• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P239 v. SF XD9 compact

Mr H

imported post

Just looking for opinions.

I have a P239 SAS I like... a lot...

Just wondering if anyone thinks there is a benefit to the XD9 over the Sig, whether it be for OC or CC.

I like the idea of the palm safety on the Springfield when it comes to CC, but other than that, I see no real difference (not having fired the XD yet) between the two.

midnight61

imported post

I have the XD9sc and very happy with it after 2000+ problem free rds. I haven't fired the P239 SAS so the only difference I can tell you is the XD has a 13rd & 16rd magazines. I believe the P239 is 8 rds at 9mm so you're looking at 5 extra rds on the small magazine & twice as many with the extended mag.

45acpForMe

imported post

Mr H wrote:
Just looking for opinions.

I have a P239 SAS I like... a lot...

Just wondering if anyone thinks there is a benefit to the XD9 over the Sig, whether it be for OC or CC.

I like the idea of the palm safety on the Springfield when it comes to CC, but other than that, I see no real difference (not having fired the XD yet) between the two.

The only benefit I can think of would be capacity. The SIG is a fine gun as is the XD. It is personal preference mostly that attract us to a particular gun. Try to shoot the XD before buying. I shot my friends and it felt OK, but I am not a big fan of the backstrap safety because of how high the grip it is. If it were lower like a 1911 I wouldn't mind it as much. My friend and his fiancee love their little XD.

I think the SIG is thinner so it may be easier to conceal but heck I can conceal a government size 1911 if I want. :)

My recommendation (after shooting it if possible) is have both. You can have more than one gun and different guns allow you to choose the best one for each situation.

goalseter88

imported post

as far as quality, i say they be about the same. like others have said it seems like the only difference is the ammo amount and the sig would be thinner? i dont know much about that specific sig but they said it carries only 8 rounds so i take it is a single stack and would make it a thinner gun then a double stack. i dont have an xd9mm but i got a xd40 and love it, never have had a jam or any problems. i carry a full size xd40 and i can OC or CCW without any real discomfort.

but what hasnt been mentioned if you like a bigger mag compacity is mabye instead of the xd, look into the XDm 9mm. i not sure your wanting full size or compact. but the full size one carries 19+1 rounds and i dont know about the compact version mag size but i bet yah its more then 8 rounds. but yah if it only carries 8 in the sig i really look into a double stack for a carry weapon. and use the sig for a range gun.

marrero jeff

imported post

well, while i've shot the xd and xdm (fullsize) and liked both quite a bit, i still find sig makes a better weapon, but that just might be bias. i love the 239. the magazine capacity doesnt bother me too much, just carry a couple extra mags. however, like .45acp said, get both, you'll have more choices.

Mr H

imported post

Thanks to all...

One thing that I like and dislike about the Sig is the single-stack thinness. Makes for a slim profile, for sure, even with the extra mag pouch... and I sure hope never to need 13-round capability!!

But, the overall profile and feel of the XD9sc intrigues me. I'll be looking to try one, for sure.

Will let you know what I find out.

midnight61

imported post

I just got my XD9sc back from the shop getting Trijicon night sights installed (green front, orange rear) and the pearce grips on the small mag so now it's my carry gun.
I also have an XDM9 I use for steel plate shooting. The big draw to the XD line for me was the price. You can get an XDsc for well under $500 new now (I paid $529 for mine last year) and I think you'll love it once you shoot it.
However, I would love to own a Sig besides my present Mosquito. Nothing that time and money can't solve.