• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Riot at Triangle Town Center Mall, Raleigh, NC

Custodian

imported post

http://www.google.com/search?q=Riot...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://outside.in/places/triangle-town-center-raleigh
http://www.bullcityrising.com/2008/07/raleigh-mall-me.html
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1158843.html

I am surprised this hasn't been posted before here. There was a riot at a mall in Raleigh, North Carolina. A brawl which involved dozens of gang members and hundreds of people. As a (n) [open] carrier, how would you react if this once mythic/hypothetical situation unfolded before you at a once peaceful Saturday night at the local mall?

Charlotte_resident

imported post

Exactly. Some things are just better left for law enforcement. If you interveined you'd be in over your head pretty fast and vastly outnumbered and maybe even outgunned. I'm sure a few bystanders took a knock or two during this melee, but for the most part you're talking about a scum-on-scum conflict anyhow. Let 'em beat each other to a pulp, who cares? I'd get out fast and, as you said, warn others to not come in.

Let the cops sort out who did what by looking at the security tapes and pick up the ones who got away later. As one who works in the security industry as an alarm/CCTV system salesman, I have since come to notice that just about every single indoor public space is covered by cameras now. No one who was involved in this fiasco is going to get away with anything.

acritical

imported post

Without a doubt, get myself and those with me out of the area as fast and safely as possible, at the same time drawing as little attention as possible that I am carrying, if that means utilizing my concealed carry permit.

It was probably not posted as, other than getting yourself out of the area, there is nothing that a civilian should have done pertaining to this situation, other than trying to call 911, and getting out of harms way.

Drgong

imported post

Get out of harm ASAP and only using the gun if cornered or confronted.

That and call 911

swoolard

imported post

Drgong wrote:

That and call 911

Agreed, with one amendment... just my personal opinion... if you see anyone else cornered or confronted.

In this particular case, you would want to keep your back to the clear, don't let them get behind you -- it would be a prime example of when your gun could be stolen.

I agree with the guy above as well, they're scum vs. scum -- but don't let your family, friends, yourself or even other innocent bystanders get caught in the stupidity that is gang fights.

tnt high explosive

imported post

agreed. The only thing you could do is retreat and wait for the police to restore order to the stiuation. Confrontaion would be very bad as youl would be greatly outnumber and poissabley out gunned as well

yonder

imported post

Yeah no "castle doctrine" in a shopping mall. You don't stand your ground; you beat a hasty retreat. Avoid the conflict any way possible. Your sidearm is your last resort if you are in imminent danger.

If there's a bunch of rowdy teenager fighting in the food court, and they aren't coming at you with a deadly weapon, and you have a clear exit route available, no jury is likely to believe you are justified in using deadly force.

Godscreation

imported post

My principle is, don't go anywhere or do anything different that you wouldn't do if you were UNARMED. If you were unarmed and a fight broke out, and you normally just flee, if you are armed, do the same, if they have you cornered and you were unarmed, and you normally start swinging to defend yourself, defend yourself, only this time you have more effective tools.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swoolard wrote:
Drgong wrote:

That and call 911

Agreed, with one amendment... just my personal opinion... if you see anyone else cornered or confronted.

In this particular case, you would want to keep your back to the clear, don't let them get behind you -- it would be a prime example of when your gun could be stolen.

I agree with the guy above as well, they're scum vs. scum -- but don't let your family, friends, yourself or even other innocent bystanders get caught in the stupidity that is gang fights.
Yep, and yep.