• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slidell area OC

ADulay

All,

I'll be in the Slidell area for a few days and just wanted to check to see if there have been any problems with the local PD with regards to open carry.

I've been OC for the last three years or so and am familiar with "normal" OC protocol around most areas that I frequent. I also have a Florida CC permit so that should cover me on concealed carry.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

georg jetson

Carry on my friend. I have first hand knowledgr that Slidell's Chief Smith has trained his officers properly with regards to oc rights. The Sheriff of St Tammany parish has done similarly with his deputies.

ADulay

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I'll most probably be there for two days on each side of a west Texas trip next week.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

ADulay

All,

Just finished up 5 full days of open carry in your excellent state.

From basically Slidell to Baton Rouge with zero problems at all.

No bar hopping, obviously, but everything else you need to do for a week.

I'll will be very glad when we finally get open carry in Florida as it's still the easiest and most comfortable way to carry a normal sidearm.

AD

jrich

Carry on my friend. I have first hand knowledgr that Slidell's Chief Smith has trained his officers properly with regards to oc rights. The Sheriff of St Tammany parish has done similarly with his deputies.

Good to know. I used to live in Mandeville and go to St. Tammany Parish often. I conceal and open carry. Based on experience I find open carry to be the best deterrent.

jrich

All,

Just finished up 5 full days of open carry in your excellent state.

From basically Slidell to Baton Rouge with zero problems at all.

No bar hopping, obviously, but everything else you need to do for a week.

I'll will be very glad when we finally get open carry in Florida as it's still the easiest and most comfortable way to carry a normal sidearm.

AD

Isn't that the truth. I conceal carry but often times I open carry. For example when I walk around my neighborhood for exercise I find it more comfortable to open carry using and outside the waistband holster. I had one experience that serves as a good example of the benefit of open carry. I was walking down one side of the street and a couple with a large Rottweiler was walking down the other. The dog looked very aggressive and was tugging hard at the leash when he saw me. The dog owners saw my gun strapped on my right side from across the street and I could see they made an extra effort to control their dog. The mere site of my handgun reinforced the idea I am not taking any crap off their big bad dog. They better be extra vigilant and control their animal, and they knew it.

Last edited: