• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Dakota is NOT a gold star state

Jared

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out or not on this site, but South Dakota is not a gold star state. I found these two sections of law.

Is there any push to repeal these two sections of law. Can any SD resident please bring this to the attention of their rep and senator? Do NOT wait around for the NRA to do this.

No person may carry a firearm while on a snowmobile unless the firearm is completely unloaded and completely encased.(SDCL 32-20A-11)

No person may carry a firearm while on a motorcycle unless that person has a concealed pistol permit.(SDCL 32-20-6.6)

aadvark

The Law concerning Motorcycle Carry is, within my Opinion, something that maybe..., perhaps, has something to do with Sturgis.
The Law regarding Snowmobile Carry is probably something to do with Hunting.
However, these are only my guesses..., as I am not sure why South Dakota would have either of these two Laws.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
There is another thread here that talks about motorcycle carry...
I would agree that South Dakota is not a gold star state, not because of the reasons in OP, but because OC is uncommon and generally not appreciated in SD's population centers. This may not have been true in the past, and I hope it won't be true in the future.

XDSTEEL

As long as you have a CCW permit from any state they will honor that ccw
• A concealed pistol permit is not required to carry a pistol which is
1) in a trunk or other closed compartment .(SDCL 22-14-10of a vehicle, or
2) in a closed container which is too large to be effectively concealed on the person or within his clothing)

5. No person may carry a firearm while on a motorcycle unless that person has a concealed pistol permit.(SDCL 32-20-6.6)

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

I carry openly in Spearfish, Sturgis, Rapid City, Custer and all the little towns in between. I have had very few hassles, and NO confrontations with the police. Most people simply don't even notice.

Let's not borrow trouble here, folks.