• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rem 700 Recall.. About time.

WalkingWolf

Mehhhh. Any gun can only have deadly consequences if it is pointed at a living object.

ND's are always the fault of somebody else, or equipment. :rolleyes: Just easier than admitting screwing up.

J_dazzle23

That's awesome. I've heard of people scoping in on a deer and the gun going off when it wasn't supposed to and they end up with a gutshot animal. Also guys hunting with it slung over their shoulder and the gun just fires into the ground.

Sure, don't point your gun at something you don't want to shoot. But if I spend my hard earned money on a rifle, it better dang well go off only when I hit that trigger.

since9

Campaign Veteran
A friend demonstrated the malfunction to me with his 700. I made up my mind then and there never to buy Remington.

The problem is real, folks. Wonder why it took them so incredibly damned long to admit it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I had that happen once when I was hunting cows .... luckily I was able to reload and get the beast. Hamburgers for lunch that day.

Any mechanical reason for the issue?

J_dazzle23

I had that happen once when I was hunting cows .... luckily I was able to reload and get the beast. Hamburgers for lunch that day.

Any mechanical reason for the issue?

It's a magical hunting unicorn.

Srs though, my feedback on it has been if a round is chambered, safety on, and trigger pressed at all, the gun fires when the safety is flipped off. That's what gutshot an animal for a friend of mine, while he was scoping in on it.

I do know many snipers in the military use the 700 platform, but it gets broken down and rebuilt to whatever specs they have.

I've heard it's something to do with the sear in the trigger mechanism, but I'm no gunsmith so that's about all I know.

WalkingWolf

It's a magical hunting unicorn.

Srs though, my feedback on it has been if a round is chambered, safety on, and trigger pressed at all, the gun fires when the safety is flipped off. That's what gutshot an animal for a friend of mine, while he was scoping in on it.

I do know many snipers in the military use the 700 platform, but it gets broken down and rebuilt to whatever specs they have.

I've heard it's something to do with the sear in the trigger mechanism, but I'm no gunsmith so that's about all I know.

There was a video somewhere on this, and the only way to make the 700 act like the claims was to fiddle with it to lighten the trigger pull. Seems the logical conclusion is to make a trigger with ONE setting that cannot be fiddled with. If numpties want to fiddle with it. The military does fine with some fantastic shots WITHOUT making the trigger lighter.

A 1911 some years back killed a man with a ND that fired over a berm, because the owner had lightened the trigger to ridicules pull. Stupidity has been forced on us by the PC crowd who believe nothing is ever their fault. One of the posters on HPFF shot himself in the leg, and then came on the site to bash Hi Points, he got no sympathy, he deserved none. Anybody that does anything with a gun while pointed at a non target, is a moron. That is why we have warnings on coffee cups, because people are stupid, and they are to stupid to admit it.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f272/accidental-discharge-312031/

[video=youtube;2SqRH3tHhdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqRH3tHhdM[/video]

Last edited:

The Truth

I've been shooting a Model 700 ADL bolt action 30.06 for over 20 years, no problems. I've messed with the trigger and the safety a ton on the range too to see if I could get it to go off to no avail. Maybe I can find a 300 Mag super cheap now that no one wants em.

Shot my Dad's 700 ADL beginning when I was about 8 years old and got mine when I was 10. Neither gun has ever had issues. We even accidentally ran over my Dad's with a 1/2 ton truck and it still shot flawlessly.

Last edited:

x1wildone

There was a video somewhere on this, and the only way to make the 700 act like the claims was to fiddle with it to lighten the trigger pull. Seems the logical conclusion is to make a trigger with ONE setting that cannot be fiddled with. If numpties want to fiddle with it. The military does fine with some fantastic shots WITHOUT making the trigger lighter.

A 1911 some years back killed a man with a ND that fired over a berm, because the owner had lightened the trigger to ridicules pull. Stupidity has been forced on us by the PC crowd who believe nothing is ever their fault. One of the posters on HPFF shot himself in the leg, and then came on the site to bash Hi Points, he got no sympathy, he deserved none. Anybody that does anything with a gun while pointed at a non target, is a moron. That is why we have warnings on coffee cups, because people are stupid, and they are to stupid to admit it.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f272/accidental-discharge-312031/

[video=youtube;2SqRH3tHhdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqRH3tHhdM[/video]

W W Can you tell us why you feel the need to defend the remington 700?

WalkingWolf

I've been shooting a Model 700 ADL bolt action 30.06 for over 20 years, no problems. I've messed with the trigger and the safety a ton on the range too to see if I could get it to go off to no avail. Maybe I can find a 300 Mag super cheap now that no one wants em.

Shot my Dad's 700 ADL beginning when I was about 8 years old and got mine when I was 10. Neither gun has ever had issues. We even accidentally ran over my Dad's with a 1/2 ton truck and it still shot flawlessly.

Most people who have ND's are unwilling to admit they are responsible for ND's. I will admit Remington should have made a trigger that morons could not tamper with. But to blame this on the 700 would be the same as blaming Glock ND's on Glock. We live in a world where it is always somebody else fault.

There should be lawsuits against Glock to make them correct their gun so idiots cannot shoot themselves.:rolleyes:

J_dazzle23

I don't even own a 700, but I did my research. And the research shows that idiots should not operate machinery, including guns.
I'm completely in agreement with you, but this gun has had a plethora of times it has gone off without touching the trigger, without any modifications. I've seen people buy one off the shelf do it breaking it in at the range. Gun safety aside, this is why there is a recall.

I've never heard of a glock, or any other gun for that matter doing that.

If you point a gun at someone, you're at fault. But I still want my hard earned cash to buy something that works right.

wizzi01

I sent my 700 in earlier this year to get the new trigger installed. I tried everything to get the rifle to fire when it wasn't supposed to. It didn't, but they were offering the repair for free so I took them up on it.

WalkingWolf

I have not seen one video of this phenomenon without someone actually fiddling with the trigger settings. If this was actually so rampant there would be thousands of videos. Remington reaction is nothing more than appeasing the idiots.

Glocks have gone off thousands of times when handled by idiots.

F350

I have not seen one video of this phenomenon without someone actually fiddling with the trigger settings. If this was actually so rampant there would be thousands of videos. Remington reaction is nothing more than appeasing the idiots.

I have a 700 in 7mm mag I bought new probably 30+ years ago, the trigger has NEVER been modified in any way shape or form. Six years ago I shot a deer that went over a small rise, I chambered a new round activated the safety and went to the rise. The deer was just over the rise dead so I was going to unload. I had the butt against my thigh, my right hand wasn't even on the pistol grip much less finger on the trigger as I took the safety off with my thumb (bolt won't open on safe) in preparation to open the bolt; AND THE RIFLE FIRED!!!

Sorry, but I don't have my own personal vidiographer to document it for you. I have fired hundreds if not a thousand rounds through that rife without a problem, and maybe a hundred rounds since without a problem, but it only takes one to ruin your health records.

I have three 700s (22-250, 7mm mag and 30-06), all will go in for new triggers.

WalkingWolf

I have a 700 in 7mm mag I bought new probably 30+ years ago, the trigger has NEVER been modified in any way shape or form. Six years ago I shot a deer that went over a small rise, I chambered a new round activated the safety and went to the rise. The deer was just over the rise dead so I was going to unload. I had the butt against my thigh, my right hand wasn't even on the pistol grip much less finger on the trigger as I took the safety off with my thumb (bolt won't open on safe) in preparation to open the bolt; AND THE RIFLE FIRED!!!

Sorry, but I don't have my own personal vidiographer to document it for you. I have fired hundreds if not a thousand rounds through that rife without a problem, and maybe a hundred rounds since without a problem, but it only takes one to ruin your health records.

I have three 700s (22-250, 7mm mag and 30-06), all will go in for new triggers.

If the gun is faulty I am pretty sure it would be faulty later unless repaired. Why couldn't you document yourself? I have provided documentation that shows exactly why the system fails, but only after fiddling. Not saying it didn't happen, but you know the old saying "No pics/video~~~". Every gunsmith I have talked to say the same thing as the video I put up.

I am sure the guns will come back with stiff/lawyer triggers that cannot be adjusted, and then the biotching will continue like they do about the trigger on Smith striker semi autos.

Last edited:

F350

If the gun is faulty I am pretty sure it would be faulty later unless repaired. Why couldn't you document yourself? I have provided documentation that shows exactly why the system fails, but only after fiddling. Not saying it didn't happen, but you know the old saying "No pics/video~~~". Every gunsmith I have talked to say the same thing as the video I put up.

I am sure the guns will come back with stiff/lawyer triggers that cannot be adjusted, and then the biotching will continue like they do about the trigger on Smith striker semi autos.

As I said; in the woods deer hunting alone, so who is going to video? I have read that pulling the trigger while on safe will cause the malfunction, I have tried multiple times with no "luck" in duplicating the malfunction. Yesterday I couldn't get the wife's car to start (engage the starter) with either key; this morning it started just fine znd at least 10 times today, why? Heck I don't know. As I said it only takes once to "**** up your health records" as my old Senior DI use to say.

If I don't like the triggers they come back with there is always Timney, which I have considered anyway.

x1wildone

Plenty of other companies have rifles, trigger systems etc. that work properly as expected. Remington has known about this issue forever and refused to fix it.
Basic gun safety is always the first priority but there will always be the exceptions and unknown circumstances. Such as an inexperienced person that is trying to unload a gun that has to have the safety system disengaged to unload, with a trigger system that has -not- been messed with that still goes off unexpectedly.

We have safety systems in all aspects of our day to day lives that are put into place to help guard against the unknown and known hazards of our everyday lives. These systems are voluntary or forced depending on the need. When we have companies that refuse to develop safe practices then our govt. gets involved.
This is rarely a good thing but at times necessary.
Remington is one of those companies that had an easy fix to apply but has refused, and thus has shown there true colors. They value the dollar more than human life. Or more accurately stated the pennies.
I despise nanny state laws that we have in place, such as forced seat belt laws.But i know that individuals and companies have to be told what to do because they just do not get it.
Remington has known about this issue for over 35 years, and they prefer to ignore it. While using the rules of gun safety as an escape hatch.