• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second Amendment Sanctuary Movement Spreads To Kentucky

Ghost1958

My biggest concern is that some of the people involved in this movement believe that these resolutions will protect them. The expectations are enormous. When they find out that the resolutions are meaningless, what will be their reaction? Will they think that the law has let them down and that this betrayal justifies violence. I am genuinely happy to see Ky. gun owners motivated to some action but this not going to solve anything. There is an argument to be made that big things can be built from small beginnings but this is less than small. The amount of hype involved in this is well beyond reasonable. There is also the danger that people feel like they have finished the job after passing these resolutions when, in fact, nothing has been done. The good side of this is that if you think these resolutions are a good thing, you should have no problem getting them passed. They are meaningless so why wouldn't your Fiscal Court pass one.

We would be much better off taking this momentum and using it to pass an enhanced preemption law, but surprisingly the people involved in this sanctuary movement are of the opinion that preemption is an antigun tactic that prevents their county from protecting them from state gun control laws.

They are a good thing in the sense they make a STRONG political statement if most counties pass a resolution that sends a message to frankfort.

But . Ordinances would be better.

I'm good with the level of preemption that the state has now and would oppose giv UK by it any additional power.

The state is overstepping its constitutional bounds as well already as the only power granted it is to prevent cc.

A point I made to Senator Hornback when he responded to me. Along with a few others.

gutshot II

They are a good thing in the sense they make a STRONG political statement if most counties pass a resolution that sends a message to frankfort.

But . Ordinances would be better.

I'm good with the level of preemption that the state has now and would oppose giv UK by it any additional power.

The state is overstepping its constitutional bounds as well already as the only power granted it is to prevent cc.

A point I made to Senator Hornback when he responded to me. Along with a few others.
How does preemption give any power to UK?
The fines for a public official could be higher and the Commonwealths Attorney could be directed to prosecute violations, instead of KC3 being the only organization to pursue actions to defend our gun rights on a meager budget based on donations. The fines could pay all the costs of the program.
That would be the end of local govs. regulating guns.

Last edited:

Ghost1958

How does preemption give any power to UK?
The fines for a public official could be higher and the Commonwealths Attorney could be directed to prosecute violations, instead of KC3 being the only organization to pursue actions to defend our gun rights on a meager budget based on donations. The fines could pay all the costs of the program.

[/B]
Typo sorry. Not UK . I meant the state of ky.
I would oppose giving the state anymore power over weapons than it has now.
And that level already violates the Ky constitution. Constitutionally the ONLY authority given to anyone to regulate weapons in this state is the power of the GA to prevent concealed carry. That's it.

They already over stepped that and will have to be put back in that box before willingly giving them or anyone else any authority over weapons .

The U.S. constitution doesn't allow even that.

As far as KC3. Justice centers have overstepped their bounds with where they put metal detectors in violation of state law for years.
I've mounted a couple of efforts to get that corrected. The state will not state what gives a county that authority or even that OC can be regulated. No response even when asked by the Sheriff.
And NO help coming from KC3 to correct that situation .

gutshot II

Typo sorry. Not UK . I meant the state of ky.
I would oppose giving the state anymore power over weapons than it has now.
And that level already violates the Ky constitution. Constitutionally the ONLY authority given to anyone to regulate weapons in this state is the power of the GA to prevent concealed carry. That's it.

They already over stepped that and will have to be put back in that box before willingly giving them or anyone else any authority over weapons .

The U.S. constitution doesn't allow even that.

As far as KC3. Justice centers have overstepped their bounds with where they put metal detectors in violation of state law for years.
I've mounted a couple of efforts to get that corrected. The state will not state what gives a county that authority or even that OC can be regulated. No response even when asked by the Sheriff.
And NO help coming from KC3 to correct that situation .
Even with your correction, I still can't make any sense out of your post. How does strengthening preemption give the state any more authority to regulate guns? Would weakening preemption take authority away from the state? Would you be in favor of that?

You seem to have a lot of "typos". Do you know the difference between a "typo" and just being wrong?

Ghost1958

Even with your correction, I still can't make any sense out of your post. How does strengthening preemption give the state any more authority to regulate guns? Would weakening preemption take authority away from the state? Would you be in favor of that?

You seem to have a lot of "typos". Do you know the difference between a "typo" and just being wrong?

I'm using a phone that figures it knows what I want to type more than me . And I dont catch it sometimes.

Yeah I know when I'm wrong. I know when your wrong too.

The state is the only entity in ky given ANY authority to regulate weapons. And it may only deny cc. Period .

Counties, cities, etc have no constitutional authority to regulate weapons in this state.

What is needed is for "gun advocates " to stop acting as if the state has more regulatory power than granted it by the state constitution and stop fighting their overreach as if they have any authority to do more than they are empowered to do.

Giving the state more power only bolsters their position to regulate.
All the preemption needed is what they have . Not allowing other gov entities authority they do not possess.

I see you ducked the justice center crime after it was brought up KC3 refuses to address it.
Not surprized.

gutshot II

I'm using a phone that figures it knows what I want to type more than me . And I dont catch it sometimes.

Yeah I know when I'm wrong. I know when your wrong too.

The state is the only entity in ky given ANY authority to regulate weapons. And it may only deny cc. Period .

Counties, cities, etc have no constitutional authority to regulate weapons in this state.

What is needed is for "gun advocates " to stop acting as if the state has more regulatory power than granted it by the state constitution and stop fighting their overreach as if they have any authority to do more than they are empowered to do.

Giving the state more power only bolsters their position to regulate.
All the preemption needed is what they have . Not allowing other gov entities authority they do not possess.

I see you ducked the justice center crime after it was brought up KC3 refuses to address it.
Not surprized.
Once again, how does preemption increase the power of state government? Can you give just one straight answer?

Ghost1958

Once again, how does preemption increase the power of state government? Can you give just one straight answer?

Your changing the subject " once again".

When you increase preemption power for the state you are simply passing more unconstitutional law that increases an authority that state gov , nor any other entity of ky gov , constitutionally do not have to start with.
Only the state is granted power to regulate weapons and then only to prevent concealed carry. That's it.
If the state is forced by gun advocates to honor ky constitutional limits as well as the other gov entities in the state there is no need for preemption at all.

I realize you have always discounted the Ky constitution as useless but many others do not share you view and work to bring the state back into compliance with it.

As it stands now the state wields unconstitutional powers over weapons it does not constitutionally have.

You answer as to why KC3 will not address the justice centers violating state statute?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This to and fro gets us nowhere. I could write an Ordinance in a day that would pass judicial scrutiny. The bottom line would be removal from office or position of profit for violating their oath of office.

Ghost1958

This to and fro gets us nowhere. I could write an Ordinance in a day that would pass judicial scrutiny. The bottom line would be removal from office or position of profit for violating their oath of office.

Would be great . We would have to have elections though to replace 99 percent of gov officials and LEO s .

I'm game though

gutshot II

Writing an ordinance is not the problem. The problem is getting politicians to vote for an ordinance that would remove them from office. You would be asking them to commit political suicide. When you can do that get back with us.

gutshot II

I did not say that I was worried about it. They will do what they want to do. The groups involved seem to be happy with meaningless resolutions that say nothing of any value and the politicians seem happy to give those to anybody that wants them. Everybody is happy. Government is responding to the will of the people. We should all be happy.

Ghost1958

I did not say that I was worried about it. They will do what they want to do. The groups involved seem to be happy with meaningless resolutions that say nothing of any value and the politicians seem happy to give those to anybody that wants them. Everybody is happy. Government is responding to the will of the people. We should all be happy.

They will do what they want to do as long as we ALLOW them to do what they want to do.

The U.S. and Ky constitutions, the supreme law of the nation and this damn state is on OUR side. Not theirs. This milksop moderate crap is what allowed them to violate their oaths with impunity to begin with.

gutshot II

Your changing the subject " once again".

When you increase preemption power for the state you are simply passing more unconstitutional law that increases an authority that state gov , nor any other entity of ky gov , constitutionally do not have to start with.
Only the state is granted power to regulate weapons and then only to prevent concealed carry. That's it.
If the state is forced by gun advocates to honor ky constitutional limits as well as the other gov entities in the state there is no need for preemption at all.

I realize you have always discounted the Ky constitution as useless but many others do not share you view and work to bring the state back into compliance with it.

As it stands now the state wields unconstitutional powers over weapons it does not constitutionally have.

You answer as to why KC3 will not address the justice centers violating state statute?
The power of the state over cities and counties is absolute. It has never been increased or decreased. The extent to which that power has been exerted has varied from time to time but that was always by choice of the state. The power of the state does not increase or decrease with how much they decided to use it. It is always there to be used when the state decides to use it. Restricting the authority of a city or county does not give the state more power or less power. The idea is laughable.

Ghost1958

The power of the state over cities and counties is absolute. It has never been increased or decreased. The extent to which that power has been exerted has varied from time to time but that was always by choice of the state. The power of the state does not increase or decrease with how much they decided to use it. It is always there to be used when the state decides to use it. Restricting the authority of a city or county does not give the state more power or less power. The idea is laughable.

What is laughable is that after three clear explanations that giving the state expanded preemption power is only increasing an authority THEY CONSTITUTIONALLY DO NOT HAVE TO REGULATE FIREARMS, you cannot grasp that explanation or concept.

Or the concept that counties make up the state and PEOPLE with God given rights make up those counties and the " state" cannot exist without the consent of either.

gutshot II

They will do what they want to do as long as we ALLOW them to do what they want to do.

The U.S. and Ky constitutions, the supreme law of the nation and this damn state is on OUR side. Not theirs. This milksop moderate crap is what allowed them to violate their oaths with impunity to begin with.
Well then, go ahead and stop them. Talking to me about it won't stop them. My county hasn't done a thing. I talked to my magistrate last week and he knew nothing about it. What's there for me to stop?
How is one of these "milksop moderate crap" resolutions a violation of anybody's oath or a violation of the federal or state constitution? They do nothing. Why is it a good thing to stop them from doing "nothing". I would like to keep my county government doing "nothing" because the "somethings" that they do are usually bad.

gutshot II

And your solution to that is to allow the local governments unfettered authority to regulate guns? They have already displayed a total disregard for the rights of the citizen and you think that should be continued. No thanks.

Ghost1958

And your solution to that is to allow the local governments unfettered authority to regulate guns? They have already displayed a total disregard for the rights of the citizen and you think that should be continued. No thanks.

Once more then I give up. Either you have NO reading comprehension or you purposefully act dumb because you have no argument.

Neither the counties or cities have any ky constitutional power to regulate weapons. At all.

The state only has authority to deny cc per the ky constitution. That's it. Nothing more.

Giving any authority to the state counties or cities to regulate guns is giving them power they DO NOT a d NEVER have had.
Except ky constitution gives the authority to deny cc to the state. Nothing more.

And the supreme law of the land, the United States constitution does not allow the ky state gov even that authority.

You want to enhance a state power it constitutionally DOES NOT HAVE.

gutshot II

They certainly have the authority to tell local government what they can and cannot do. Telling local governments that they can't ban guns does not increase the state power in any way, in fact since cities and counties are subdivisions of the state government they are allowing less power to be exercised.