• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sigh, all the training in the world sometimes just doesn't help

solus

A man accidentally shot and killed himself while getting out of his car in a parking lot in Raleigh Wednesday morning, police said.According to police, officers responded to a parking lot at 6500 Creedmoor Road in connection with a “Code Blue” call concerning an adult male around 8 a.m. Code Blue is the code generally used when a subject is believed to be deceased or in immediate need of resuscitation.
The man died from an accidentally self-inflicted gunshot wound he suffered as he was exiting his car, police said.
Police did not release the man’s name, but did say he was 44 years old.
unquote http://wncn.com/2017/01/11/man-acci...-himself-while-getting-out-of-car-in-raleigh/

of course it was an accidental shooting otherwise it would be a completed suicide...no, wouldn't report it that way to save the shame and stigma...

ipse

solus

could be worse...
One person sustained non-life threatening injuries during a Tuesday evening shooting in Raleigh. Raleigh police said officers responded to an Exxon store near the intersection of New Hope Church Road and Atlantic Avenue in connection with a reported gunshot wound just after 6:30 p.m. Upon arrival, officers found a man with gunshot wounds to his legs. The man was taken to WakeMed for treatment. Authorities said the shooting did not take place at the Exxon and the man arrived there after being shot. unquote http://www.wral.com/shooting-victim-found-at-raleigh-gas-station/16422800/

solus

More to the point, remember this state is OC legal w/o training..

ya know...i'll take that as a condition for our state's citizens > 18yo, to be able to OC...w/o any, none, privilege requirement!

if mem serves...aren't you one of the ones who poo paw me when I recommend folk take a basic NRA firearm course prior to strapping on their new pistol...

ipse

Wstar425

Humor me just a little bit and lay out a couple of scenarios exactly how one might go about shooting oneself in the head, getting out of a car. Not to be callous, but that story barely qualified as reporting.i

I don't want to take any chances, I get out of a lot of cars. Maybe I should say I get out of cars a lot.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

RALEIGH (WTVD) --
The Raleigh Police Department says a 44-year-old man has died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while getting out of a car in the 6500 block of Creedmoor Road Wednesday morning.
You gotta wonder how that happened, was he holding the gun up to his ear to see if he could hear bullets rattling around or was he looking down the barrel to see it it was loaded?

Maybe he was picking it up from the seat to put in a holster and instead of pointing it at the ground he pointed it towards his head so he wouldn't blow his twigs'n'berries off?

eric1668

A man accidentally shot and killed himself while getting out of his car in a parking lot in Raleigh Wednesday morning, police said.According to police, officers responded to a parking lot at 6500 Creedmoor Road in connection with a “Code Blue” call concerning an adult male around 8 a.m. Code Blue is the code generally used when a subject is believed to be deceased or in immediate need of resuscitation.
The man died from an accidentally self-inflicted gunshot wound he suffered as he was exiting his car, police said.
Police did not release the man’s name, but did say he was 44 years old.
unquote http://wncn.com/2017/01/11/man-acci...-himself-while-getting-out-of-car-in-raleigh/

of course it was an accidental shooting otherwise it would be a completed suicide...no, wouldn't report it that way to save the shame and stigma...

ipse
Drove by there this morning. Wondered what was going on. Accidental in the head???

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
th

Back to the drawing board.....

Firearms Iinstuctor

ipse

Having investigated and help investigate several of these type of accidental shootings. If the deceased does not leave a note or other indicators of suicide determining it was a suicide can be hard.

The investigator can think it the coroner can speculate with out good solid proof accidental it becomes for what ever reason.

Good bad or other wise.

CDT COX

Very cynical postings in this thread. He was an avid shooter and had a very rare mishap that cost him his life.

His firearm was in his bag and discharged when he threw it over his shoulder(to put the bag on) while exiting his vehicle. Must have been an older revolver or hammer fired semi.

Yes, I know he shouldn't have had a firearm loaded in a bag like that.

IPSE.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Very cynical postings in this thread. He was an avid shooter and had a very rare mishap that cost him his life.

His firearm was in his bag and discharged when he threw it over his shoulder(to put the bag on) while exiting his vehicle. Must have been an older revolver or hammer fired semi.

IPSE.

That was not originally in the news. But I don't know any modern firearm without a transfer bar safety(revolver), or a safety on hammer fired firearms. It is sad that carelessness cost him his life, but it was careless. An easy mistake to avoid.

solus

IPSE.

hummm, ya know cdt cox, i personally searched high and low, copied your post and re-read it as well as the two cited news articles backwards to assure i didn't miss where the victim 'must have' hyperbole information you just posted about the victim being an avid shooter, where the firearm was located, type of firearm, nor the coup de grace tidbit about the discharge occurred from slinging 'the bag' over their shoulder, might have come from to post here!

if i was cynical before...guess what...am now

really...

ipse

CDT COX

That was not originally in the news. But I don't know any modern firearm without a transfer bar safety(revolver), or a safety on hammer fired firearms. It is sad that carelessness cost him his life, but it was careless. An easy mistake to avoid.

Which is why I said "older" revolver. Think single action or something like this: https://michadsshootingbench.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/dscn1574.jpg What happens when you bump those hammers with a primer in the way? Exactly.

WalkingWolf

Which is why I said "older" revolver. Think single action or something like this: https://michadsshootingbench.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/dscn1574.jpg What happens when you bump those hammers with a primer in the way? Exactly.

It would have to be a very old revolver, my Colt Police Positive was manufactured 1911, and it has a hammer safety. And it takes a good amount of force to set off a primer, a slight bump is not going to do it. A 1911 FP does not rest on the primer in condition two, and in condition one the sear is blocked. If knocked off of the sear the hammer stops on the half cock, and the safety is notched to stop the hammer from reaching the primer.

S&W post WW2 incorporated a hammer block safety that blocked the hammer from striking a primer without the trigger fully pulled. From 1905 to post war the S&W revolver used a passive safety, the rebound slide was designed to block the hammer unless the trigger was pulled. With this system if the hammer broke the gun could fire, otherwise it was unable to go forward unless the rebound was out of the way.

Fifthchangelock.jpg

Notice where the hammer is touching the raised portion of the rebound slide. It would take a very, very, very hard blow to break the hammer. I doubt that happened just from a bag being thrown over a person's back.

Last edited:

CDT COX

It would have to be a very old revolver, my Colt Police Positive was manufactured 1911, and it has a hammer safety. And it takes a good amount of force to set off a primer, a slight bump is not going to do it. A 1911 FP does not rest on the primer in condition two, and in condition one the sear is blocked. If knocked off of the sear the hammer stops on the half cock, and the safety is notched to stop the hammer from reaching the primer.

This couldn't have happened because of safeties.
A safety is a mechanical device that can fail so you shouldn't rely on it.

Pick one.

Maverick9

Regardless of training opportunities, experience, avidity, care, the truth is most of 'us' mis-calculate the risk with regard to many things.

Air travel
Handgun use/need
Risks in the home, vs outside the home (specifically Home intrusions, invasions, burglary, vs mugging, car jacking, being in a store that's robbed.

Is there a positive correlation between training and ND or AD? Probably not. Careless people are going to be careless.

People who get a firearm, no training and realize they don't really know how to use it, usually end up locking it up or stashing it in a drawer and it's forgotten, I think. (a guess for the sake of argument).

On the other end, nobody mandates training for nail guns, chainsaws, driving cars, wood chippers and a whole host of pretty dangerous technology.

This was an 'accident' just like those kinds where someone steps off a cliff walking backwards doing a selfie. No need to conflate it.

WalkingWolf

This couldn't have happened because of safeties.
A safety is a mechanical device that can fail so you shouldn't rely on it.

Pick one.

On a 1911 even if a safety fails if it is on the hammer cannot strike the firing pin. The hammer has a half round cut where the safety is, and if it goes forward it stops the hammer. JMB knew what he was doing when he designed the 1911.

wb308-untitled22.jpg

If the sear fails the hammer cut will contact the sear block, and stop the hammer before it can reach the firing pin.

328D1FDD-6E47-4CC3-8BC1-FA6DA14EC8DF_zpso0fdvg0f.png

This is a better image on a cut away 1911, the red is the safety cam that is in the hammer cut.

Last edited: