• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serious Question: LVMPD + Youtube

Turbod'1

So, I recently stumbled across LVMPD YouTube site and noticed that it's updated frequently. I also noticed that comments and ratings are DISABLED for all their videos --in fact, the last comments made on their main page are (of like 4 total) 5 years old.

My question, and it may be stupid... since they represent the government (LVMPD not Google), isn't blocking comments and ratings an infringement on the 1st Amendment?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LasVegasPolice/discussion

Fuller Malarkey

I believe they do it under the guise of having a "custodial duty" to protect the assets of the government....

You'll find most police orientated Facebook pages are constantly monitored so they can control the direction of conversation to closer resemble a badge bunny chat room, glorifying the antics of the government sanctioned, equipped and trained commandos. As you might know, people just don't have the self restraint required to keep themselves from asking those oh-so-hard-to-answer questions, such as:

"Why did you shoot Mrs. Johnson's Yorkshire Terrier?"

"Why did you beat that deaf guy?"

"Why did that cop call my mother all those racist names when she was videoing them tase and arrest the neighbor for washing his car?"

I also believe social media is viewed as propaganda venues some police can exploit, and to do so efficiently, they need to dominate and control all activity, thoughts, conversation. A kind of "constitution free zone" if you will.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So, I recently stumbled across LVMPD YouTube site and noticed that it's updated frequently. I also noticed that comments and ratings are DISABLED for all their videos --in fact, the last comments made on their main page are (of like 4 total) 5 years old.

My question, and it may be stupid... since they represent the government (LVMPD not Google), isn't blocking comments and ratings an infringement on the 1st Amendment?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LasVegasPolice/discussion

Excellent question about 1st amendment rights !

Actually, no you have no right to post comments ... my congressman runs a youtube channel .. I complain all the time about not allowing comments ...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No, YouTube is private.

A better question is why does the government get to use its (our) resources to operate a propaganda channel on the Internet.

Primus

No, YouTube is private.

A better question is why does the government get to use its (our) resources to operate a propaganda channel on the Internet.

PDS use it for community outreach and info sharing. For example we use it to post photos of guys we are looking. A recent armed robbery suspect turned himself in partially because he saw the pressure we were putting on him. Also good way to publish community outreach programs.... charity events, blood drives, community meetings, etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Maverick9

PDS use it for community outreach and info sharing. For example we use it to post photos of guys we are looking. A recent armed robbery suspect turned himself in partially because he saw the pressure we were putting on him. Also good way to publish community outreach programs.... charity events, blood drives, community meetings, etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Photos of guys who are lookers?

You should consider posting a LEO 2014 calendar, everyone in sexy LEOpard print bikinis. Come on man, you know you want to!

jfrey123

I'm with the above, it's not an infringement because it's their content on a private website. We have the right to comment elsewhere, and they aren't chasing us down to silence us. 1st Amendment remains intact.