• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Requirement of Serial Numbers on Guns Violates 2A. US v. Price, by Judge Joseph R. Goodwin (S.D. W. Va.)

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think serial numbers are a good idea for valuable items subject to theft.

I don't think it is really any of the governments business.

Except if one reports the item as stolen.

Many states have anti serial number tampering laws for the very reason criminals remove them to coverup their stealing.

American Patriot

Serial numbers are great for product liability... With mass production today in every product imaginable even from foreign countries there must be a surefire way to trace a prtoduct that fails otherswise there is no product warranty or liability that cn be successfuly litigated.

Scary Guy

Serial numbers are great. What isn't is having to report them to some central authority. There is no reason for that nonsense at all other than to punish people for failing to do so, and to confiscate them if they feel like it.

"Oh, I just bought a microwave, I better register this with the government!"