• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So the newspeek/social rhetoric over ‘mass’ shootings begins yet again.

solus

It is not rhetoric. It is eristic. Rhetoric seeks truth. Eristic seeks to defeat the opponent.

Merriam-Webster doesn’t use the word truth or any synonyms for truth, but in fact mentions insincere.. therefore dougie, this eristic conversation is finished.

solus

The lecture continues. Do not indulge the dictionary fallacy, that a dictionary defines proper use of a word.

Discussion is the proper word thank you...might wish to check your Funk and Wagnalls dougie on your word usage!
http://www.funkandwagnalls.com/

Oh dougie...i know what your problem is...the word lecture is from the late latin period 2-3 AD not the ancient greek in BC era so the word might be known in your vocabulary.

Last edited:

Ghost1958

It's an election year. Anyone NOT expect more and more mass attacks ?

If so hold on to your hat, there will be more and more frequent until the election is over or the Senate caves in on gun control.

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
Quite coincidentally I have just come across “individual laws of Lycurgus were called ‘rhetras’.”

ETA much later: Even more unlikely, “Archilochus lost his shield as he fled a lost battle, and he remarked of the fact:

’Some Thracian now has the pleasure of owning the shield, I unwillingly threw into the bushes. It was a perfectly good shield, but I had to save myself. Let it go. Why care about that shield? I will get another just as good.’

It says something of the changing mood of the Spartans that such sentiments were now unacceptable.
[ ... ]
... importance of holding the battleline shoulder-to-shoulder with one’s comrades, the Spartans had no time for self-declared ‘cowards’. When Archilochus visited Sparta, the Ephors ordered him out of town. (Valerius Maximus 6.3) “

(Excerpt from: "Sparta: Rise of a Warrior Nation" by Philip Matyszak. Scribd. This material may be protected by copyright.)

Last edited:

solus

It is not rhetoric. It is eristic. Rhetoric seeks truth. Eristic seeks to defeat the opponent.
The lecture continues. Do not indulge the dictionary fallacy, that a dictionary defines proper use of a word.
Quite coincidentally I have just come across “individual laws of Lycurgus were called ‘rhetras’.”
(Excerpt from: "Sparta: Rise of a Warrior Nation" by Philip Matyszak. Scribd. This material may be protected by copyright.)

Thanks for your enlighten commentary ~ nothing of substance ~ but commentary nonetheless!