• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS blocks IL law making recording police illegal

carolina guy

carolina guy

Thanks for the note ... looks like I wasn't an idiot in another thread (that case is still pending)

http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/show...ent-rights-to-gather-information-from-the-gov

Right to privacy as a government employee? Ha ha .. does not trump the first amendment (for the most part)

:) Absolutely NOT an idiot!

I especially liked:
Well, you should seen the response when I plead that the first amendment allows us to gather information & the 2nd allows us to defend ourselves from the government then I should be able to know the weapons that the state has so I can get weapons to overpower them in the protection of my life, home, family, and property..

The state called this "disturbing" ... and the hearing officer's eyes got as wide as plates ...

FreeInAZ

An open letter to the Officials of Illinois

Dear officials,
I would like to take a moment to remind you of what it is you disgrace with your policies and laws on a daily basis. The rights you consistently try to strip from your honest citizens have been bought and paid for by hundred's of thousands of our fellow citizens. It is time for you to stop abusing what is not yours to abuse, the Constitution of the United States of America and the freedoms granted by it to the citizens of Illinois. When you harm them, you harm every citizen across this great nation and that will not stand, not now, not ever!

[video=youtube;usk81XVsE9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usk81XVsE9o&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sa
lly Daly, a spokeswoman for Alvarez, said a high court ruling in the case could have provided "prosecutors across Illinois with legal clarification and guidance with respect to the constitutionality and enforcement" of the statute.

What? The US Circuit Court of Appeals decision didn't clarify it enough? Didn't provide enough guidance? Somehow the concept of "No means no" seems to escape a wide range of people. :banghead:

stay safe.

boyscout399

Sa

What? The US Circuit Court of Appeals decision didn't clarify it enough? Didn't provide enough guidance? Somehow the concept of "No means no" seems to escape a wide range of people. :banghead:

stay safe.

No means no! (Unless it conflicts with what I want to do, then no means it hasn't been decided yet)

markand

So, if I understand correctly, since SCOTUS did NOT hear this case, but let the lower court decision stand, this only applies to the federal district in which the state of Illinois is located, but it does NOT apply across the country.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It applies as "settled law" in that District. All the other Districts are free to cite it as persuasive argument for finding the same thing in a case before them. Usually the fact that SCOTUS declined to hear the State's appeal is an indicator of how they feel about the matter.

Should a conflict between Diastricts arise, SCOTUS can pick a case and "settle" the law for everybody.

stay safe.