• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stand Your Ground Maps

vermonter

Since admin refuses to put up relevant maps and prefers to display "machine gun ownership" which is totally useless to OC or CC, I have decided to post some of my own. I need to know what states I can actually defend myself, and where I need leave my gun in my trunk by law when I go shopping, not where I can
own full auto....

Here is Stand your ground. It is incorrect - You can add Montana and Idaho as full stand your ground states. They should be green...

http://redensign.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/castle-doctrine-and-stand-your-ground3.jpg

Here is one from the NRA for just castle doctrine: http://www.nraila.org/maps/cd.jpg

Here is one from '09: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...doctrine+map&hl=en&sa=X&gbv=2&tbm=isch&itbs=1

Another map we need is for Signs having "weight of law" in private establishments. handgunlaw.us shows it state by state, but someone needs to make a map and post it for all to see.

I wish admin would listen to the PPL who make up this board. You have a right to know the laws and not have to search piecemeal to find out!!!!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
And they've got Virginia wrong. We have been a "stand your ground" state (it;s what is known as a "true man state") since 1607 with no duty to retreat, as long as you have a legal right to be where you are and are not party to the encounter (think instigator/escalator).

Last edited:

rodbender

Although I agree that a map for "Stand Your Ground " states would be very useful to this site, "Full Auto" map is extremely useful to the ones of us that have them and want to transport to another state.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And they've got Virginia wrong. We have been a "stand your ground" state (it;s what is known as a "true man state") since 1607 with no duty to retreat, as long as you have a legal right to be where you are and are not party to the encounter (think instigator/escalator).

+100

Map fail.

Gil223

Since admin refuses to put up relevant maps and prefers to display "machine gun ownership" which is totally useless to OC or CC, I have decided to post some of my own. I need to know what states I can actually defend myself, and where I need leave my gun in my trunk by law when I go shopping, not where I can
own full auto....

I agree completely. The only relevance full-auto might have in an OC setting is if somebody is actually carrying something like a Glock-18C, a MAC-10A1A, a Turkish Zagana or an Uzi. I've never met anyone packing any of those on their hip...

Here is Stand your ground. It is incorrect - You can add Montana and Idaho as full stand your ground states. They should be green...

http://redensign.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/castle-doctrine-and-stand-your-ground3.jpg

Here is one from the NRA for just castle doctrine: http://www.nraila.org/maps/cd.jpg

Your map was very informative, so I saved it into my 'gun stuff' directory, and I will color MT and ID green (eventually). Thanks so much for the link! However, as has been previously mentioned, the NRA link is a "page not found" dead end, but the aforementioned map compensates for it. :D

Another map we need is for Signs having "weight of law" in private establishments. handgunlaw.us shows it state by state, but someone needs to make a map and post it for all to see.

I wish admin would listen to the PPL who make up this board. You have a right to know the laws and not have to search piecemeal to find out!!!!

I also agree that we should be allowed forum access to any information regarding handguns, their posession, carrying and lawful use in general. Who can say what is relative to any other individual's need for info?

Excellent, thought-provoking and informative post! Pax...

Dreamer

NC passed a basic "Castle Doctrine" statute years ago, and as of 1. Dec 2011 adopted a more comprehensive Stand Your Ground statute which extends "no duty to retreat" to your vehicle, or any place you legally have a right to be.

NC should be Green.

Gunslinger

Map is incorrect. CO was the first state in the nation with the "make my day law."

The term "Make My Day Law" arose at the time of the 1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force – including deadly force – against an invader of the home.[4] The law's nickname is a reference to the line "Go ahead, make my day" uttered by actor Clint Eastwood's character Harry Callahan in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, inviting a suspect to make himself liable to deadly retaliation by attacking Eastwood's character.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
California is also a "stand your ground" state. The law allows you to intervene in defense of another as well. Also, there is a decent castle law in California.

since9

Campaign Veteran
own full auto....

The map has serious errors! In addition to the two you mentioned, Virginia should not be red. Colorado should be yellow, as we don't have a "stand your ground law" per se', but the laws we do have on the books both allow for armed self-defense without any requirement for retreat. So, it's a de-facto "stand your ground" state.

protias

The map has serious errors! In addition to the two you mentioned, Virginia should not be red. Colorado should be yellow, as we don't have a "stand your ground law" per se', but the laws we do have on the books both allow for armed self-defense without any requirement for retreat. So, it's a de-facto "stand your ground" state.

And WI should be yellow as we finally received Castle Doctrine in 12/11.

vermonter

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the dead link. This is why I implore the Admin to put up correct "stand your ground " and "signs - weight of law" Maps. When I travel I would like to know these important thing. Other maps like "disclosure to officer" would be nice too.