• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping a gun for repair UPS

killchain

imported post

I had to ship a revolver for repair today, and as far as I know UPS is the only service that will ship firearms.

So I take it down to their store here in Richland. I got sent to the distribution center in Kennewick (however, with a nicely put together box around my handgun case) so I was like "Okay, makes sense. They can't handle firearms here, I can work with that."

I get to the distribution center, and I tell the kid behind the counter that I need to ship a firearm. You would have thought I said, "My name is Muhammad Atta and this is a bomb," because he crapped a porcupine and ran to get his boss.

His boss informs me that I need to ship it next day air, which I'm still like, "Makes sense, they don't want it getting lost or stolen." So they have me fill out the paperwork, weigh everything, and then hit me with the fee.

$68. Sixty-eight dollars for a 2 1/2 pound package. And half of that weight was their box.

I don't believe UPS requires the package to be shipped next-day air, only a Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service.

Anyone know who's ear I can chew off about this crap, and UPS's official firearms shipping policy?

I'm pissed.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is policy:

Shipping Firearms

1.gif

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

• Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air[suP]®[/suP] Early A.M.[suP]®[/suP], UPS Next Day Air[suP]®[/suP], or UPS Next Day Air Saver[suP]®[/suP] services. (Note: UPS Express Critical[suP]SM[/suP] Service is not available for firearms).
  • UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
  • UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
  • Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
  • Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
  • UPS Returns[suP]SM[/suP] Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

1.gif

killchain

imported post

Let me rephrase my question... I was heated when I wrote it.

Where in state or federal law is it required that you have to do this, and who instituted it? And does anyone have the "district manager" or whatever they are's number?

I don't care if it's policy. I want to complain. That's ridiculous.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I've mailed guns twice and used Fed Ex. You have to go to certain ones, in Seattle you have to go to the one at SeaTac Airport. I sent them third day air or something for less than $30...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
I've mailed guns twice and used Fed Ex. You have to go to certain ones, in Seattle you have to go to the one at SeaTac Airport. I sent them third day air or something for less than $30...
  1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
  2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
  3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
  4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
  5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
  6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
  7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

killchain wrote:

Where in state or federal law is it required that you have to do this, and who instituted it?
You won't find it in any federal or state law. It's UPS policy, pure and simple. Apparently this is the only way they can absolutely guarantee that one of their employees won't steal it.

Use FedEx instead.

amlevin

imported post

Welcome to the UPS shipping department. If you are shipping a gun please go to the next counter, drop your drawers, and bend over.

One cure is to use a local gunsmith or if it is warranty, take it to the Dealer you bought it from. I have only returned ONE gun to the factory for repairs and will never again. I will only return the failed part (as I have done several times) if they need it for warranty. Usually, a call to the factory will result in them sending the appropriate part if they feel you are capable of replacing it. Otherwise they will refer you to a local "warranty repair station".

UPS just charges you a ton for no additional benefit.

brboyer

imported post

ed wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
Use FedEx instead.
Did you read my post above?

Perhaps he did, but are you stating that a non-licensee cannot ship a firearm to amanufacturer or other FFL (assumption from the OP)via Fed-Ex?

Both carriers required overnight shipping.
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

ed wrote:
  1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
  2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
  3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
  4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
  5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
  6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
  7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
You missed one.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

ed wrote:

That's all well and good, but I'm just telling you my experience. I declared they were firearms, I shipped them to FFLs, chose Adult Signature Required, then they asked how I wanted it shipped and I said the cheapest so they sent it third day air...
The place I sent it was called West Coast Guns or something so as to not "mark, label or identify the package as containing a firearm, I addressed it to West Coast Gnus. lol.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

sirpuma

imported post

Well, as a gunsmith, with a business, when I contacted the ATF about the requirements for an FFL they told me that while it isn't required, they prefer smiths to have a Class 07 (manufacturers license) in the event that the smith is required to actually make any of the certain parts that make a firearm a firearm. So, I have an FFL.