• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading Machines

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Well ammo has proved to be quite expensive and I've decided to purchase a reloading machine.One that I've been looking at isfrom Dillon Precision. The RL550B, w/o a Caliber Conversion Kit can reload from 400 to 600 rounds per hour if you have the materials.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this company's product and knows anything about their safety record.

Also, how about the prices for new vs once fired rifle and pistol brass and bullets. Where do you buy if you reload?

Do you make your own bullets? If so, what kind of casting tools do you use? Do you make gas checked bullets? Do you make jacketed bullets? Is the current shortage and price of bullets making you begin to consider making your own ammo?

Please keep this thread on topic.

Thanks

bdodds

imported post

I've been reloading with a 550 for about 15 years now, it's a fine piece of machinery.. Dillon has been a great company to work with, they've been quick to replace any problem parts on their dime which so far for me has only been 2 parts.. They have a great warranty, and if you call the support line (great phone number too, 800-223-4570!) you get people who know the machines and can help right away.. the 550 is great if you reload multiple calibers because you can swap out the whole die set without much fuss and go on your way with a new caliber..

i disagree with the number of rounds per hour count - personally I like to spot check powder loads and measure OAL and other things to make sure things don't drift.. even with my dies cranked down i notice a small amount of drift over 50-100 rounds, minuscule though - in the range of a few thousandths.. so if you're paranoid like me and want to check things, you won't get those numbers.. also consider the physical aspect, you crank 4 rounds into dies, then jam a primer in, move the base and then insert a new case and place a new bullet - that gets tiring after a hundred or so.. the 650 includes a powder check station, so consider that if you want some help with the powder paranoia..

the second down side is that components, while somewhat easier to find than full bullets, it's getting hard to find components at a reasonable price.. apparently $30 boxes of primers were going for $70 at the recent gun show down here, according to the show thread, so it's not going to be cheap..

the bit i like is that i can go downstairs, crank 50 rounds out, hit the range on the way home from work, and spend no time getting ammo or futzing around over that, just roll in, pick up my brass, roll out.. and if you find a range that lets you scavenge the brass bucket, that's free brass!

i've played a little with making my own bullets, but it's really, really time consuming and the combination of the weight of lead plus the molten metal aspect leads me to believe it's more for people who want to craft their own match ammo, or make period-accurate stuff, or really enjoy every aspect of reloading - it's definitely not going to save any time and maybe little money..

it's a great hobby, you're probably not going to save much money in the long run - definitely not in the short run, but i find it very enjoyable, therapeutic, and i get to geek out on details like case length, work hardening, lengths and widths and headspacing.. it's a good time..

Beau

imported post

I reload and use the 550B. I love it. A very good investment. I shoot USPSA and Steel matches and burn through quite a bit of ammo. I've thought about casting but am waiting until I have the money to invest in the stuff that I want to get started.

So far I have not had a problem with my machine. When I start a session I'll check my powder weight and overall length for the first 10 rounds and every 20 to 50 rounds after that.

As another poster stated. Components are getting hard to find. If I can't pick up primers and brass at the next gun show I'm done shooting for a while.

mobeewan

imported post

Ilove mineand have complete caliber conversions (including powder measurers)set up to load 45 ACP, .357 mag, 38 SPCL, 9 MM &.223. All I need now is .308.

Have had excellent service from Dillon including a coule of freebieseven though I am the third owner (first owner is my best friend and second owner is a friend of both of us, they both wanted larger Dillons).

Gordie

imported post

Dillons are great machines.:celebrate

They may not be cheap, but the customer service is unbeatable. They have replaced a couple of parts on mine for free, even after I told them that it was my fault that it broke.

Deanimator

imported post

I'm on my second Dillon RL550B. It's a great machine, and Dillon has fabulous customer service. I load all of my pistol ammunition on the Dillon. I load all of my rifle ammunition on an RCBS Rock Chucker. I use a single stage for rifle because I trickle and weigh every charge, and the Dillon's not really made for that.

I've got several tool heads, caliber conversions and powder measures so that I can easily switch calibers, or even loads within calibers without resetting dies and powder measures.

I wouldn't even consider a different brand of progressive press.