• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB1035 - restaurant ban "semi-" repeal passed in Senate

TFred

imported post

What does this mean:

02/03/09 Senate: Read third time and passed Senate (20-Y 19-N)
02/03/09 Senate: Reconsideration of passage agreed to by Senate (40-Y 0-N)
02/03/09 Senate: Passed Senate (24-Y 16-N)
Is this a "do over"? Looks like one more vote was cast the second time, and at least three were changed as well.

TFred

Neplusultra

imported post

The need to notify is sooo lame. As I mentioned before, should you get the person you notify to sign something so you can later prove that you did??? This may be a step in the right direction but still... Perhaps next year we can get it rewritten after they realize there haven't been mass alcohol fueled shootings across the state.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
So, Sen. Marsh voted yea but meant to vote nay. His verbal statement doesn't change his actual vote, correct?
Technically, no, but you can be sure he won't repeat it on the veto override vote. The bill is short 2 votes for getting a veto override and, if I recall correctly, 2 or 3 Dems switched their votes last year on the veto override to sustain the veto despite their prior support of the bill.

Elkad

imported post

Looks better to the masses. He can claim he voted for the bill or claim he voted against it, as needed.

Standard ploy, along with putting a rediculous amendment on a bill, voting against it, and then reintroducing the bill without the amendment and voting for it. You get to list either on your voting record, whichever is advantageous to you at the time.

I'm guessing the revote is the same thing. Vote against. Bill passes anyway. Have a revote and change yours, so you get to go in the "yes" box on the record.

TFred

imported post

Squid13 wrote:
So how long does the Gov. have to veto a bill? When does this actualy become law?
Long way yet. It still has to actually pass the Senate for real, then a similar bill must go through the same whole process in the House. If there are amendments or differences (remember, we are hoping that they remove the notification requirement), then it has to go through a joint House/Senate committee to resolve the differences. Once that is done, then it goes to the Governor's desk, where it will presumably be vetoed. Then back for overriding, but I don't know if that requires both chambers or just one.

Generally, new laws take effect on July 1, the year they are passed.

So far, there is only been one bill that has made it all the way through the process this year, SB 39, having to do with the threshold for reporting traffic accidents. Take a look at the LIS status page for that bill, and compare it to the LIS status page for this bill. You can see this one is just barely started. Very few bills take the exact same path of course, but you get the idea.

TFred