• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping Ammo to Mass?

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
I work for a small FFL in Virginia. We sold some ammo to a buyer in Mass,on a auction site. We have never run into this problem before. Is it legal to ship ammo to your state? We have noticed that alot of the larger companies will not do so. We would like to settle this before shipping. I have looked at the state site for Mass and really couldnt find an answer ( it is hazy at best). Any help you could give would be helpful.Thanks!!

shaun

Last edited:

Primus

I can tell you the angle I've heard guys explain it. I'm from MA and I frequently have to buy ammo and try to do it online when possible. I will not pretend to know the exact statute, but I can say guys have explained that there is a license/paperwork you have to file with the state to sell ammo here. That is why alot of guys won't do it over the internet. If you look at the statute that was just posted above this, the first line in it says you need a license to sell ammo. My assumption is that being out of state you can still get that license and sell to MA residents. I will ask some local guys and see if I can get a better "cite" for you.

snatale42

I work for a small FFL in Virginia. We sold some ammo to a buyer in Mass,on a auction site. We have never run into this problem before. Is it legal to ship ammo to your state? We have noticed that alot of the larger companies will not do so. We would like to settle this before shipping. I have looked at the state site for Mass and really couldnt find an answer ( it is hazy at best). Any help you could give would be helpful.Thanks!!

No, It's not Illegal to ship ammo to MA, there's a handful of companies that ship to MA regularly. Way back the AG at the time tried to make it so out of state companies shipping ammo into MA would have to get a lic from MA to do it. It didn't work but fear led many companies to simply stop assuming it was illegal to do, it's not. Most people won't give up their sources online when it comes to the company's that ship to MA. Prior to moving to VA I used a company that used to have you send a copy of your LTC so they'd have it on file. Not legally required but they felt it helped them. If you wouldn't mind could you PM me and let me know who you are? Got a LOT of friends looking for more places willing to sell to them. Any questions on MA feel free to ask.

buottem

Shipping to MA

Im new to the gun world and I live on an Island in MA. Getting Ammo is such a pain but i keep driving an hour and a half to get what I need. Can anyone please PM me or email me at buotte@me.com with some where that will ship to me... I just want me some.22 lr so damn hard to get

spt_1955

No, It's not Illegal to ship ammo to MA, there's a handful of companies that ship to MA regularly. Way back the AG at the time tried to make it so out of state companies shipping ammo into MA would have to get a lic from MA to do it. It didn't work but fear led many companies to simply stop assuming it was illegal to do, it's not. Most people won't give up their sources online when it comes to the company's that ship to MA. Prior to moving to VA I used a company that used to have you send a copy of your LTC so they'd have it on file. Not legally required but they felt it helped them. If you wouldn't mind could you PM me and let me know who you are? Got a LOT of friends looking for more places willing to sell to them. Any questions on MA feel free to ask.
It is not illegal to ship ammunition into MA, however many large stores will not do it because they have received letters from the Attorney Generals office citing MGL.XX.140.122b (previously referenced in this thread by Shaun). In 140.122B it states that in order to sell ammunition a license must be issued and "Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on. " Since the licenses are issued by the Police Chief with jurisdiction over the "address" the AG letter will state that only businesses with brick and mortar stores can sell in MA.

Last edited: