to walk on public property, you don’t ask for pledges. Walkers do get a grab bag and a free meal at a local restaurant, but I won’t leave my dog in the truck, so I didn’t eat.

Last edited:

Wstar425

2018 Reeders Ruck

Survived the 8 mile walk. Did not carry the 35 pounds. 1:57 and change, within a minute of last year’s time. I did not run at all, just a fast walk. It was about 36 degrees at the start, the jacket came off at the one mile mark, so open carry from there. Not one word, good or bad about a firearm. The guy with the ghillie suit and plastic gun was not there, I suspect he has graduated. Talked to Stacey Reeder, the Mom, at the end for about 15 minutes, she said she remembered me from last year. (The dog) I have not walked nearly as much this spring due to our weather, and I could tell. The last two miles were going bad fast. I talked to three of the Stevens Point Police officers at the start, while concealed, about my dog, and their K-9. If you look REAL closely and use your imagination you can see a firearm on my right hip.

Route was a little different this year. 5 mile and 8 mile split at mile 2. Award ceremony was at a bar, so the 5 milers pretty much left when done, so you didn’t get the big cheering section at the finish line. I will be 60 next month, if I go back I’m thinking I might do the 5 mile, for the dog’s sake! I was not last and I beat some younger people, but they were most likely ruckng the 35 pounds. I would not have finished had I tried that.

Attachments

• 33B41801-59F1-4850-A755-6C17A79AB8F9.jpg
    33B41801-59F1-4850-A755-6C17A79AB8F9.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Wstar425

Much of this year’s walk was out in the country instead of in town. Not sure if I was supposed to but let pup do off leash heel and even poke around in the woods some. I seemed to be in big open gaps a lot. I was one of the few non competitors that did the 8 miles, so I was towards the back as most were running. I’d say the majority of the walkers picked the 5 mile route. (Smart!)

Attachments

• DD67F1D5-867C-4AD7-93FE-3E4774140C5F.jpg
    DD67F1D5-867C-4AD7-93FE-3E4774140C5F.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 61