• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seriously??? Microstamping the firing pin??

carolina guy

source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...islation-may-lead-remington-colt-to-relocate/

Microstamping, or ballistic imprinting, is a patented process that uses laser technology to engrave a tiny marking of the make, model and serial number on the tip of a gun’s firing pin to allow an imprint of that information on spent cartridge cases. Supporters of the technology say it will be a “game changer,” allowing authorities to quickly identify the registered guns used in crimes. Opponents claim the process is costly, unreliable and may ultimately impact the local economies that heavily depend on the gun industry, including Ilion, N.Y., where Remington Arms maintains a factory, and Hartford, Conn., where Colt's manufacturing is headquartered.

Wow...so that VERY small % of gun crimes that can be traced to a NEW registered weapon...no chance that someone with ill-intent could either:

1) file the end of the firing pin slightly
2) pick-up spent brass
3) replace the firing pin

The anti-2A people just don't get it, do they?

MainelyGlock

source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...islation-may-lead-remington-colt-to-relocate/

Microstamping, or ballistic imprinting, is a patented process that uses laser technology to engrave a tiny marking of the make, model and serial number on the tip of a gun’s firing pin to allow an imprint of that information on spent cartridge cases. Supporters of the technology say it will be a “game changer,” allowing authorities to quickly identify the registered guns used in crimes. Opponents claim the process is costly, unreliable and may ultimately impact the local economies that heavily depend on the gun industry, including Ilion, N.Y., where Remington Arms maintains a factory, and Hartford, Conn., where Colt's manufacturing is headquartered.

Wow...so that VERY small % of gun crimes that can be traced to a NEW registered weapon...no chance that someone with ill-intent could either:

1) file the end of the firing pin slightly
2) pick-up spent brass
3) replace the firing pin

The anti-2A people just don't get it, do they?

Wow. Why not just put trackers/transponders in handguns like the UK? :rolleyes:

Sig229

These morons dont realize that most of the firearms used in violent crimes are stolen.
So the person tha the firing pin is registered under wouldn't have a clue about the crime when the police raid their house and shoot their dog.

SPOProds

This had been shot down in CT before and will be again, ask me how I know. NY on the other hand...who knows?

OC for ME

California tried this and it was proven that the patented tech did not work 100% of the time. California abandoned micro-stamping. I think CalGuns has a lengthy discussion about micro-stamping.

Is the technology better? Who knows.

acmariner99

Also, just fire a couple dozen rounds; even mild to moderate firing of the weapon will wear off the stamp rather quickly.

ldsgeek

Remington has threatened to leave Ilion, taking 1100 jobs, and Colt has threatened to leave Hartford (Florida is courting them now, and Colt is opening their first plant outside CT down there soon/by now). Why gun companies stay in such hostile states, other than infrastructure, is beyond me. Some employees would move (CT to FL, yes please) and other can be replaced, it's skilled labor but not rocket science.

Freedom1Man

A file or replacement firing pin would fix the problem sure enough.

I though some state tried to micro-stamp and register ammo (brass and bullet) at one time too. Oh and they were going to make it illegal to load your own too.