• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I open carry or wait?

Curtiseliff

I'm really on the fence here guys, I want to start carrying yet I dont have my concealed carry license yet (im looking into getting it as soon as possible), however I live in Delaware and open carry is legal without a licence. Should I open carry while I'm in the process of getting my concealed carry license or wait to start carrying for when I can conceal? In my opinion I feel it's better to open carry and have it and not need it than need it and not have it. What do you guys think?

WalkingWolf

Not sure of the OC climate in DE, we don't get a lot of posters from that state. I OC almost everyday, but it is normal in NC to see people OCing.

solus

Welcome to the forum and bringing that great mentality with you regarding open carry is the preferred method to carry.

As WW noted, only a few members are from DE so not a lot of informational history from your area is readily available per se.

That stated, handgunlaw.us has a blurp on open carry which could/may/would cause you some interesting conversations with LEs & judicial issues w/o a permit, specifically, quote:

Open Carry is legal in Delaware but from all I can find out not a common practice. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle. Delaware has preemption but some Cities and Counties that had Laws/Ordinances concerning the carrying of firearms were grandfathered when preemption was passed. It is up to you to know the local Laws/Ordinances. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18. Unquote.

Apparently, leaving your handgun out in the open is an acceptable practice while driving. Of course, since OC’g isn’t a common practice, the nice LEs who stopped you might wet themselves and pucker their underware when they initially get to your vehicle and ‘peek’ inside. Their conversational tone on the reason they stopped you also might change a bit!

Speaking strictly for myself, that small tidbit of handgunlaw.us information, besides the vehicle nonsense, but also the city/county grandfathered in statutory BS; coupled with long time mantra of not wanting to spend $$$ to judically defend myself over some nice LE’s misinterpretation [read bias] on my SD OC carrying, might, just might, convince me to refrain from carrying until my DE privilege permit/license is safely in my wallet!

Again welcome to the forum, and maybe a fat, bearded, red suited gentleman will put the privilege permt/license in that stockin’ you hung with such care for the upcoming holidays!

Enjoy your holiday w/family and friends!

B

Bikenut

I am a daily open carrier in Michigan but because I am not familiar with Delaware law(s) I must give a word or 3 of caution.

Please take the time to be aware of all the laws concerning open carry in Delaware. And search for law(s) outside of just gun law(s) and understand hunting law(s), trespass law(s), and transport law(s). For instance some States have laws that require specific methods of transporting a pistol for those who don't have a carry permit. And please be careful in the wording of the law(s) because they might not mention the word "carry(ing)" but might use the word "possess" and since one must "possess" in order to "carry" then that law applies.

Be aware that running afoul of any law while open carrying as you wait to get your carry permit could end up preventing you from getting a carry permit.

I wish you well.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Even though Delaware has preemption, some Cities and Counties that had Laws/Ordinances concerning the carrying of firearms were grandfathered when preemption was passed. That is scary. Even more of a reason to know the local laws by chapter and verse.

Also, placing in your profile that you are from Delaware would be helpful.

solus

I have a Taurus pt111 9mm and a Bersa .380 but I'd probably carry the Taurus. I have once before but after reading about the increasing crimes in my area I'm thinking more and more about carrying everyday

Nice handgun to carry for SD and of course you should get in the habit of carrying as soon as you are dressed, if nothing else for principle!

Michael48632

I'm really on the fence here guys, I want to start carrying yet I dont have my concealed carry license yet (im looking into getting it as soon as possible), however I live in Delaware and open carry is legal without a licence. Should I open carry while I'm in the process of getting my concealed carry license or wait to start carrying for when I can conceal? In my opinion I feel it's better to open carry and have it and not need it than need it and not have it. What do you guys think?
Start open carrying around your neighborhood to get comfortable with it then go further out till it feels natural for you .

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm really on the fence here guys, I want to start carrying yet I dont have my concealed carry license yet (im looking into getting it as soon as possible), however I live in Delaware and open carry is legal without a licence. ...
Welcome to OCDO!

We hope you stick around, learn, and safely open carry wherever it is legal - solo or otherwise.

gutshot II

My sister lives in Rehoboth Beach. I have open carried there on several of my visits the see her. This is the epicenter of liberal anti-gun bias. I have been asked to leave a few stores, but never had a problem with law enforcement. Good luck.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My sister lives in Rehoboth Beach. I have open carried there on several of my visits the see her. This is the epicenter of liberal anti-gun bias. I have been asked to leave a few stores, but never had a problem with law enforcement. Good luck.
I'm sure the stores didn't ask you to leave because of your gun.