• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Charlotte Ranges

ArmySoldier22

A week ago, my step dad had surgery on his lower back and he came to the realization last night that he can't defend himself as well as he used to. So he called me up about an hour ago to talk about both open carry and concealed carry, pistol purchase permits, and things like that. This weekend I'll be going down there and taking my parents out to the range so that they can both get a feel for my .40, and we'll branch out from there and see where their comfort level is and what best suits them. So I was wondering if anybody near the area had any good suggestions for ranges that offer rentals. Good ammo prices would be nice as well. Eagle Guns near me is great, and has discounted prices for ammo used on the range, but that's a bit farther than they wanna drive.

Any suggestions so I can help bring in a couple more OC'ers?

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
That's great that your folks are looking into their options on this. Kind of a shame that it took feeling old to convince your stepdad to consider carrying but late is better than never. Sorry I can't make any range suggestions since the only one I've ever been to is Eagle Guns. Good luck and I hope they'll consider coming to a meet or two.

drew9

A week ago, my step dad had surgery on his lower back and he came to the realization last night that he can't defend himself as well as he used to. So he called me up about an hour ago to talk about both open carry and concealed carry, pistol purchase permits, and things like that. This weekend I'll be going down there and taking my parents out to the range so that they can both get a feel for my .40, and we'll branch out from there and see where their comfort level is and what best suits them. So I was wondering if anybody near the area had any good suggestions for ranges that offer rentals. Good ammo prices would be nice as well. Eagle Guns near me is great, and has discounted prices for ammo used on the range, but that's a bit farther than they wanna drive.

Any suggestions so I can help bring in a couple more OC'ers?

I don't know whereabouts your parents live, apparently I am damn close to eagle guns and I have never even heard of it!:lol: I don't know how far of a drive it would be, but I recommend Sportsman in Rock Hill. The reason is that it's decently priced, wife and I paid 30 and change for an hour range time, a rental gun, a box of ammo and a target. You can swap guns out (same caliber) for no charge. If you go during the week, I'm told it's not very busy, and It wasn't busy on the day we went.(think it was a thursday or friday) I would just make sure you have ear protection and safety glasses, i'm not sure if they charge for them or not. The only other range I have used is Shooters Express in Belmont (might be considered Gastonia) and they are fairly expensive, in my opinion. You only get 30 minutes of time, and I took my father there to shoot my gun with my ammo and it cost almost 30 dollars.

ArmySoldier22

LCK - Thanks, I'll have to see if they're interested in coming to any of them.

drew - They're about half a mile from carowinds. Eagle guns has a pretty nice range, i enjoy using it. And they allow open carry as well. I'm not sure if they charge by half an hour, or an hour. All I know is that I usually pay $20 for range time while I'm there, and I'm usually there for about 45 minutes. Their range ammo is a few bucks cheaper too. They don't have any whitebox in their range ammo lineup, but some of their other ammo choices are just as cheap.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

Looks like I'll be going to the one down in Rock Hill, thanks for that recommendation drew. Just bought 250 rounds about half an hour ago. I already think my moms going to have problems firing the .40, but we'll see. Even if she does, I'll gladly fire off most of those myself lol. I'm thinking she might be more comfortable with the 9, but like I said, we'll have to see.

drew9

Looks like I'll be going to the one down in Rock Hill, thanks for that recommendation drew. Just bought 250 rounds about half an hour ago. I already think my moms going to have problems firing the .40, but we'll see. Even if she does, I'll gladly fire off most of those myself lol. I'm thinking she might be more comfortable with the 9, but like I said, we'll have to see.

Glad to hear it. Not sure how old your parents were, but Chris (40 something mother who works at Carolina Sporting Arms) shoots a 40 or 45, I believe. My dad shot my .40 high point just fine, He's 71. The thing he didn't like was the weight of the gun. But that was expected considering it probably weighs 2-4 pounds loaded, lol. On a side note, I put $200 down on a Taurus PT111 Pro for my wife to shoot and open carry when we go out. She hasn't shot it yet, so I might wind up carrying it if it's still too much, lol. I put it on lay away, still waiting on the damn purchase permit.