• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something i dont understand

Radisma

imported post

openryan wrote:
Radisma wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
To answer your question about holsters. A holster is a holster, in your case it has to be visible. Many people will tell you that a thigh rig will get you much more unwanted attention than a standard hip holster. It really comes down to personal preference.

Yeah ive tried a few hip holsters but the gun i own is a Jericho (Baby eagle) 9mm...so its hard to find a good holster for it...

The one i have i can wear fine on my hip but it jsut feels kinda wonky like its hanging a bit to much.

Ive wanted to buy a new one but most the holsters ive found are for glocks and such... when i turn 21 ill buy my own glock from a FFL but for now i like my Jericho.

Ill probably stick with the thigh holster but ill look into it a bit more.

I still dont understand though how its legal to OC at 18+ but you have to be 21+ to CC ( and to get a CDWL ) Anyone have a explanation for this?

trying to explain aloto f this to my friends and family but they dont understand how its legal to OC at 18+ but not CC until 21+.....so im not sure what to tell them lol
I don't know what their reasoning was...

Statistically speaking though, most criminals do not open carry.

People who OC usually hold themselves to a higher social standard as well, but I don't know exactly how that would play into their deeming of when you can CC.

Not to mock you or anything, but you don't really need an explanation except to humor yourself... it comes down to that what you want to do is legal, if you want to cc wait until you are 21... or of course try to get the law changed ;)

Don't tell them anything, tell them to look up the statutes for themselves:p

Yeah actually honestly i DONT want to CC.... i just always thought "Well hey you have to be 21 to get a CCDWL so that must mean you have to have that license AND be 21 to OC"

I honestly planned on never CC'ing unless i just had to ( mayby it is super cld and i wear a big jacket ) so if all this info im getting is in the right i may not even bother with a CCDWL and ill just start OC'ing this weekend.

Wish i would have had aloto f this info alot sooner.

And super yeah i thought about that.

In regards to #1 saying yes couldnt they TECHNICALLY try to get you for impersinating a officer :p

lol and yeha ive always held myself in a profesional manor so idl ove to OC to 1) show people i love my rights and 2) to possibly educate people.

gator

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Congrats onthe decision to excerciseto exercise your right, Radisma.

Just a little friendly advice:

If you do carry, it will only be a matter of time before you run into several "types" of people. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". These people are:

1) The "Are you a cop?" asker. It is tempting to just say yes, and avoid follow up questions, orthe panicked look of confused fear in the person's eyes, but this is a no-no. Avoid the temptation for smart-alecky answers as well. A calm "No, I'm a legally armed citizen" is a good answer.

2) The question asker. "What do you have to do to carry one? What type of gun is that? Have you ever shot anybody?" You'll eventually have someone ask you every question they can think of about your gun.

3) The gun hater. "I don't see what you need that for. Guns are evil. You're evil" etc. Ignore the attempts to lure you into a confrontation or arguement. The only fight you can win with these idiots is a gunfight. Anything else andyou will just come off as a hothead with a gun. That is not good. Walk away from these nut jobs.

Just remember, when people see you carrying, you are representing ALL OF US PEOPLE WHO CARRY. Although it may be very tempting to toss them a smart remark, this will only make them, or anyone who hears it think "People who carry guns are jerks." That is not doing the Second Amendment any favors.

+100

Just remember your actions will be ultra over scrutinized while OCing!!!!!!!!

Radisma

imported post

300RUM wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
Congrats onthe decision to excerciseto exercise your right, Radisma.

Just a little friendly advice:

If you do carry, it will only be a matter of time before you run into several "types" of people. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". These people are:

1) The "Are you a cop?" asker. It is tempting to just say yes, and avoid follow up questions, orthe panicked look of confused fear in the person's eyes, but this is a no-no. Avoid the temptation for smart-alecky answers as well. A calm "No, I'm a legally armed citizen" is a good answer.

2) The question asker. "What do you have to do to carry one? What type of gun is that? Have you ever shot anybody?" You'll eventually have someone ask you every question they can think of about your gun.

3) The gun hater. "I don't see what you need that for. Guns are evil. You're evil" etc. Ignore the attempts to lure you into a confrontation or arguement. The only fight you can win with these idiots is a gunfight. Anything else andyou will just come off as a hothead with a gun. That is not good. Walk away from these nut jobs.

Just remember, when people see you carrying, you are representing ALL OF US PEOPLE WHO CARRY. Although it may be very tempting to toss them a smart remark, this will only make them, or anyone who hears it think "People who carry guns are jerks." That is not doing the Second Amendment any favors.

+100

Just remember your actions will be ultra over scrutinized while OCing!!!!!!!!

Yeah luckily i always dress nicely so i wont have to change that and ive never been one of those stupid young kids. Always presented myself profesionally so im looking forward to excersing my rights

TrueBrit

imported post

Radisma.

Welcome to OCDO, Sir!

Let me have a wild stab at this OC at 18, CC at 21 thing!

Failure on the part of the lawmakers in Frankfort to do their homework!

When CC was passed in 1996 in KY, 21 was chosen as the magic number.Same as most other states, I believe, and OC was never really considered.CC generates money, OC does not.(In KY, anyway, where no permit is needed for OC.)

Further more, our lawmakers probably overlooked the fact that one may, in KY,legally buy a handgun ln a private sale at 18,and, if one is legal to own,one is legal to OC.

They probably fixed on the fact that 21 is the age one has to attain tobuy a handgun from a FFL holder,and overlooked the private sale deal.

This would be my guess as to why things are as they are, but , then, I never saw any kind of gun law that made any sense at all!Did you?;)

Well done, it is good to have another man on board holding the OC line! Most encouraging to an old fart like me to see plenty of young fellers joining in!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Radisma.

Welcome to OCDO, Sir!

Let me have a wild stab at this OC at 18, CC at 21 thing!

Failure on the part of the lawmakers in Frankfort to do their homework!

When CC was passed in 1996 in KY, 21 was chosen as the magic number.Same as most other states, I believe, and OC was never really considered.CC generates money, OC does not.(In KY, anyway, where no permit is needed for OC.)

Further more, our lawmakers probably overlooked the fact that one may, in KY,legally buy a handgun ln a private sale at 18,and, if one is legal to own,one is legal to OC.

They probably fixed on the fact that 21 is the age one has to attain tobuy a handgun from a FFL holder,and overlooked the private sale deal.

This would be my guess as to why things are as they are, but , then, I never saw any kind of gun law that made any sense at all!Did you?;)

Well done, it is good to have another man on board holding the OC line! Most encouraging to an old fart like me to see plenty of young fellers joining in!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.
Radisma, you would do well to seek the counsel of TrueBrit. He is a most extraoardinary gentleman.

TrueBrit

imported post

My friend from Joliet is far too kind, I am merely an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to the lawful carriage of defensive weaponry.Our new comrade Radisma has in fact sought my advice privately and, for what it may be worth , I have made one or two suggestions that might prove useful to him. Only too pleased to try and assist him.

TrueBrit.

Fallguy

imported post

I agree with TrueBrit in that it was simply an oversight....they didn't think about OC at all, let alone that you can OC at 18.

Not to start this thread in a different direction, but this just takes me back to the whole 18 for some things, but 21 for others.

Smoking is so bad for you, that they can't advertise it on TV and have heavy restrictions elsewhere, almost don't see it on TV or in the movies any more, but you can buy cigs whenyou are 18. Alcohol (beer and liquor)is advertised on TV, shown in TV programs and movies and so on, but you can't buy it till you are 21. (Thanks to the feds) For the record, I do both at times.

You can serve your country and die for it at 18, but in some states you wouldn't be allowed to carry ahandgun as a civilian.

TN passed the no-smoking law that basically outlaws smoking in any public building. One of the exceptions is places that restrict admittance to those 21 or older. But why 21 if you can smoke at 18?

Anyway....sorry about the rant....I'm well past both of those ages, but it still bothers me...some one needs to decided once and for all, are you an adult at 18 or 21!

Radisma

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
You can serve your country and die for it at 18, but in some states you wouldn't be allowed to carry ahandgun as a civilian.

That is one of the biggest thingsi always try to harp on.

Its like im 18 i can go to war and die for my country but i cant buy booze or a handgun?

I guess that means we shouldnt issue our new Army / Marine recruits who are bellow 21 handguns... RIFLES ONLY!

lol oh well

v8shoguy

imported post

I guess I never thought of it that way... I had a full year of OC experience and didn't even realize it.I was married to an M-9, M-4 and M-249, OC at all times. Guess I'm one of the fewpeople here who have ever OC'd an automatic weapon on city streets. :)