• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield City Council voting to lobby the state to put city parks on prohibited CC list

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Springfield City Council is having a public meeting on 10/27/08 to discuss the unanimous Sfld Parks Dept motion for the city to petition the state legislature to add city parks to the prohibited CC list. MO carry.org is trying to get as many people as possible opposing the ban. The parks dept admits there have been no problems sparking the measure, but rather that they suggest it preemptively to protect the children.
http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24124&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

How does this apply to OC? Well, several cities, such as O'Fallon, have the same rules for OC as CC and just lifted the language straight out of the state statute. This means that in several MO cities, further restrictions on CC = further restrictions on OC.

I cannot attend unfortunately. Anyone who can, please do.

ETA: corrected link

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Don't they remember that the Kirkwood City Council meeting space was a prohibited CC place? That certainly didn't stop two police officers, three council members and a zoning officer from being killed, or the mayor being shot in the face, or the newspaper reporter from being shot in the hand.

Prohibited Carry = Free Fire Zone for Nutjobs

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

According to a poster on missouricarry.com who was there:

The mayor was literally sweating when he thought that the CCW issue was going to be separated from the rest of the bill and still voted upon. I mean as in mopping his brow sweating. He did NOT want that issue opened to public input.

I really got the impression that the Mayor and the majority of the council thought it would be a non-controversial issue and were horrified at the turnout. When registering to speak on the topic, one was asked if one was for or against the ban so undoubtedly the council knew how heavily the turnout was weighted in favor of CCW.

When it was decided to table the issue and allow no discussion tonight, I'd estimate that about half the room, approx. 40-50 people got up and walked out. Unfortunately for the Mayor and council, so did reporters for at least one TV station, a newspaper, and two radio stations. Out in the hallway, MoInstructor was interviewed by all of them and got WAY more than five minutes to present his case. At least some of that should have been on the 10:00 p.m. TV-3 News.

Elgar Macy, Selfdefenseisaright, and myself gave a long, detailed interview to a very nice reporter from KSMU-FM. She said it will be on the 6:30 a.m. morning show. Between all of us, we had a chance to present much more of the issues than would have been possible given the five minute time limits of the council meeting. And instead of just being part of a string of brief presentations we were able to go into considerable depth with the reporters and really explain the issues. I think that's going to come back and bite the council if they attempt to pass their parks CCW ban as a lobbying agenda at their next meeting.

[line]
Here's a link to an article about it: http://www.ky3.com/news/local/33422929.html

The comments are almost all opposed to the proposed ban.

And another: http://www.news-leader.com/article/20081028/NEWS01/810280390?GID=0

More mixed bag of replies there.