• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Renaissance Firearms banned carry in store

summerof95

Perhaps this has already been brought to light, but looking over the past few pages of posts, I haven't see it mentioned.

The last time I visited my (formerly) favorite gun-shop, Renaissance Firearms in Gonic, I noticed this sign:
05-21-11_1237.jpg

I don't recall having ever seen that there before, and I've previously open carried in the store without any comments.

Anybody know when this happened?

doobie

Perhaps this has already been brought to light, but looking over the past few pages of posts, I haven't see it mentioned.

The last time I visited my (formerly) favorite gun-shop, Renaissance Firearms in Gonic, I noticed this sign:
05-21-11_1237.jpg

I don't recall having ever seen that there before, and I've previously open carried in the store without any comments.

Anybody know when this happened?

No idea. I'd either shop elsewhere or walk by it knowing you'll be safe if someone tries to attack that useable-gun free zone. My guess is some idiot had an accident or did something stupid.

USAR-VET

If that were my favorite gun store, and they posted that sign, I would have to inform them that they lost my business and they wouldn't see me again. Of all places to NOT respect our 2nd Amendment rights, gezzz...........

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Sad to see and I don't agree on banning carry but people do a lot of dumb dangerous things in gun shops. Working in a gun store, I'm in more danger from careless idiots than from an armed robbery. You would be amazed how many people including law enforcement types will try a holster with a loaded gun. Of course signage doesn't stop all of the stupidity.

summerof95

You would be amazed how many people including law enforcement types will try a holster with a loaded gun.

I've seen that more times than I've have liked...

But it just seems odd that a store which relies on people owning firearms, isn't supportive of people owning firearms.

Like a Hindu McDonalds, a Catholic whorehouse, or an Amish Best Buy... It Just doesn't make sense.

USAR-VET

But it just seems odd that a store which relies on people owning firearms, isn't supportive of people owning firearms.

Like a Hindu McDonalds, a Catholic whorehouse, or an Amish Best Buy... It Just doesn't make sense.

EXACTLY!! We've all seen idiots who don't know how to handle firearms. Just go to ANY range and you'll see what I mean. Doesn't mean you take someones right to protect themselves away especially in a gun store!! Like I said, go ahead put up the sign. You WON'T get my business, that's all.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We have had several instances where people have brought firearms in for trade that were loaded. We have also had customers who wished to purchase holsters wanting to use their own (loaded) weapon). For the safety of our staff & costumers we have initiated this policy.
I can not request a LEO to remove his weapon from any place he has legal jurisdiction to carry.
Please feel free to call me if you have any further questions,

Ernie Shipman
603-994-GUNS
Life Member NRA

I find that unfortunate - akin to anti laws attempting to legislate safety. Because you "ban" loaded guns won't make it so - each and every person, employee or customer, will still need to follow safe practices.

The sign will only effect those that choose to honor it. I will be one of those, but take note that I do not go where my companion is not welcome.

PS - Why can you not ban LEOs from carrying on your private property?

~*'Phoenix'*~

This could be addressed by moderation:
"Loaded firearms legally carried for self-defense are welcome, but for the safety of staff and customers, firearms brought for trade, sale, or checking of holsters or magazines must be unloaded. If you will be checking your carried gun for accessories, we must be allowed to unload it while it is unholstered."

LibertyDeath

"Loaded firearms legally carried for self-defense are welcome, but for the safety of staff and customers, firearms brought for trade, sale, or checking of holsters or magazines must be unloaded. If you will be checking your carried gun for accessories, we must be allowed to unload it while it is unholstered."

I agree, I see similar signage on quite a few store, I think even Cabelas or Sportsman Warehouse has one.

nhsig220

Couldn't agree more. It covers the bases at hand and doesn't make your customer go elsewhere.

longwatch

I've seen that more times than I've have liked...

Whats odd about not wanting to get shot? Nothing strange about that. One has to be alive to make a living off guns. They have gone too far in their signage is all.
What I suggest and implemented in my store and it has worked is a signage that says "Do not unholster your firearm". It has cut down the brandishing of loaded pistols at least 95%, really almost to zero but there are the folks who just won't read a sign.

longwatch

To long and wordy. "Do not unholster your firearm" works pretty well in my shop.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Whats odd about not wanting to get shot? Nothing strange about that. One has to be alive to make a living off guns. They have gone too far in their signage is all.

What I suggest and implemented in my store and it has worked is a signage that says "Do not unholster your firearm". It has cut down the brandishing of loaded pistols at least 95%, really almost to zero but there are the folks who just won't read a sign.

Best recommendation/wording yet.

Short. Clear. Easily understood.

USAR-VET

I agree Grape. Punishing people who wish to express there 2nd Amendment rights due to a few idiots is just plain wrong IMO. Change the sign to read " NO UNHOLSTERD FIREARMS" or "DO NOT UNHOLSTER YOUR FIREARM IN STORE" would do the trick. Like I said earlier, this shop WOULD NOT get my business if this sign wasn't taken down, period!!

jrd929

Gun Free Gun Store?

Yeah, I noticed that sign last time I was there. I didn't say anything about it although I was taken completely by surprise when I saw it. So I had to go back to my truck and leave my gun there. I like going to that store, but I'm starting to reconsider. Even KTP which sees many more customers allows customers to carry open and concealed in their store. They have the rule that it has to be unloaded if it is going to be looked at by employees for whatever reason, and that policy seems to be working out just fine. I use to refer people there all the time, but now that it's a gun free gun store, that's gonna stop, and so will my business. KTP is closer anyway.

Lthrnck

Clearing Station

Hello from Ohio....

It's been a long time since I have seen a "Gun Clearing Station" at ANY gun store.

I remember years ago, the the gun store(s) I went to had a "Gun Clearing Station" right outside the front door with signage similar to this... "PLEASE CLEAR ANY WEAPONS YOU NEED TO PURCHASE ACCESSORIES FOR" All others should remain in their holsters while inside the building.

These station were usually a 50 gal barrel, filled about 3/4 full of sand and set on a wooden stand which made the barrel angel slightly so you could easiley insert the firearm and dry fire it after first removing the ammo. Of course there was a hole cut in the top to insert the firearm.

Seems like common sense to have one, but then again I don't own a business that sells firearms.

KBCraig

Hello from Ohio....

It's been a long time since I have seen a "Gun Clearing Station" at ANY gun store.

I remember years ago, the the gun store(s) I went to had a "Gun Clearing Station" right outside the front door with signage similar to this... "PLEASE CLEAR ANY WEAPONS YOU NEED TO PURCHASE ACCESSORIES FOR" All others should remain in their holsters while inside the building.

These station were usually a 50 gal barrel, filled about 3/4 full of sand and set on a wooden stand which made the barrel angel slightly so you could easiley insert the firearm and dry fire it after first removing the ammo. Of course there was a hole cut in the top to insert the firearm.

Seems like common sense to have one, but then again I don't own a business that sells firearms.

The "barrel o' sand" was adopted from military practice, and while it's so-so as a field expedient clearing station, it's not all that safe. Since it's only partially full of sand, a gun stuck into the opening at any angle other than 90 degrees risks either too little sand, or missing the sand completely and firing right through the side of the barrel.

There are better modern solutions. For handguns, I would use an "academy pad", like this:

http://www.safedirection.com/academypad.html

If I owned a gun store or sold at gun shows, every handgun that passed from the case to the customer or vice versa, would be cleared over such a pad. You don't have to buy them new; you could make your own by buying body armor (perhaps past its usage date), cutting it down to pad size, and still be safe by doubling or tripling the thickness.

For long guns, there are also multiple solutions. Some of them are only good for a single discharge. While we hope to never have even a single discharge, ruining your clearing station just might end your operations for the day. There are other options, like this one:

http://www.snailtraps.com/checkitMini.php

Snail Traps work well for indoor range systems; this product is just a tabletop version of the same design. The animated .gif at the top of the page shows how it works. It's not harmed by a discharge.

Okay, all that said, 25+ years of combined military and LE experience have persuaded me that focusing on the "clearing station experience" often misses the point. It misses the goal of safely clearing a firearm after use, and focuses on rote clearing drills that seldom involve actually checking for ammo in the chamber.

The military range traditions of "Ready on the right? Ready on the left?" and "No brass, no ammo!" teach people to be little robots on the range, not sentient beings actually thinking about gun safety.

Lthrnck

Times have changed..

I understand what you saying KB... I was just making note that you don't see the clearing stations... no matter what new fangled stuff they have to catch bullets...

They just are not there much anymore.

I would still rather clear in a barrel of sand then in the open... but I do understand new stuff is available.