• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&WB exception to state firearms law endorsed by Senate panel

estcrh

imported post

SO WHATS NEXT ON THE LIST????

S&WB exception to state firearms law endorsed by Senate panel
By Ed Anderson, The Times-Picayune
May 14, 2010, 5:30AM
New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board officials won a narrow victory Thursday in their attempt to ban firearms and explosive devices from their plants and other facilities.

State Sen. Edwin Murray
The Senate Committee on Local and Municipal Affairs voted 3-2 for Senate Bill 526 by Sen. Edwin Murray, D-New Orleans, which would give the board an exception to the state law that allows firearms to be carried onto a plant site as long as they are locked safely in a vehicle.

Murray's bill now heads to the Senate floor for debate. The governor's office and the National Rifle Association opposed Murray's bill in committee although only an association lobbyist testified against it.

"You are pitting two constitutional rights against one another," said Sen. A.G. Crowe, R-Slidell, referring to the right to bear arms and the right for an individual to control property.

"Safety is paramount," said Sen. Karen Carter Peterson, D-New Orleans, one of the proponents of the measure.

S&WB general counsel Brian Ferrara testified that the bill is needed because the Sewerage and Water Board is a state agency and a creature of the Legislature.

He said that last year, an employee went to his car, retrieved a firearm and shot a co-worker. He said the agency deals with sophisticated equipment like pumps and chemicals used to treat water, so guns should not enter those types of facilities.

"The local government must provide for the health and safety of the water supply of the city," and allowing guns to be taken to any board facility is a threat to that, Murray said.

ManInBlack

imported post

He said that last year, an employee went to his car, retrieved a firearm and shot a co-worker.

Right, and I'm sure he would have done no such thing if there had been a law against having the gun in his vehicle...

:banghead:

As to the statement about the presence of pumps and chemicals to treat water: I wasn't aware that a firearm, locked in a motor vehicle, can somehow taint drinking water yards away by its mere presence...sounds like some strange voodoo magic to me!

estcrh

imported post

ManInBlack wrote:
He said that last year, an employee went to his car, retrieved a firearm and shot a co-worker.

Right, and I'm sure he would have done no such thing if there had been a law against having the gun in his vehicle...

As to the statement about the presence of pumps and chemicals to treat water: I wasn't aware that a firearm, locked in a motor vehicle, can somehow taint drinking water yards away by its mere presence...sounds like some strange voodoo magic to me!
Were does it stop? I see people here saying...just go about your business...dont make waves and attract attention and everything will be alright...

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
ManInBlack wrote:

Were does it stop? I see people here saying...just go about your business...dont make waves and attract attention and everything will be alright...

*Sigh*. Since this is clearly directed at me, I'll reply.

While I most certainly have posts advocating responsible OCing while going about your normal daily business, that doesn't mean one shouldn't also be a responsible citizen and keep an eye on our public servants & what they're up to.

And please - when you write a reply and there's a little red line under the words you're typing, do everybody a favor and correct your spelling and/or grammar. That type of professionalism apparently wasn't a requirement for your city government job, but it might help folks here understand you better.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
estcrh wrote:
ManInBlack wrote:

*Sigh*.  Since this is clearly directed at me, I'll reply.

While I most certainly have posts advocating responsible OCing while going about your normal daily business, that doesn't mean one shouldn't also be a responsible citizen and keep an eye on our public servants & what they're up to.

And please - when you write a reply and there's a little red line under the words you're typing, do everybody a favor and correct your spelling and/or grammar.  That type of professionalism apparently wasn't a requirement for your city government job, but it might help folks here understand you better.
I actually WORKED for a living..I did not SIT behind a desk...so my ability to press a spell check button was not a huge requirement....I for one am glad you are taking such an interest in EVERYTHING I write..maybe you will learn something. Do not flatter yourself...there are plenty of people here who say.."just go about your business and your 2nd amend rights will be secure". At least you do know your general profile.