• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Signs promoting Open Carry - which is best?

Which of these sayings are good for signs?

• Open Carry Isn't Scary

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Support the 2nd Amendment

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Support Constitutional Carry

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Repeal Texas' Unconstitutional Handgun Restrictions

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Bearing Isn't Brandishing

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • They Can't Legislate Your Rights Away

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Even Sticks And Stones May Break Your Bones But Freedom Never Hurt You

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

stealthyeliminator

I don't know why I put this in the social lounge. Grapeshot, please move to whichever forum is more appropriate. Please don't move to Texas subforum though, you can easily replace "Texas" with any state that lacks constitutional carry.

stealthyeliminator

Thanks. I need to pick 4-5 phrases to make some signs. Hopefully I can get some good feedback and suggestions.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Open Carry Isn't Scary - it shouldn't be, but to some it is. that makes this less than optimal

Support the 2nd Amendment - nice, bland, not controversial. heck, even anti-gunners support it

Support Constitutional Carry - will anybody not a member of the choir know what this means?

Repeal Texas' Unconstitutional Handgun Restrictions - prove they are unconstitutional, as opposed to being something you don't like

Bearing Isn't Brandishing - again, lots of folks not in the choir may not understand this

They Can't Legislate Your Rights Away - but you just said (no Texas OC) that they have already done that. make up your mind

Even Sticks And Stones May Break Your Bones But Freedom Never Hurt You - cute. meaningless. how does it relate to bearing arms either OC or CC?

I apologize if I'm coming across as a Debby Downer, but propaganda (not PR) has some very basic "rules". Winning hearts and minds is not done by trying to logically change peoples' minds, but by appealing to their base emotions. That's why "It's for the children!" works.

Not that these are the most elegant, but as examples I offer

Open Carry - it does not sneak up on you

Waiting for the cops to arrive - the most horrifying 7 minutes you will ever spend

Harsh words do not stop someone trying to kill your daughter at 2 AM

A gun - when you absolutely positively have to defend your life right now

Visualize your slogan on a bumper sticker passing you in the next lane over - too many words means letters are too small means it can't/won't be read. The days of posters slapped up on walls seems to be over, but make a good .jpeg or the like and attach it everywhere you have a cyber contact.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

I guess I should have clarified, signs to be carried on open carry walks. So the context is a group openly carrying firearms, flags and signs along the side of a roadway.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I guess I should have clarified, signs to be carried on open carry walks. So the context is a group openly carrying firearms, flags and signs along the side of a roadway.

You still want "bumper sticker" wording: clear meaning, short, and catchy phrasing.

Have you considered carrying a trash bag and picking up litter as you go along? Several OC litter collections have made the press with positive impact. In some places you can even get the local/state highway folks to give you trash bags, safety vests, and gloves. A possible sign at the back end, before motorists get up to the main body: X City/County Open Carry - Making Roads Cleaner and Safer. (Let them take that "safer" any way they want to.)

If your local noise ordinances will not get anybody in trouble, try "Honk if you <heart> personal safety". Another possibility includes "Crime Free Zone - Guess Why". If there will be kids along you can use "It's for the Children - Keeping Them Safe From Crime".

Just hit me - "Open Carry - I've Got Nothing to Hide".

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

Yeah I agree, shorter, catchy messages are better.. Bigger letters and easier to read driving by.

Re: trash pickup, several OCT chapters incl. mine have participated in adopt a highway. They actually put up a perm. sign at each end of the adopted section with your org name on it. I really hate litter so for me it's kind of a double win.

The Truth

SUPPORT CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY is my choice. I think those are terms that should become mainstream, so the only way to do that is to flaunt the phrasing for those who do not know what it means to start talking about it. Awareness comes first usually, then education based on curiosity or just for the sake of education.

Maybe have a couple signs concisely defining CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY or something if that's what you're worried about.

mdak06

I agree with skidmark's concerns re: your proposed suggestions. I'm not even really a fan of the 2nd amendment one, since some interpret it (wrongly) as "only armed while in a militia and/or the National Guard" ... so unfortunately that isn't as clear as I'd want either.

I'll offer up these for your consideration ... while they aren't all necessarily OC specific, hopefully they'll be useful:

"police have no duty to protect my children, but I do"

"waiting for police will not stop a rape, but my gun will" (only women should hold this sign)

"open carry = criminal deterrence"

"gun laws don't stop criminals"

"empower women to protect themselves"

"thugs prefer gun-free zones"

Hope some of these help.

WalkingWolf

The problem with "support the second amendment" is so many people have no idea what the second amendment is. They think it is permit schemes.

My Choice "Constitutional carry is the second amendment"

Last edited:

mdak06

The problem with "support the second amendment" is so many people have no idea what the second amendment is. They think it is permit schemes.

Very true.

"Not be infringed" does not mean "criminalized unless you get a government permission slip."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
3 spam posts in a row reported

stay safe.

--Mod note, they be gone now.--

Last edited by a moderator:

stealthyeliminator

I really like that one. I may have to buy another poster board just for that.

Rusty Young Man

For ladies to carry:

I Open Carry because I can't fight off young thugs anymore (should be carried by "Granny Rambo" ladies:))
My Open Carry tells criminals I am NOT an easy target.
My Open Carry is much louder than a rape whistle.
When I tell my kids I'll protect them, I mean it. (this one should be accompanied by a picture or a highly visible OCed pistol; definitely bound to get some attention)

Not as catchy signs for ladies to carry:
My gun IS my rape whistle, because I shouldn't have to blow anything for a rapist. (saw it on a meme; blonde lady with a 1911:))
I'd much rather blow AWAY a rapist. (graphic, I know, but drives the point home)
I'd rather my kids see me Open Carry than have to see me in a chalk outline.

Broader use:
Criminals don't want to see me armed either. (meme)
I Open Carry to scare away criminals. (might get the CC-only bunch riled up though).
Open Carry IS the Second Amendment.
Open Carry is the beautiful face of the Second Amendment (this one is a sig line of a member here; I cannot remember their name at the moment)

Last edited:

kinggabby

How about ....

Open Carry it is George Washington approved.
Open carry because criminals hate it.
Open carry because every second matters.
Open carry because my friend needs air and sunshine too.