• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder Holsters without a CHL?

ManInBlack

In Idaho, I occasionally carry my 1911 openly in a black leather shoulder holster. I would like to do the same in Oregon, especially when driving through the state. I do not possess an Oregon CHL. According to ORS 166.250, "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section." Does anyone have any experience open carrying in something other than a "belt holster," without a CHL (this would also, I imagine, encompass thigh rigs and IWB holsters), or can point me to relevant case law? I looked at State v. Fisher, but it doesn't really apply. Thanks in advance for any help!

Dogbait

In Idaho, I occasionally carry my 1911 openly in a black leather shoulder holster. I would like to do the same in Oregon, especially when driving through the state. I do not possess an Oregon CHL. According to ORS 166.250, "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section." Does anyone have any experience open carrying in something other than a "belt holster," without a CHL (this would also, I imagine, encompass thigh rigs and IWB holsters), or can point me to relevant case law? I looked at State v. Fisher, but it doesn't really apply. Thanks in advance for any help!

You can OC in a shoulder holster, just be careful of the loaded OC banned cities, since you don't have a permit.

Edit: since you're out that way stop im grant county and apply for a non resident permit :)

Sent from my HTC EVO

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I would say that a vertical shoulder holster where the end of the holster has a strap that loops onto the belt would be 'attached to a belt'. (In addition the firearm is pointed at the ground.)

A horizontal shoulder holster rig, I would say is...how shall I put this...just stupid on several levels. (lol).

Jackass4.jpg

1. See picture. Is there a reason they call it a jackassrig?
2. Too much give across the back prevents a crisp draw.
3. A LEO has a pretty good case for saying 'it's concealed', because 90% of your firearm is hiding under your arm (depending on your level of corpulence).
(Unless the vertical rig has a crisp draw, that's a problem also.)

hermannr

The reason there is a specific reference to a belt holster is, if on your right hip, the weapon would not be "readily visible" from the left side, or V/V. A shoulder holster sould be just as "readily visible" as a belt holster, or even more so, at least if you do not have a jacket on.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would say that a vertical shoulder holster where the end of the holster has a strap that loops onto the belt would be 'attached to a belt'. (In addition the firearm is pointed at the ground.)

A horizontal shoulder holster rig, I would say is...how shall I put this...just stupid on several levels. (lol).

View attachment 7688

1. See picture. Is there a reason they call it a jackassrig?
2. Too much give across the back prevents a crisp draw.
3. A LEO has a pretty good case for saying 'it's concealed', because 90% of your firearm is hiding under your arm (depending on your level of corpulence).
(Unless the vertical rig has a crisp draw, that's a problem also.)

Statute law or case law site please that would support this contention that a properly holstered handgun is concealed when carried in an under-the-arm shoulder rig.