• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Short notice on another utah permit class at elkhorn airport...

Outdoorsman1

Change Info

NOT ELKHORN AIRPORT... EAST TROY AIRPORT... MY MISTAKE....

Ok I know this is short notice but there will be another Utah Permit Class in the same location and taught by the same instuctor (Yellow Cat with the M-4)...TONORROW MORNING starting at 10:00 ... I will be there and hope to get some more to show on such late notice..... He has study material for six.....

Ask here for additional material needed...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

MKEgal

Same location as last time: East Troy Municipal Airport.
I-43 & SR 20
Meet at the gate just before 10AM.

There will also be an NRA Basic Pistol course, including range time.
Contact Jim TONIGHT so he knows to bring the student packets.

Per both UT & NRA rules, no live ammo in the classroom.

Since most of us are a bit beyond the basic class, as an extra treat we'll probably get to work on things from the personal protection classes, which are more real-world & actually apply to self-defense.

MKEgal

Sorry for so many posts, but the new system won't let me edit... :uhoh:

Be sure to bring a hat & safety gear for the range (& of course, your pistol & ammo),
& since it's likely to be hot again bring plenty of water too.
Planning on going to a local restaurant for lunch.

Outdoorsman1

Yep, 9:30pm is a bit late...

Thanks though. I would have liked to come down for it...

Yea... real late.... We just started putting this together yesterday, and finalized when I posted... going to contact the instructor (later) and see if it is stll a go with just 1 student.... me.

That is if nodody else can make it..

Outdoorsman1

MKEgal

Actually, 2 people that I know about, including you.
More may have contacted Jim directly.
And yes, he will teach just 2.

Probably takes less time, students get more individual attention, & once he's satisfied w/ basic skills there's more time/attention for advanced stuff.
:monkey :banana:

Right now it's looking overcast, which would be nice, as long as it doesn't actually rain.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Actually, 2 people that I know about, including you.
More may have contacted Jim directly.
And yes, he will teach just 2.

Probably takes less time, students get more individual attention, & once he's satisfied w/ basic skills there's more time/attention for advanced stuff.
:monkey :banana:

Right now it's looking overcast, which would be nice, as long as it doesn't actually rain.

Ok, sounds good. I will be there (early..lol)

Are you going to ba able to make it...??

Outdoorsman1

Jason in WI

Just seen the post, wish I would have seen it earlier (its 10:00 now). I have two or three people that could've used the Utah class.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

oak1971

I might be interested in his Utah class someday. I don't need any training for WI as I already meet the requirements under ACT 35 to get a permission slip. I would like to see how reciprocity shakes out before doing any out of state permits.

Outdoorsman1

Report On Today's Classes......

Ok back home after a long day in classes and at the range... It was all excellent. The Yelow Cat with the M-4 was all about professionalisum and making sure we got trained right. It was myself and Cobra... taking the classes and MKEgal was their in the role of assistant instuctor as she is a graduate of a recent NRA handgun instuctor course. She alo did an excellent job. I took both the Basic Handgun course (to qualify come permit time) as well as the Utah C.C. Course. I will be getting the Utah permit for repocisity (?) in Minnesota and Michigan and maybe Florida (If I can ever make it down the to visit my son).

After the classes we went to the range and spent a couple of hours completing the range portion of the course as well as practing some "Double Taps" (not an offcial part of the course). When I first started shooting I was not hitting center target and the "Yellow Cat" (instructor) offered me some constuctive advice with a few tips on proper sighting and it did wonders for my accuracy. Before I left I was regualrly hitting center target with groups of 9-10 rounds in a 4 - 5 inch pattern. I know... not as good as some of you but good for me and now dedicated to even more practice.

All in all it was a great day... Saved some money over other instuctors class fee's (discount for members), got in some excellent range time, got my Basic Handgun Certificate, and got my application for the Utah Permit signed and stamped by the instructor. Seems like I will be good to go come Nov. 1

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

MKEgal

I will be getting the Utah permit for repocisity (?) in Minnesota and Michigan and maybe Florida
Before you travel, read state info on www.handgunlaw.us and maybe even order the most up-to-date edition of the gun law book. (Traveller's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the 50 States.) I'm going to get a 2012 edition.

Here it's $14 (don't know about shipping): http://www.gunlawguide.com/
Amazon has it starting @ $12.40 (shipping is about another $4):
http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Gui...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311481488&sr=1-3

UT will cover you for Minnesota even if WI doesn't,
but would only be good for OC in Michigan, since they only recognize home-state permits for cc.

FL only recognizes home-state permits or its own permit (available to non-residents), & the basic course you took today will qualify as training for FL.

Outdoorsman1

UT will cover you for Minnesota even if WI doesn't,

One of the reasons I took the Utah Permit Class. Even though I have not been to Minnesota in about 5 years, sometimes when cruising up and down the Mississippi River I stop on the Minnesota (and Iowa) side.

but would only be good for OC in Michigan, since they only recognize home-state permits for cc.

As I am primarily an "Open Carrier" and plan on continuing to open carry after I get the WI Permit. If I ever mae it back to MI (The U.P. for fishing and camping), I would be open carrying and REAL carefull not to forget and let my jacket cover my sidearm.

FL only recognizes home-state permits or its own permit (available to non-residents), & the basic course you took today will qualify as training for FL.

As my son has been living in Florida for maybe 12 yrs. now and I have not yet been able to make it down to visit (he comes here), Florida is not really a concern. If I were to eve rmake it down there, as the class today "will qualify as training for FL.", does anybody know how I would go about getting it...????

Thanks again MKEgal for your all help...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

jpm84092

Fl Permit

Go to the FL Dept of Agriculture website and request the FL Application kit. It will come to you in the mail. You home-study FL law. Your NRA Pistol Course Certificate is proof of your FL firearms familiarity and marksmanship qualification training. Then you send in the paperwork and wait for the FL Permit. The UT permit is less than 1/2 the FL application fee.

In the mean time, a UT permit gets you into MN.

JIM

Outdoorsman1

Finaly got around to getting the fingerprints and photo required with the Utah Permit application filled everything out and.....MAILED IT TODAY.....:banana: :banana: :banana: :monkey :monkey:D

Now I have two clocks to watch.... Clock until Nov. 1st and now clock until my Utah Permit arrives....

Outdoorsman1

jpm84092

Finaly got around to getting the fingerprints and photo required with the Utah Permit application filled everything out and.....MAILED IT TODAY.....:banana: :banana: :banana: :monkey :monkey:D

Now I have two clocks to watch.... Clock until Nov. 1st and now clock until my Utah Permit arrives....

Outdoorsman1

My bet is that your UT permit will arrive before you even have a chance to apply for the WI permit. Then, you can choose what method of training you will use to comply with WI Law - your valid UT permit - or your NRA Pistol Course Certificate. For best results, submit both.

Outdoorsman1

My bet is that your UT permit will arrive before you even have a chance to apply for the WI permit. Then, you can choose what method of training you will use to comply with WI Law - your valid UT permit - or your NRA Pistol Course Certificate. For best results, submit both.

Yea, I am hoping that Utah arrives before Nov. 1, but if not, like you said, I should be good to go with the NRA Certificate... and if not then way back in the beguining I took that online coruse offered by the Maryland Police Trannig Commission.... still waiting for that Certificate to arrive in the mail....:lol: ( as if itis ever going to arrive)...:lol:

Today, I was also going to include a copy of my certificate of completion of "That Other" Utah Permit Class, but you had already filled in and stamped my actual applicaton I just sent that...

Come time to apply for the WI permit either way I am good to go.... :banana:

Outdoorsman1`

MKEgal

Outdoorsman1 said:
way back in the beguining I took that online coruse offered by the Maryland Police Trannig Commission... still waiting for that Certificate to arrive in the mail...:lol: ( as if itis ever going to arrive)...
I hope you're joking... sometimes it's hard to tell online.
When you finished the MD course, you had the option to print your certificate (can also save the PDF).
If you didn't do that, you'd have to go through it again.
Don't see why you would, since you have better training now, but you could.

Outdoorsman1

I hope you're joking... sometimes it's hard to tell online.
When you finished the MD course, you had the option to print your certificate (can also save the PDF).
If you didn't do that, you'd have to go through it again.
Don't see why you would, since you have better training now, but you could.

I was sorta joking and not joking.... I did print out the certificate, and the card(s).... If I remember, I thought I had to send in something to recieve tha actual certificate in the mail...???

I could be wrong.

Outdoorsman1

So, do you wanna go check out STATE FAIR with me...????

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/126828998.html

Now THAT's joking....lol